Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Whilst i agree its harsh to judge him off 1 praccy match, he looked no better than any ruckmen running around in suburban footy if he even looked that good.

nikolasmia

Tiger Superstar
Sep 3, 2007
Very happy to see him in the side

Thought he competed well, got a few taps, almost clunked a few

Persist

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Think the Freo game perfect for him. Young and learning against a monster like Sandilands. Griffiths and Vickery not there to help him and nothing riding on the result. Would think he should be able to learn more out of that in an extended tussle than he would get in a month or more under different circumstances

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Ivan is just at the start of the ride yet for someone with no experience he tries and he showed a faint glimpse of what could happen for us in a couple of years. He costs nothing and not a list clogger so worth nurturing.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Ivan will have learnt heaps from Sandilands.
Just like his cousin he has an appetite for the contest. Looking forward to his next couple of games.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I thought he showed some good signs. He's competitive, he's massive, he's awkward for opponents, and I'm quietly hopeful he might earn the nickname 'Elbows' before he's done.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
spook said:
I thought he showed some good signs. He's competitive, he's massive, he's awkward for opponents, and I'm quietly hopeful he might earn the nickname 'Elbows' before he's done.

Agree. Got a bit angry at times too which is a good sign.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Tigers of Old said:
A timely reminder that this 204 cm giant isn't even 20 years old yet (April). He's a baby in ruck terms.
And he apparently only seriously considered Aussie Rules 3 years ago, before that he was a basketballer.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
CarnTheTiges said:
And he apparently only seriously considered Aussie Rules 3 years ago, before that he was a basketballer.

He has probably only played about 20 games of footy total

There is s lot to like

Had some relatively good games @ VFL level last year & actually took some good strong contested marks ( Unlike beany :) )

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Tiger Ghost said:
Whilst i agree its harsh to judge him off 1 praccy match, he looked no better than any ruckmen running around in suburban footy if he even looked that good.

Yes but the competition he was playing against were sure not suburban comp ruckmen, but big, tough, wily and seasoned AFL giants including the biggest of them all. A 20 year old who has barely played a season. Give us a break. A long time before the jury has to come back with a final verdict on him.

Needs another couple years in the system at least. Tracking well considering.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
zippadeee said:
Daniel currie should've been on our radar, not this bloke.
Nonsense . Maybe we should have got another ruck but Soldo is not even on our list of 44, he is an extra rookie ! We don't expect him to be a player until he is 22-23 and from what I have seen he is tracking well. 2-3 years away but he is an investment and not meant to solve 2016's problem.

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
Hey Zips, Soldo is a category B rookie, and as such is outside the main and normal rookie lists. He's a free kick - we didn't choose him instead of anyone else.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Looking for some brighter news this week, and little Ivan got a nice writeup on the RFC website ...

With Ivvy off in the last quarter, Soldo had to do the ruckwork alone and seemed to be crucial in the team's final quarter of 7 goals 8. Words like "heroics" and "evolution" were used by the Punt Rd PR machine.

I saw the previous VFL match (second half) and thought Soldo was influential in our final quarter steamrolling of the Hawks.

AFL's a big step up though.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
For someone who has only two years of football his upside is immense and he is very athletic for someone who is 204cm.

In two years he will be a very dominant ruckman for us.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
se7en said:
When do we start pumping his tyres as the second coming?

Sounds like the club has got to work on the foot pump, just a matter of time for us vocal/ silent majority/ minority to lift him high on our strong shoulders but weak patience.