Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

Had a good crack and should be proud but he just isn’t coordinated enough to be playing at the top level.

Have a look and Sauce Jacobs at the same age. No better than Soldo and was playing Carlton vfl, now the best tap ruckman in the AFL.

We would be crazy to delist him

Sintiger said:
Have a look and Sauce Jacobs at the same age. No better than Soldo and was playing Carlton vfl, now the best tap ruckman in the AFL.

We would be crazy to delist him
Not sure why comparing him to one of the AFLs best rucks and assuming he,ll turn out the same is the best way to decide.

So according to some posters if a ruckman doesn't make it at the age of 21 we should delist him.

He was a free swing as a B class rookie and isn't costing us much so make the decision next season.

I have seen enough from him this year to suggest his improvement is continuing on a satisfactory trajectory.

tigertim said:
Not sure why comparing him to one of the AFLs best rucks and assuming he,ll turn out the same is the best way to decide.
I didn't say he will turn out as good as Jacobs. I simply pointed out that judging him on what he does now is wrong

He is a kid. A bit uncoordinated but improving at a rapid rate.

You don't let a ruck go at his stage who has shown a few signs and is still improving ! We have invested a lot in him and he may make it or not but to give up now would be crazy

Sintiger said:
I didn't say he will turn out as good as Jacobs. I simply pointed out that judging him on what he does now is wrong

He is a kid. A bit uncoordinated but improving at a rapid rate.

You don't let a ruck go at his stage who has shown a few signs and is still improving ! We have invested a lot in him and he may make it or not but to give up now would be crazy

Spot on. Some posters really lack imagination re the comparison with Jacobs is valid in terms of potential improvement, or fail to even take notice of observable facts such as how much he advanced in 2017.

There's no guarantees but he might enable us to again avoid expending a high pick on a pure, very big ruck with no other likely position. It's worth the risk with cover from Nank, Hampson and Griffiths (assuming he continues) for now.

Earns a bump. I reckon we have something with Ivan. Seen him at training looking leaner and more mobile. It was confirmed last night, he did pretty well against a team with 3 strong talls. I don't think he will overtake Nank but they both bring something different and are very complimentary. Ivan is a giant. Ivan's major weakness however is his kicking but it is improving.

We will be singing his praises by the end of the year.

TigerFlag2017 said:
Earns a bump. I reckon we have something with Ivan. Seen him at training looking leaner and more mobile. It was confirmed last night, he did pretty well against a team with 3 strong talls. I don't think he will overtake Nank but they both bring something different and are very complimentary. Ivan is a giant. Ivan's major weakness however is his kicking but it is improving.

We will be singing his praises by the end of the year.
Yes I thought he was good last night, I liked his second and third efforts. Is a long way ahead of Chol as s ruck option.

Two weeks back against the Bullants Ivan Soldo played one of the worst halves of football ever played at any level. By half time he was frogmarchable. If he could be bothered.

I did not observe the delivery but I am certain that the coach gave him a message of much that nature at half time. The good news is that Little Ivvy's ears work a lot harder than the rest of him had done the previous hour.

He bungled a lot after that but eh, he hadn't played any football for almost a year. (And even then not much.) But after half time Ivan Soldo was a very busy chap. You'd almost have thought he was in a hurry. He got tired.

The reasons Soldo plays the way he usually don't matter now. What does matter is that Soldo is maturing. And beginning to flourish.

The first myth he has dispelled about himself is the one about his athleticism. He can jump at least as high as anybody on the park and is not far off as quick either. He has what now appear to be natural positioning smarts.

The second myth that is now G-O-N-E is that Little Ivvy lacks smarts. He has a point guard's mind. He's beginning to learn how that adaots to football. He brilliantly toe poked a ball through to team mate in space yesterday. Jack Riewoldt can do stuff like that three times a year. Nobody else can.

At the level Ivan Soldo excels at football. If he does it in four consecutive real VFL games he forces his way into the ones. If he keeps improving just as he did DURING yesterday's praccy match it will be as #1 ruck.

On the flip side it was just a practice match at VFA level. Ivvy Junior gave us a bit of a glimpse. He was probably the most impressive player on the ground.

There is a lot of hype around Balta from yesterday’s vfl game and rightly so from what I saw but that is the first time I have seen this guy really impact a game and be a massive presence at the vfl level.

The upwards trajectory continues for Ivan

Sintiger said:
There is a lot of hype around Balta from yesterday’s vfl game and rightly so from what I saw but that is the first time I have seen this guy really impact a game and be a massive presence at the vfl level.

The upwards trajectory continues for Ivan

I saw it in JLT v Nth. He has developed a tank, discovered 2nd and 3rd efforts, improved his marking and overall I.Q.
Has stepped out of his cousins shadow. Impressive transformation. Just needs to improve pack marking. Doesn't get air. Yet!

was it a case that Soldo was simply too big for the port part time ruck? ie was it a strong competition for him?

Tigers of Old said:
It’s awesome that he’s emerging. Well ahead of Hampson as backup ruck now.

Yep, just give him time.
The big guys take a little longer for everything to click.

tigerdell said:
was it a case that Soldo was simply too big for the port part time ruck? ie was it a strong competition for him?

Sometimes having a slightly weaker opponent can make everything come together and build confidence.

taztiger4 said:
I thought he was just about BOG yesterday a LOT to like

x2.

looked like an AFL ruckman in the VFL.

I'd go so far as to describe his game as colossal.