Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

T-Shirt Tommy said:
He keeps on improving - that's the key.

People need to realise that he's coming from a long way back. AFAIK, he didn't play any junior footy.

The rate in which he has improved from when he first started is very impressive.

And he can mark the footy. As a ruckman, you're halfway there if you can clunk it IMO.

You keep talking about him in the present tense. Haven't you heard? He died yesterday. Some sniper in the crowd shot him in the 4th quarter and he went down like a bag of poop. R.I.P Soldo. A promising career cut short

nikolasmia said:
He is already a better mark than Hampton and a better kick .

The club would absolutely thrilled with his development .

Should be eleveTed next week

Love to see some comic relief on these threads. Did you mean the Crows player? But who is Ted?

:spin

CarnTheTiges said:
He wasn't bad at all. Certainly improved from last season. Nice how he milked the 50 from the late but slight contact Grundy made on him.
mate milked it some were out there's a cow that's udderless

We havent got the people to develop kids.
Ivan has more chance being a regular keeper at StAlbans then ever getting a senior game for us.
Saw nothing to be excited about.

Maric. Solodo. Hampson. Griffens. Elton.
This would match the teams of the late 90's

Hey Zips have you have already made your mind on a 20 year old ruckman and that we should delist him now?

Hello Newman said:
I can only assume that Soldo is on Richmonds 'Elite Talls Development Program'. Probably on the same program as Elton so he can most likely expect another 2-3 years on the rookie list. We have no idea how to draft/develop talls and are now relying on Sydney's fourth choice ruckman as our saviour. At least Nank has had a few years in the system that was able to turn a Canadian rugby player into an AFL premiership ruckman in 3 years, cos he ain't going to learn a thing at Tigerland.
Yep.
So long ago since we recruited and developed a ruckman of our own.
Mark Lee?

holy crap..steady on naysayers....the kid went okay..slotted a nice goal and could of had 2 more.but went a bit wonky there...plenty to like.the kids 20....

Went better than expected. Not sure that he is ready for an upgrade.

For those in the know can he actually be upgraded from a B grade rookie to the senior list?

leon said:
Love to see some comic relief on these threads. Did you mean the Crows player? But who is Ted?

:spin

glad you are so easily amused with spell checking software Leon.

Knock yourself out brutha ;)

keen vfl blokes Taztiger and Caesar were very bullish about Soldo preseason.

Soldo's development has exploded over the last 6 months.

Still very raw, but now knows how to take a big grab, and play the big man game. Also very competent in the ruck. Would be a good time to give him a taste, as we don't really have a better option.

Maric will give us what we know he will give us. Soldo may struggle, or he may give us what he did in the VFL this week. Which would be more than enough.

Coburgtiger said:
Soldo's development has exploded over the last 6 months.

Still very raw,
but now knows how to take a big grab, and play the big man game. Also very competent in the ruck. Would be a good time to give him a taste, as we don't really have a better option.

Maric will give us what we know he will give us. Soldo may struggle, or he may give us what he did in the VFL this week. Which would be more than enough.

Sorry Coburg, but I see an oxymoron here.

TigerForce said:

CT's right, TF. Junior's immature. And he's improved 5000% in about the last nine months.

A bit more on his capabilities and why he might be a useful replacement.

First. Soldo just cannot jump like Griffens was jumping prior to that most recent concussion. Good. That wasn't working anyway. But he can touch the ball in the air. That's all he has to do. And he can catch.

Soldo just can't chase like Griffens. Few talls can. But Junior is smart. He can do the other thing - get out the back. A ruck who can get out the back is priceless - see Josh Jenkins.

Soldo is the natural foil for Nank. A very tall to complement a ground ruck. Ideal pair.

Ivan Soldo might be immature. But he's a better player than his cousin. Right now. Only lack of experience* stands between the Younger and proving that at AFL level. Let's give him the experience.

*Stamina is experience-contingent.

It is round 3, they are playing strong opposition but with only average rucks. He is the right selection.

TigerForce said:

Compare Soldo's first game last year, to his first this year, and he's changed from a guy getting the number of possessions and hit outs you could add together and then count on one hand, to a guy who could feasibly come in this week ahead of Maric.

But he still has a bit of the baby giraffes about him, and the skills can be a little shaky. He's about four or five years off his prime, but is now an option. Wouldn't have said that last year.