Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Tiger Ghost

Tiger Superstar
Nov 19, 2010
Your mums house
Only at Richmond do we recruit a bloke who has never played footy because his cousin said it would be good and he is tall. We wait 6 years to decide he's a spud.
Surely and i mean surely there is a 200cm kid in the land who has played footy all his life and would be more worthy of a shot and more likely to succeed.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Tiger Ghost said:
Only at Richmond do we recruit a bloke who has never played footy because his cousin said it would be good and he is tall. We wait 6 years to decide he's a spud.
Surely and i mean surely there is a 200cm kid in the land who has played footy all his life and would be more worthy of a shot and more likely to succeed.

have you seen him play ?

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Tiger Ghost said:

Did Hampsons cousin recommend him?
8 years later.... He's still on an afl list

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Someone should seriously speartackle our recruiting staff the minute they look in the Carlton direction.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Tiger Ghost said:

I umpired him in one of his first practice matches before he was on our list.

It was obvious he had never played Aussie rules as the midfielders continually had to direct him where to run and how to position himself.

That aside he played for 3 quarters in 32 degree heat and then played another half in the next match.

I would have given him 3 votes for his performance even though he only played for 3 quarters.

I found out later on that year when we B class rookie listed him who that player was.

B

Bill James

yandb said:
For someone who has only two years of football his upside is immense and he is very athletic for someone who is 204cm.

In two years he will be a very dominant ruckman for us.
Going high or starting low?

blutiga

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 26, 2014
He looked embarrassing when I saw him at a Punt Road curtain raiser. I'd love to be proved wrong.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Looked more than capable when I saw him against Box Hill 2 weeks ago. Obviously played a good game on the weekend.

Let's keep the negativity to the coaches. Although McRae seems to be doing a fine job the last 6 weeks.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I like Soldo. Some were keen on Billy Longer, but they obviously didn't see Soldo take on him, Holmes and Pearce (?) a couple of months ago.

Only 20? 204, athletic? Aggressive? Keep.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
spook said:
I like Soldo. Some were keen on Billy Longer, but they obviously didn't see Soldo take on him, Holmes and Pearce (?) a couple of months ago.

Only 20? 204, athletic? Aggressive? Keep.

Definitely. His improvement is one of the highlights of the year.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Tigerflag2008 said:
Although McRae seems to be doing a fine job the last 6 weeks.

I think McRae has done well all season. Massive turnover of our VFL listed players and we've drafted a bunch of new people. It was always going to take some time for them to gel, it does with any team.

Moving on the previous VFL supervisor (I don't want to call him coach) will have a benefit to us, no doubt. Soldo is one example of this.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Ivan was pretty good on Saturday. He still gets lost at times. And he can put his head down at exactly the wrong time. (This needs work. They'll kill him in the AFL.) He switches off.

But he can get air and he will get to the ball at peak point and mark it. His tap work is often very good. He's not getting enough ball yet. And he is a bit unaware at times.

But he only turned 20 in April. He's very young for a ruck prospect. And in my own mind I count him as a rookie ruck now. Not as a bottom of the harbour loophole. He's still a long way off AFL level but at least he's now some kind of prospect and improving.

Ruck stocks for 2017. One change/reserve ruck. One rookie ruck.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My Melbourne supporting mate used to say Gawn is gone when he was about 22 and looked useless playing vfl. Jacobs looked like a lumbering log at 20, Hickey is showing good signs after 5-6 years in the system.

I reckon we should be pretty happy where Soldo is at aged 20 but we shouldn't expect any significant output for 2-3 years yet.

No way we should even consider letting him go.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Sintiger said:
My Melbourne supporting mate used to say Gawn is gone when he was about 22 and looked useless playing vfl. Jacobs looked like a lumbering log at 20, Hickey is showing good signs after 5-6 years in the system.

I reckon we should be pretty happy where Soldo is at aged 20 but we shouldn't expect any significant output for 2-3 years yet.

No way we should even consider letting him go.

I agree. We need to be mindful he grew up not playing footy. Good signs from reading last page of thread.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Stood close to him last week, has totally changed his body over the past 2 years, at least looks fit an strong like an AFL ruckman now