Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
gone this week. I can't see how he stays

Ross won't be dropped imo. Being managed. No VFL game this week and needs the game time leading into finals. Only played 55% game time and started working into it in the 2nd half. Yet still had 6 contested possessions, 3 intercepts, 3 clearances and 23 pressure acts

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Ross won't be dropped imo. Being managed. No VFL game this week and needs the game time leading into finals. Only played 55% game time and started working into it in the 2nd half. Yet still had 6 contested possessions, 3 intercepts, 3 clearances and 23 pressure acts

But the question remains - if Cotch is back - who goes out?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
But the question remains - if Cotch is back - who goes out?

Possibly a Baker, Caddy, Rioli, Chol (if we choose to play smaller). If Baker an Edwards type goes back, Cotchin slots into midfield. If we elect to play Cotch more outside then he could play the Caddy wing role or again an Edwards type can go outside, been done before. Unlikely to drop Chol for a small but an option. Rioli not playing great footy, roll Dusty and Cotchin more forward, or move Baker or Edwards forward (geez this exercise makes me realise how flexible Edwards is, he's played in most positions).

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Stuffed up twice.
But only a kid. Has shown enough this year to become a quality midfielder.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
We beat a highly decorated midfielder. Only Yeo got off the leash.

To make judgement of all the midfielders, need to understand the defensive role of each. Graham and Ross both had low numbers. But Dusty, Prestia and Titch were weapons.

I don't know the answer but I suspect whether he is retained will come down to an assessment of his defensive effectiveness.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Ross stays. With Cotchin's hammy being a bit flakey, we need the midfield cover if he goes down. The flexibility we're bringing in with players having dual roles (eg Caddy, Edwards, etc) means we can keep a Ross in the 22.

The caveat is of course, if he can't cope with the pressure. I'd be surprised if his disposition isn't compatible with finals.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
He may stay in, it might be as simple as it depends what Sunday means. Eg. if Collingwood somehow get rolled by the Bombers, we are locked in the top 4 and may already be locked in 4th, so Cotch may even get another week to rest up for those pussy cats. Both will be in the squad on Thursday night.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We still need to win to ensure geelong finishes top and we don't travel to the gabba

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006

very low game time - I wonder if he was crook

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

that makes no sense. If he's being managed, why didn't he play VFL last week? If the reason is because Cotchin was out, then surely that justifies dropping him for Cotchin this week?

as for you suggesting Baker might be dropped instead... lol.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
that makes no sense. If he's being managed, why didn't he play VFL last week? If the reason is because Cotchin was out, then surely that justifies dropping him for Cotchin this week?

as for you suggesting Baker might be dropped instead... lol.

Why didn't he play in the VFL last week if he's being managed? Why would he, after half a game in the reserves after a longer-term injury, be playing in the AFL if he wasn't being managed? I have a feeling he would have played VFL if Cotchin had come up. It makes sense to me, only played 55% game time, if he wasn't being managed why would you bring him in then give him minimum game time?

And I'm just putting forward ideas in respect to who might be dropped at the requesst of someone asking who else could be dropped. I don't necessarily think Baker will be, but did you notice I gave 4 options and possible reasons for it? Feel free to argue the case, for me a 'lol'' isn't a valid argument. But let me ask you, if it came down to having Edwards play back and Cotchin in the midfield' or Edwards in the midfield and Baker play back which would you choose? I know what I would choose. The MC will be considering all options. That's the thing about a quality side, good players do get dropped.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Possibly a Baker, Caddy, Rioli, Chol (if we choose to play smaller). If Baker an Edwards type goes back, Cotchin slots into midfield. If we elect to play Cotch more outside then he could play the Caddy wing role or again an Edwards type can go outside, been done before. Unlikely to drop Chol for a small but an option. Rioli not playing great footy, roll Dusty and Cotchin more forward, or move Baker or Edwards forward (geez this exercise makes me realise how flexible Edwards is, he's played in most positions).

No doubt those options and others would be considered by MC - but the more likely option for me would be the straight swap of Cotchin for Ross

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
But let me ask you, if it came down to having Edwards play back and Cotchin in the midfield' or Edwards in the midfield and Baker play back which would you choose? I know what I would choose. The MC will be considering all options. That's the thing about a quality side, good players do get dropped.

seeing that our small forwards aren't really producing the goods right now, I would put Edwards forward, Cotchin in the midfield, Baker down back and Ross dropped.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
No doubt those options and others would be considered by MC - but the more likely option for me would be the straight swap of Cotchin for Ross

Unless injured I don't think it is more likely. I think MC have Ross very much in their calculations for finals and because there is no VFL game they will want to get more game time into him in preparation. So I'm predicting Ross remains in the side next game. We'll know Friday.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
seeing that our small forwards aren't really producing the goods right now, I would put Edwards forward, Cotchin in the midfield, Baker down back and Ross dropped.

Fair enough. Edwards forward doesn't do it for me. Is much more creative up the field. I'd prefer Edwards back, Ross in the midfield rotations and Cotch / Martin stints forward. But that's just me. I rate Ross very highly and we need to give him every chance to play finals.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Fair enough. Edwards forward doesn't do it for me. Is much more creative up the field. I'd prefer Edwards back, Ross in the midfield rotations and Cotch / Martin stints forward. But that's just me. I rate Ross very highly and we need to give him every chance to play finals.

I rate him too, but based on the last 2 weeks, he shouldn't be in the side. You can't gift games to first year players this time of the season.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004

You've moved Edwards forward - who does he replace? You haven't dropped a small forward.