Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Still young. But looks like he has zero confidence. I’m for getting him and RCD in the contest.

Let’s find out if he can play the role he did at TAC level. But I need to see improvement. I’m not seeing it, if anything he is regressing.

Reactions: 1 users
We are having trouble finding the second wingman with Pickett moved elsewhere. Ross and Caddy too slow. Naish might be worth a try but he may not be physical enough for the defensive aspect.

So don't move Pickett elsewhere.

Pickett is very adaptable but I reckon was best on the wing. Maybe a bit of time in the middle with some rotations (Naish could get a go in that scenario) but Pickett has shown he can be a great winger.

DS

Reactions: 3 users
So don't move Pickett elsewhere.

Pickett is very adaptable but I reckon was best on the wing. Maybe a bit of time in the middle with some rotations (Naish could get a go in that scenario) but Pickett has shown he can be a great winger.

DS
I'll let you tell Dimm

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Still young. But looks like he has zero confidence. I’m for getting him and RCD in the contest.

Let’s find out if he can play the role he did at TAC level. But I need to see improvement. I’m not seeing it, if anything he is regressing.
Agree ,its inside mid for Jack or not in the side unfortunately.

And from Ive seen of Riley the past 2 weeks I'd be giving him first preference in that role over the next few weeks.

The MC really havent done him any favours this season putting him all over the place and sub for what 2-3 games straight.

Go back 3 possessions and you will find that Rioli the momentum killer was the cause of Ross not having any options.

Rioli had an easy target 25 metres up the line but held the play up for about 8 seconds which allowed Geelong to flood our 50 mt arc he then kicked it 25 meters sideways.
Yep terrible play by Rioli. But that seems to be how he plays now. He’s a momentum killer.

Reactions: 1 users
Currently you can only apply that to Melbourne Storm
Were nowhere near being able to implement that philosophy

Worked for four years and 3 flags. I reckon it's still got a good chance of working this year, but yeah, having three of our four top mids out puts pressure on that system.

Correct however when soldier cotchin goes down who is the inside bull in our system soldier ross should be replacing him in that role. Play players to their strengths.

I probably agree hazza but it seems they wanted Ross to change his game last year playing him more outside and losing some muscle.

Yes, but what we learned in 2017 was play to your players' strengths. The system is adjusted depending on the skills of the players available. You can't just plug in a slowish centre to play on the wing, doesn't actually fit our system which requires gut running defending wingers. You have to balance the elements.

DS

Partially true I would say. I think Dimma Caracella etc also saw there was a style of game that played to strengths and could also be developed in our players and would be effective against other sides. It was truly innovative in that aspect.

Did it more than once last night also.
Does it almost everytime he wins a mark. I don't really get it. It's not like he has the capability to bullet pass to a team mate or suprise the opposition with a super long kick.

Agree ,its inside mid for Jack or not in the side unfortunately.

And from Ive seen of Riley the past 2 weeks I'd be giving him first preference in that role over the next few weeks.

The MC really havent done him any favours this season putting him all over the place and sub for what 2-3 games straight.
the last line Exactly.
he’s had no continuity in his senior games this year With his medical sub games
Give him some full games and he’ll improve.

a footballers brain should be able to work at the required speed irrespective of the part of the ground they are on.
They talk about the importance of playing 100 games.
And talk about how tight our back 8 is (and other dominant defences)
It helps players instinctively know each other's movements and react in predictable ways.
Ross is a fish out of water, trying to fit in and overthinking it.
He has gone from the dominant u18 which the whole side was formed around, to a sub / role player who is second guessing what he should be doing.
And we love RCD because he gets the ball and takes off and bangs it forward.
We need Ross to go to school on his teammates

Give Ross a burst of games over the next few weeks (given the injury toll to the mids) and play him in the guts, as others have also suggested, and at stoppages. He's not a winger. When confident i reckon he doesn't mind the hustle and bustle of the contest. Could be a better extractor of the ball than he is displaying at the moment. The next few could ,influence the future of his career at RFC, so I hope he is given the opportunity to show more than he has to date. It's in Jack's hands if he's allowed to play in the contested footy zone. He might surprise us.

Shows no creativity. Nothing.

Thought he was better.

Needs to make way for others (Dow, ralphsmith).

Naish is not the answer.

I thought Ross was good in the first half, the balls up at half forward at the start of the 3rd was game changing , imho he’s going ok , nothing more , nothing less , some continuity in his football , which he will get over the next month, will help give up us a real assessment of where he’s at

Reactions: 4 users
Agree first half was good, went missing quite a bit in the 2nd as did.........

Had 2nd most score involvements, 1 behind Bolton.