Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I can't stand Hawkins, he spits the dummy when they are losing and when he is getting beaten.
He kneed Vlastuin in the back a few years ago, and I can't remember who it was, but he tried to do the same thing to another Richmond player. Vlastuin was lucky he didn't get badly hurt, can lose a kidney from a dog act like that.

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Take him another 12 months of playing to get the knee right. Massive blow

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Has there been a verdict on Lynch's injury yet?

Scans have also confirmed premiership forward Tom Lynch, sustained a hamstring strain in the third quarter of last night’s game.

Lynch will miss the Tigers’ Round 18 match against Adelaide.

He will undertake a modified training program, and the Club will be in a better position to determine his availability following Round 18

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
This makes the Adelaide game absolutely vital. Double chance will give Tommy and Dion an extra week. Must win this week.

Reactions: 2 users

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
The thing is that sort of thing happens in footy all the time and I doubt the shove was done to cause serious injury, just to disrupt the play. It was unfortunate Noah's knee was forced into Ivan's knee at exactly the wrong spot. The end result I agree is a disaster for Ivan and our team. As much as I would like to see Hawkins sanctioned, I doubt it will happen
I know what your saying, but the thing is it should be out of the game. Back in the day Hawkins would have been pinged for pushing Balta in the back on a number of occasions and if he was smart he would have stopped doing it.. But these days these things seem to be let go, and here we are with a young player who's career may be in doubt. It really annoys me that players get hauled over the coals for staging (which I don't condone by the way) when this aspect of the game hurts no one and has been with us since basically day one. Ted Whitten was a master stager, so was Big Nic, used to go down like he was shot and there were plenty of others as well. But the umpires knew who the stagers were and umpired accordingly. It just seems to me that these days the direction the umpires get and the role of the match Review Committee are in the wrong areas. Also these days the umpires don't really control the game, like they did in the old days.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of rant.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
I know what your saying, but the thing is it should be out of the game. Back in the day Hawkins would have been pinged for pushing Balta in the back on a number of occasions and if he was smart he would have stopped doing it.. But these days these things seem to be let go, and here we are with a young player who's career may be in doubt. It really annoys me that players get hauled over the coals for staging (which I don't condone by the way) when this aspect of the game hurts no one and has been with us since basically day one. Ted Whitten was a master stager, so was Big Nic, used to go down like he was shot and there were plenty of others as well. But the umpires knew who the stagers were and umpired accordingly. It just seems to me that these days the direction the umpires get and the role of the match Review Committee are in the wrong areas. Also these days the umpires don't really control the game, like they did in the old days.

Sorry, this turned into a bit of rant.
You call that a rant? No problem as I agree with all your comments as they mirror my view. I have only been into footy for 20 years so I can't comment on the older players on pushing in the back and staging but pushing seems it is so common nowadays my guess that most umpires ignore most of the less blatant pushing ones so manage to miss some of the nasty ones as they al like this Hawkins / Balta / Soldo incident when to everyone watching knew it was blatant. In our team you can see the likes of Jack, Dusty, Tom , Dylan, Dave, Liam, Noah, Shai and Jason as the worst offenders routinely pushing in the back often with some force. It is something that should be taken from the game but I don't see the current umpire hierarchy doing anything so far too many players simply get away with it with impunity.
The trouble is no sport is immune to staging or bending the rules. Take football for instance, many a player in the big leagues worldwide will go down as though they have been shot or hit by a bus only to get up and play normally once a free is given. We should thank our lucky stars that it is still rare in our sport

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Young Ivan will recover. It will take a long time and it's very bad. Soldo is one of my favourites.

Twelve months of patience from everybody. Another twelve of stoic persistence for young Ivan.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Young Ivan will recover. It will take a long time and it's very bad. Soldo is one of my favourites.

Twelve months of patience from everybody. Another twelve of stoic persistence for young Ivan.
That's the thing. This is a 2 yr injury. Will take him 2 yrs to get back to his current level.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

kevbokev

Tiger Rookie
Jan 15, 2009
You call that a rant? No problem as I agree with all your comments as they mirror my view. I have only been into footy for 20 years so I can't comment on the older players on pushing in the back and staging but pushing seems it is so common nowadays my guess that most umpires ignore most of the less blatant pushing ones so manage to miss some of the nasty ones as they al like this Hawkins / Balta / Soldo incident when to everyone watching knew it was blatant. In our team you can see the likes of Jack, Dusty, Tom , Dylan, Dave, Liam, Noah, Shai and Jason as the worst offenders routinely pushing in the back often with some force. It is something that should be taken from the game but I don't see the current umpire hierarchy doing anything so far too many players simply get away with it with impunity.
The trouble is no sport is immune to staging or bending the rules. Take football for instance, many a player in the big leagues worldwide will go down as though they have been shot or hit by a bus only to get up and play normally once a free is given. We should thank our lucky stars that it is still rare in our sport
Hey UK ,my rant wasn't directed at you, sorry if you thought that. Yeah, what you say is perfectly true and we certainly don't what 'Soccer Level Staging' in the AFL.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Hey UK ,my rant wasn't directed at you, sorry if you thought that. Yeah, what you say is perfectly true and we certainly don't what 'Soccer Level Staging' in the AFL.
Never even thought it was for a moment, it is just that I like a good rant especially on a subject I am interested in and even more so when it mirrors my views

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I know it was a football incident and plenty of other players shove opponents in the back and into other players but Hawkins is king, the tone was set in the 1st minute of play on Friday night when no free was paid for a blatant one handed shove in the back of Balta who was propelled like superman, (either that or Grimsey has taught Noah well;):D).

The Soldo incident just brings me to tears, and yes I blame Tomahawk.

Gerrard Healey was going through players who shove players and came to Hawkins and said he is a recidivist , (couldn't agree more).

Umpires need to wake up to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Car Crash knee injury.

Same type of Reco that Will Thursfield required, and his was a pretty bad one also described as car crash knee trauma.

He did come back not quite as fast or agile but Willy T did get back and still played some great footy for the Tigers lets not forget.

Ivan will be back but will a lot of work to do in that time

Hopefully he hasnt sustained too much cartillage/ meniscus damage and the surgeon does an A1 job.

• Sad
Reactions: 8 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I know it was a football incident and plenty of other players shove opponents in the back and into other players but Hawkins is king, the tone was set in the 1st minute of play on Friday night when no free was paid for a blatant one handed shove in the back of Balta who was propelled like superman, (either that or Grimsey has taught Noah well;):D).

The Soldo incident just brings me to tears, and yes I blame Tomahawk.

Can't believe I actually agree with something Garry Lyon said On The Couch, he was going through players who shove players and came to Hawkins and said he is a recidivous .

Umpires need to wake up to it.

He probably meant he is a recidivist

recidivous is an abjective

:)