Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The game turned on 2 mistakes. Ross letting ambition get in the way of ability and Broad dropping an uncontested mark. That took all our momentum away and handed them easy goals. Both players need to be accountable.

No, the game turned on our midfield being smashed and our defence making mistakes all night from the second quarter onwards. If it wasn't those mistakes, it would have been others, and we still would have been thumped.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
agree.

which is why im suggesting he's not an AFL level footballer

rather than a Bust.

A Bust has to be first round in my book

It is an uncharacteristically early call for me and I really hope im spectacularly wrong, but the glimpses I rely on to assess a footballer early on, the kind where you declare $hai and Bakes stars in game 3 at any level, they work both ways
Agree on Shai and Baker showing star qualities in game 3. Interestingly, Ross had a career high 28 disposals in his third game.

Boltons second season only yielded 3 games and they were poor at best! And the start to his 3rd season was unspectacular as well but the coaches kept playing him and soon enough he started showing what he could do.

Graham was similar too. Spectacular start to his career, looked to have regressed in his second and third years but kept getting a game and soon enough found consistency and form.

Ross is not even 21 yet and won’t be until September. Give him a chance to find his feet at AFL level, just like we did with Bolton, Graham.

Reactions: 7 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
We are not going to get superstars with every pick and, given salary cap pressures we cannot have 22 superstars anyway. 3rd round grunt footballer is around about where he sits right now. Sometime in the future we may find an up grade for him
We are not going to get superstars with every pick and, given salary cap pressures we cannot have 22 superstars anyway. 3rd round grunt footballer is around about where he sits right now. Sometime in the future we may find an up grade for him
I think we agree :))

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I agree with Jack. More urgency required, and a touch of ooltra-vahlance wouldn't go astray.

Reactions: 1 user

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
What I don't get ezy is that Ross' first few games at AFL level were very good. He played like a 100 gamer; dare I say it he was more impressive in those games than either Shai or Bakes in the first few games of their careers. But then Fyfe stood on his foot and he was out for 10-12 weeks.

He's never returned to anything like that early form.

Interestingly, he was played in the guts in those early games. Not off a flank, nor on the wing. Was actually started in the Dusty roles at stoppages for those first few games, and before people say I'm comparing, I am not. Was put in the same positional role that Dusty plays at stoppage set ups

Definitely think he is a player, but has to be played inside at the coalface. Won't make it as a winger, but I dont mind the apprenticeship he is being put through to learn different roles, as he will have to have a secondary position if he is to make it longterm.

Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Ross and RCD should be given a month in the team unconditionally. Its time to see if they have what it takes.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
What I don't get ezy is that Ross' first few games at AFL level were very good. He played like a 100 gamer; dare I say it he was more impressive in those games than either Shai or Bakes in the first few games of their careers. But then Fyfe stood on his foot and he was out for 10-12 weeks.

He's never returned to anything like that early form.
Got his ankle stomped on in 2019 missed half a season. Got a covid hiatus for most of 2020 as so many youngsters did. Started 2021 as medical sub and now finally playing games. Kids first two years of development have been fairly *smile* up n barely getting game time in his first few games this year certainly haven't helped. Long way to go yet before I put a line through this kids AFL career. Star player, perhaps not solid honest footballer to fill a midfield role, yeah I reckon he will.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Have said it before. Either puts on another 6-7kgs and plays the Cripps role or he is a bust. Whoever decided he should shed weight and play as a winger should be sacked. There is an opportunity for the club to create 2 midfield bulls in Ross and RCD that can shovel the ball out to runner for another decade. If they persist with this turn them into something there not *smile* then we will see another 100+ suburban player. Need to get the development of these types spot on or we will drop off the cliff quickly and dramatically.

Reactions: 1 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
I have a growing feeling this fella is going to be delisted at the end of the year.
Yeah it’s not heading the right way. Getting dropped when our midfield is absolutely thread bare isn’t a huge endorsement.

I did not see him being dropped this week. Thought he would be given the chance to breakout over the next month.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Maybe we're balancing Ross and Naish....who knows. I just see more in Ross than Naish, but here's his chance to convince me. Do it for Papa Chris.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Out of the emergencies, surely he's sub (again). Pretty sure they're on record as not putting a debutant in as sub, rules out MRJ, CCJ doesn't offer much flexibility, if a small goes down, and Caddy wasn't best 26 before he missed last weeks twos' game. JR sub by process of elimination.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Hmm must have some other ideas thought he would be useful as an inside mid , what would I know. Reckon bakes even George or Balta or Vlas could also be part of the plan

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Out of the emergencies, surely he's sub (again). Pretty sure they're on record as not putting a debutant in as sub, rules out MRJ, CCJ doesn't offer much flexibility, if a small goes down, and Caddy wasn't best 26 before he missed last weeks twos' game. JR sub by process of elimination.
CCJ isn’t a debutant Played his first game in 2019

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
This kid is seemingly regressing and I reckon he could possibly find his way elsewhere next year.

Was flying before his injury and has never been the same since.

He has been played out of position however too which hasn't helped nor does it seem did his drop off in weight and size.

Its simple for mine.

If Jack aint playing in the pivot and is playing off a flank or wing then the side is better off with pace and skill out wide, as Jack is limited in both those areas as an outrunner.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He will get his chance we've got two elite inside mids who are having trouble getting on the park. We have too many similar types in the lineup hence Hugo gets his opportunity.
Ross will be back.