Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Why?

I've watched almost every VFL game he's played, and his AFL games.

I don't see it. He's a pretty looking footballer who offers nil.
Banks is a clone of Pat Naish. And after 3 preseasons he still has the body of a skinny teenager. Will never have an impact being that physically unimpressive

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
burger said he doesn't panic and he's right

but it wasn't always the case

i think learning the art of composure has lifted his game out of sight. a massive credit to the lad, as learning that at AFL level can't be easy

Reactions: 1 user
burger said he doesn't panic and he's right

but it wasn't always the case

i think learning the art of composure has lifted his game out of sight. a massive credit to the lad, as learning that at AFL level can't be easy

As you know, I'm going to disagree.

He had the composure from game one.

In his first year, 2019, he blitzed the VFL as a mid, then came into the AFL side and absolutely blitzed it. He then suffered a serious ankle injury, came back into the side later in the year. And as an 18 yo returning from injury at the end of the year, he had a patch of a few games where his outside game really dropped off. It happens. A lot of supporters formed an impression of him then.

Throughout his junior days he was a captain and best and fairest across school teams and VIC metro, as an inside mid. He's always had the mindset and composure on the inside.

Reactions: 4 users

In his first year, 2019, he blitzed the VFL as a mid, then came into the AFL side and absolutely blitzed it. He then suffered a serious ankle injury, came back into the side later in the year. And as an 18 yo returning from injury at the end of the year, he had a patch of a few games where his outside game really dropped off. It happens. A lot of supporters formed an impression of him then.

Throughout his junior days he was a captain and best and fairest across school teams and VIC metro, as an inside mid. He's always had the mindset and composure on the inside.

I reckon his disposal was smothered / ineffective / rushed for a longish period of time but he has not only learned to compose himself but to deliver to advantage.

Ah well, we can all see where he’s at now and that is firmly in the frame.

I reckon his disposal was smothered / ineffective / rushed for a longish period of time but he has not only learned to compose himself but to deliver to advantage.

Ah well, we can all see where he’s at now and that is firmly in the frame.
No doubt, age and conditioning have lead to some improvement.

I only wish he had more experience up his sleeves.

He missed Vic Metro in u18’s and was devastated. Fought his way through school footy and Oakleigh Chargers and had a very solid year in the end. I have always been a massive supporter of Ross but can see the issue in that they don’t know what he’s best position is.

I'm a massive Ross fan. He has so many doubters but, to me, he stands out as player. We know what we get from him, he is consistent, he is neat. He's not a match winner but he will get his own ball, he will give it off with minimal error. Not only that, he's a leader which we lacked today. Must start next week

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
The madness of the way Ross ( and cumberland ) are treated.
Borh should be walk up starts.
Have the footy smarts we are screaming out for in the foward line
I tend to agree especially with Ross as he has earned his spurs and whilst he will never be an 'A' grade , he will still be a fine blue collar worker that we need. With Cumberland, sure he has talent but has temperament issues and a touch of selfishness about him. Fix them and he will be fine

I'm a massive Ross fan. He has so many doubters but, to me, he stands out as player. We know what we get from him, he is consistent, he is neat. He's not a match winner but he will get his own ball, he will give it off with minimal error. Not only that, he's a leader which we lacked today. Must start next week

Agree on this. He's never going to be a superstar, but he does a lot of things to a good to high standard. His running is good, he's strong in the tackle, has good vision and is a good user of the ball. He doesn't go for the extravagant kick, tends to look shorter which is fine. It was something we couldn't do in the 1st half, take that short 20m kick and use it successfully, thats how you control the ball and we had zero control over the footy in the 1st half. Every team has players like this, no idea why he didn't start today.

Still not sure of his best position.
He’s not a contested ball winner as many on here suggest.
Clarke even confirmed that at a Club 80 function.
He's a smart and neat player but don’t think wing is his best spot either as he’s not quick on the transition.
That’s the issue.
What position can he master?

He's a smart and neat player but don’t think wing is his best spot either as he’s not quick on the transition.
That’s the issue.
And I think this is the perfect explanation of why he's our Supersub, we don't know quite where to put him, so we let him fill the gap

That’s the issue.
Just play him full games to find out his best position. His efforts, link play and overall gut running is sufficient for him to be on the ground.

Just play him full games to find out his best position. His efforts, link play and overall gut running is sufficient for him to be on the ground.
Wing or high half forward (effectively another mid).
He runs well, he finds space, he uses the ball effectively.

That’s the issue.
Transition mid to replace Prestia is his best position.