Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

MalenyTiger

Tiger Superstar
Jan 27, 2005
I wouldn't move him on, but we won't win a premiership with him in the best 22 IMO. He's a back up player in the AFL in my view. I'd love to see Banks take that wing by the end of the year. I have high hopes for him.
This. Once Pickett, Dusty and lambo are back he plays vfl again. Then once the new brigade if recruits start knocking on the door for selection he will only play when we have injuries. He's a backup player. That's it.

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Yep. Another non-contested style of game again. 16 possessions. Only 4 of them contested.
He had 19 possessions 6 kicks 13 handballs 5 marks. I am on the fence with him but to me he needs to be on the inside like Prestia. He is not an outside run and hit target type player

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

bringbakflemmo

Tiger Superstar
Apr 15, 2009
Keep playing him until he improves or goes downhill.
H’s getting more consistency in his game this year.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yep. Another non-contested style of game again. 16 possessions. Only 4 of them contested.
My stats show he had 7. He was playing wing. KMac had 3, Langdon had 6 (from 30 disposals). Sidebottom had 3. Ellis had 4. Smith had 6. Hill had 4. Not really fair to critique him on his lack of contested ball playing the position he's being asked to play.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Edwards can break a game with 3 handpasses, Ross cant.
Pity it took him well into the last qtr to get that 3rd handball. By any measurement, right now Edwards gets dropped before Ross. I agree Ross won't be half of what Edwards was but I am very sad for him, his best is well and truly behind him.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My stats show he had 7. He was playing wing. KMac had 3, Langdon had 6 (from 30 disposals). Sidebottom had 3. Ellis had 4. Smith had 6. Hill had 4. Not really fair to critique him on his lack of contested ball playing the position he's being asked to play.
Huh ???

Wrong game. You are referencing a post related to the round 3 game v St Kikda.

1650962393401.jpeg

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Ross is a mediocre footballer who is symptomatic of our (temporary) decline.

I do not begrudge his position in our best 22, more that our best 22 is currently so shithouse.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ross is a mediocre footballer who is symptomatic of our (temporary) decline.

I do not begrudge his position in our best 22, more that our best 22 is currently so shithouse.

Most premiership side have a couple of vfl players whose role and the team make appear like AFL players

The next 2-3 sides have a couple of vfl players who look like vfl players

The next 10 sides have 3-4 vfl player who everyone knows are vfl players

And the bottom 4 have half a dozen.

The fact of the matter is (i distrust people who use that phrase)

theres not enough AFL players to go around.

Ive described my VFL Index at length on the punting thread.

If a side, even tiger dynasty, has more than 3 in the team (vfl index >= 4), i dont back them.

Of course theres exceptions, such as our gws win.

Josh Scache, Jake Aarts, Zac Guthrie, Rhys Matheson, are your prototype VFL blokes by which the index is measured. Seriously flawed Blokes who arent gonna get any better.

You see 4 of those blokes in the one side, and you tip/back their opponent and mostly win

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Most premiership side have a couple of vfl players whose role and the team make appear like AFL players

The next 2-3 sides have a couple of vfl players who look like vfl players

The next 10 sides have 3-4 vfl player who everyone knows are vfl players

And the bottom 4 have half a dozen.

The fact of the matter is (i distrust people who use that phrase)

theres not enough AFL players to go around.

Ross, RCD, Parker played against the Demons and we have played Aarts so I put us in the 10-14 category on the ladder ATM

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Ross, RCD, Parker played against the Demons and we have played Aarts so I put us in the 10-14 category on the ladder ATM

Yep.

A very good side can win with 3,

But not 4

The sooner we get the AFL players out of the VFL ; stack, brown, sonsie, banks and clarke by all accounts,

The quicker we win the flag.

Many of These modern kids, arrive very developed,

And Are better off developing in the AFL, if wins arent imperative.

If Dusty doesnt come back with a halo and turn us around in the next month,

We enter Play-The-Kids mode

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Look I'm not Ross's greatest fan , but let me tell you been alot worse then him this season and we're talking senior players to.

Reactions: 6 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Jack Ross is Jack Graham without a PR team.

First set of numbers is this year, second set is at the same age.

Trouble is scoop that Jacks PR team has his 5th game where he kicked 3 snags on the biggest stage and a prelim against the Cats to works with - Ross highlights are a bit thin.

• Haha