Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Play him in his position of strengths not trying to make him into something has hasn't the experience to do do right now. Maybe in a couple of years of AFL maturing he can ad more strings to his bow

Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I’m convinced it was the hairdo. I don’t know what he was trying to achieve but it was an absolute Barry.

Now he’s back to the buzz cut he looks like he belongs in a football team instead of a boy band. I’m expecting a return to his form from early last season.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
Just wondering if someone who knows (not guessing) could give some info on why Jack Ross' form has been so poor this year. The games he has played were not good. Is he struggling with fitness? Is he not fitting into hub-life? Is the club trying to get him to learn new skills for his development?
Last year he was a revelation when he came in to the side, now with all our injuries to the midfield he can't get a game...

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Just wondering if someone who knows (not guessing) could give some info on why Jack Ross' form has been so poor this year. The games he has played were not good. Is he struggling with fitness? Is he not fitting into hub-life? Is the club trying to get him to learn new skills for his development?
Last year he was a revelation when he came in to the side, now with all our injuries to the midfield he can't get a game...

Ross has spent a fair chunk of the season being trialed at half back, as bad luck would have it we now need midfielders, so may be rusty as a mid and hasn't taken to half back?.
I thought of all the players that came back pre-season, (before Marsh Cup games), his body shape was the biggest change in a good way so a bit miffed it hasn't translated to form.

Reactions: 3 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Ross has spent a fair chunk of the season being trialed at half back, as bad luck would have it we now need midfielders, so may be rusty as a mid and hasn't taken to half back?.
I thought of all the players that came back pre-season, (before Marsh Cup games), his body shape was the biggest change in a good way so a bit miffed it hasn't translated to form.
IMO he's been played out of position. He's an inside mid not Half back or even wing.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Kid is a pure midfielder. He is in the mould of Sloane. Yet we have tried to turn him into a soft halfback flanker with the body to suit.

Stick him in isolation for 2 weeks, make him eat KFC and stick him in the guts.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Kid is a pure midfielder. He is in the mould of Sloane. Yet we have tried to turn him into a soft halfback flanker with the body to suit.

Stick him in isolation for 2 weeks, make him eat KFC and stick him in the guts.

Certainly will have a ‘gut’ Smoking.!

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Had the same syndesmosis injury as Butler did the year before he lost form & now regained it. Stack too hasn't quite come back the same from it either. This may well be a bit of a lost year for Ross.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
With the injuries to key midfielders... this was a year made for Ross to establish himself. There is still time but it is looking more and more unlikely.

I think he's still likely. Has all the attributes, and if what Too said he's likely being managed. Those ankle injuries have really hit the Tigers hard.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Had the same syndesmosis injury as Butler did the year before he lost form & now regained it. Stack too hasn't quite come back the same from it either. This may well be a bit of a lost year for Ross.
Spot on I reckon. Some players take a while to find their best, physically & mentally after a syndesmosis injury. Really just have to be patient & encourage them to work through it.

Given the quality of our fitness & conditioning staff, Ross would be well catered for there. Just need to play him where he’s best suited & that’s in the middle. Too often we try & make players something they’re not.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

Yep. Next year will be his year.

Raoul Juke

Tiger Rookie
Mar 23, 2019
Spot on I reckon. Some players take a while to find their best, physically & mentally after a syndesmosis injury. Really just have to be patient & encourage them to work through it.

Given the quality of our fitness & conditioning staff, Ross would be well catered for there. Just need to play him where he’s best suited & that’s in the middle. Too often we try & make players something they’re not.

Either he or RCD need to come in and work otherwise we are screwed either way IMO. It doesnt really make much sense playing penny stock investments who are utilities/role players like Chol, Eggs, Aarts, Pickett & Baker while - when key mids like Prestia, Edwards, Cotchin and to a lesser extend Caddy are on the outer. We need someone with their skill set to step up - avoiding the issue by moving pieces around to basically play the same way - despite missing the obvious cream which makes it work, lacks a bit of courage.

Thats the thing that is getting the most frustrating and concerning - there is a lack of courage from Dimma. Our dynasty started in the 2016 off-season once Dimma backed in decisions that took some courage. He recruited Caddy, Prestia, Toby - backed in untried kids to play key roles like Castagna, Butler, Broad, Graham, Townsend etc. He stuck true to that all the way through to the Grand Final and it paid off big time with many of those kids making key plays. Since then we have played it relatively safe - which is fine - "if it aint broke..."

At the moment though, we are broke. Our opponents have worked out a defence which has turned our offence to trash. Our midfield is deprived of most of its A list players. Our ruck stocks with Toby out are in the bottom 10% of the league. 2017 happened because we zigged when everyone else was zagging. Dimma needs to dig deep and find a new style and some new players, fast. Bringing in some new blood on the flanks & pockets is all good and well when you are flying with a full list - but to play the same style while expecting Eggs, Naish, Chol, Aarts, Higgins to replace Cotchin, Edwards, Toby, Houli, Prestia. - its actually surprising we are doing as well as we are