Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
You've moved Edwards forward - who does he replace? You haven't dropped a small forward.

Rioli should be dropped, but he wont. But to answer your question, he gets rotated through there. Graham and Lambert started there a lot i noticed yesterday. My take on that is our small forwards are not doing enough and Dimma wanted more tacking pressure in the F50. And going by our goal kicking we need to finish better as well.

Reactions: 1 user

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
That was the hottest game of the year but gave an insight into how Jack will handle finals footy as to opposed to the Blues game last week.
He's trying to regain much needed match fitness & will be better for the run but it may not be enough to keep him in the team with Cotchin returning for team balance.
50/50 to be there against the Lions..
Brought back into seniors too early after long lay-off?
Stack also rushed back and looked rusty last week.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I rate him too, but based on the last 2 weeks, he shouldn't be in the side. You can't gift games to first year players this time of the season.

Thought he was magnificent against Carlton first week back. 21 disposals, 11 contested and 7 tackles (a couple of rippers), 6 clearances. Yeah a bit rusty for sure but to expected after a long lay-off. I don't think he's being gifted games. 55% game time tells me he's being managed. We'll see Friday.

Reactions: 1 users

Rantnrave

Tiger Legend
May 6, 2008
I think caddy stays over ross..caddy is the sort who can stand up in a big game a boot a few much needed goals

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
We beat a highly decorated midfielder. Only Yeo got off the leash.

To make judgement of all the midfielders, need to understand the defensive role of each. Graham and Ross both had low numbers. But Dusty, Prestia and Titch were weapons.

I don't know the answer but I suspect whether he is retained will come down to an assessment of his defensive effectiveness.

I found it really interesting that Ross seemed to be on the same rotation as Chol. Whenever Chol went into the ruck, Ross, Graham and Lambert followed. When Soldo was rucking, he had Martin, Edwards and Prestia with him.

This says two thing to me. One, Martin loves feeding off Soldo. No coincidence he's played his best with Soldo in the side. Two, we are conceding we're going to lose the ruck when Chol is in. So we give our defensive midfielders (Ross and Graham) the opportunity to nullify their midfielders when we're losing the ruck contest.

It makes sense for a couple of reasons. Beat up their midfielders when we can, give some protection to Chol when he's in the ruck, give Soldo a break without hemorrhaging scores while Chol is there, and we get to use Martin forward for those periods too.
If we win a few on the back of Ross or Graham's clearance work, bonus.

Reactions: 22 users

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I found it really interesting that Ross seemed to be on the same rotation as Chol. Whenever Chol went into the ruck, Ross, Graham and Lambert followed. When Soldo was rucking, he had Martin, Edwards and Prestia with him.

This says two thing to me. One, Martin loves feeding off Soldo. No coincidence he's played his best with Soldo in the side. Two, we are conceding we're going to lose the ruck when Chol is in. So we give our defensive midfielders (Ross and Graham) the opportunity to nullify their midfielders when we're losing the ruck contest.

It makes sense for a couple of reasons. Beat up their midfielders when we can, give some protection to Chol when he's in the ruck, give Soldo a break without hemorrhaging scores while Chol is there, and we get to use Martin forward for those periods too.
Great insight

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003

Very good analysis, i was wondering why Ross's game time was just over 50%, which was much the same as Chol's.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Ross stays. Will bounce back against the Lions.
Just the sort of player the Tigers will require come September.
Can never question his endeavour and commitment to the contest.
I would select him in the 22 before a couple of others.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

I thought this theory quite interesting so I reviewed every centre bounce to see who was in fact setup for the midfield when each ruckman was contesting. It is quite interesting actually. Ross started the midfield centre bounce on 7 occasions, 5 to Chol (all in the 1st and 4th quarters) and 2 to Soldo. Ross was against Reddan, Shuey and Yeo. Chol only competed in 1 centre bounce in the 2nd and 3rd. It seems that the go to midfielders for the majority of the game were Dusty (hardly any forward time), Prestia and Edwards and the 4th midfielder was rotating between mainly Bolton and Ross with one contest each by Lambert and Graham. When the game was there to be won at the end it was purely the main 4 all the way to the end. Here are the centre bounce setups as I saw it.

Centre Bounces
Q1
Soldo, Dusty, Prestia, Edwards
Chol, Dusty, Prestia, Ross (Reddan)
Chol, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton
Soldo, Dusty, Edwards, Bolton
Soldo, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton
Chol, Dusty, Prestia, Bolton
Chol, Edwards, Bolton, Ross (Shuey)
Chol, Edwards, Bolton, Ross (Shuey)

Q2
Soldo, Dusty, Prestia, Ross (Yeo)
Soldo, Dusty, Prestia, Ross (Yeo)
Soldy, Dusty, Prestia, Edwards

Q3
Chol, Dusty, Prestia, Lambert
Soldo, Dusty, Edwards, Graham
Soldo, Prestia, Edwards, Bolton

Q4
Chol, Dusty, Edwards, Ross (Shuey)
Chol, Dusty, Prestia, Ross (Redden)

Reactions: 6 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
interesting that Bolton seems to be the Dusty replacement at centre bounces. Like for like?

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
interesting that Bolton seems to be the Dusty replacement at centre bounces. Like for like?

Hard to make that conclusion. He was in only 1 centre bounce outside the first quarter and in first quarter two were without Dusty, two were without Prestia and two were without both Dusty and Prestia.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Hard to make that conclusion. He was in only 1 centre bounce outside the first quarter and in first quarter two were without Dusty, two were without Prestia and two were without both Dusty and Prestia.

Here's my reasoning Lovey. On your list you have Dusty missing only 5 centre bounces. On each of those occasions Bolton is in the centre square despite only attending 7 centre bounces overall.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Here's my reasoning Lovey. On your list you have Dusty missing only 5 centre bounces. On each of those occasions Bolton is in the centre square despite only attending 7 centre bounces overall.

Well that's true so probably right. Harder to know what was going on exactly in the 2nd and 3rd as there weren't many goals and long periods between some goals.