Jack Dyer Medal - 2022 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Dyer Medal - 2022

Lynch winning is a bit of a canary in the coal mine really.

Not sure many premiership teams would have full forwards winning the best and fairest. Badly need to get these GWS boys in.

Buddy won it in 2008. You need an exceptional year to get it done. Worth remembering Lynch won by a vote, and polled maximum votes in the last 4 or 5 games. It was very close.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure many clubs have a forward that has this type of year.

Clearly should've been All-Australian. No issue with it all.

Fair chance Jeremy Cameron or Tom Hawkins wins Geelong.

Not saying there is an issue with him winning, well deserved, just that it reflects what a poor year our midfield had.

When you have two full time midfielders in your top ten and one has 15 games left in his career it's a worry I reckon.

You win flags based on the midfield and defence, if your best player is a forward 50 target, you're in trouble.

Reactions: 2 users
Not saying there is an issue with him winning, well deserved, just that it reflects what a poor year our midfield had.

When you have two full time midfielders in your top ten and one has 15 games left in his career it's a worry I reckon.

You win flags based on the midfield and defence, if your best player is a forward 50 target, you're in trouble.

Not sure thats the case. Its more that we had injuries to key players at key times. If you adjust for games where players were sub or subbed off, its interesting to look at average votes per game.

1 - Prestia - 3.5 / game - 56 votes (19-3 games = 16 games)
2 - Lynch - 3.33 / game - 60 votes (19-1 game = 18 games)
3 - Grimes - 3.00 / game - 39 votes (15-2 games = 13 games)
4 - Vlastuin - 2.75 / game - 44 votes (17-1 game = 16 games)
5 - Cotchin - 2.74 / game - 52 votes (19-0 games = 19 games)
6 - Rioli - 2.57 / game - 59 votes (23-0 games = 23 games)
7 - Pickett - 2.47 / game - 47 votes (19-0 games = 19 games)
8 - Martin - 2.38 / game - 19 votes (9-1 game = 8 games) - though I think he got 3 votes in the game he was injured - so probably should adjust this down
8 - Cumberland - 2.38 / game - 19 votes (9-1 game = 8 games)
10 - Bolton - 2.3 / game - 53 votes (23-0 games = 23 games)
10 - Baker - 2.3 / game - 53 votes (23-0 games = 23 games)

Reactions: 4 users

You're right about the midfield being a worry, hence we're bringing in two guns. But Tom will still be our best player.

Jack won the B&F in 2018 when we finished two games clear on top.

Reactions: 7 users

Bang on, which is why the 2 trades of Taranto and Hopper make sense despite the cost.
These guys make a difference now and for the next 5-7 years, cant fix it fast enough with just the draft.

Nice to see the club trading for our weakness, i look at some other clubs and think there trading just for the sake of it.

Reactions: 3 users
Only Footscary
What a dumb football club or should I say what a smart football club.
Out going Dunkley wins B&F if he was a Richmond player there's no way would I accept him wearing the jack Dyer medal 3 minutes before walking out.
But is this a Luke Beverage Master stroke?
Give him a B&F and command 2 1st rounders in return???

My biggest concern is that with Rance, Astbury and Houli gone, Grimes and Vlastuin need to be top 5 in the JDM for us to have a good year.

For a variety of factors they weren’t close.

We need those two back to their best in 2023.

Reactions: 1 users
My biggest concern is that with Rance, Astbury and Houli gone, Grimes and Vlastuin need to be top 5 in the JDM for us to have a good year.

Big V yes.
Not sure Grimes will be, he looked out of sorts all year, at times looked disinterested.
Not sure we needed to change Captains and he definitely didn't play the role of a captain this year.
It's going to look stupid but I wish the club selects 1 out right captain.
Lynch

Not sure thats the case. Its more that we had injuries to key players at key times. If you adjust for games where players were sub or subbed off, its interesting to look at average votes per game.

1 - Prestia - 3.5 / game - 56 votes (19-3 games = 16 games)
2 - Lynch - 3.33 / game - 60 votes (19-1 game = 18 games)
3 - Grimes - 3.00 / game - 39 votes (15-2 games = 13 games)
4 - Vlastuin - 2.75 / game - 44 votes (17-1 game = 16 games)
5 - Cotchin - 2.74 / game - 52 votes (19-0 games = 19 games)
6 - Rioli - 2.57 / game - 59 votes (23-0 games = 23 games)
7 - Pickett - 2.47 / game - 47 votes (19-0 games = 19 games)
8 - Martin - 2.38 / game - 19 votes (9-1 game = 8 games) - though I think he got 3 votes in the game he was injured - so probably should adjust this down
8 - Cumberland - 2.38 / game - 19 votes (9-1 game = 8 games)
10 - Bolton - 2.3 / game - 53 votes (23-0 games = 23 games)
10 - Baker - 2.3 / game - 53 votes (23-0 games = 23 games)
If the game Martin got votes and injured in was the West Coast game then he deserved them. That first half was vintage Dusty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. To me the Dusty situation is getting a bit like the tail wagging the dog. The club should always come first unless some urgent family matter
Wont be long if it hasnt already starts eating away at some of the playing group, probably more so the younger guys and fringe players.

Reactions: 1 user

Good shout and how many games do we think we got out of each?

Grimes has been durable despite early string issues but age is becoming a factor. Nick has played 29 games in total the last two years. If we get 15 from each I’d almost take that.

Agreed. To me the Dusty situation is getting a bit like the tail wagging the dog. The club should always come first unless some urgent family matter

Look understand his loss no doubt been hard and his injuries the club has stuck fat by him , but no one is bigger then the club fullstop.

Geez Hardwick means business eh?

Throwing haymakers at Geelong, saying we’re the envy of the competition, demanding the entire club “take the stairs” in 2023.

It’s on.