Jacob Townsend .. Just asking ... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend .. Just asking ...

nitrotiger

" lets play like the tigers of old ! "
Sep 9, 2005
Noble Park North Melbourne
I was there at Punt Road last week ( or Swinburne Centre for the purists ) and enjoyed the day and my beloved Tigers give the Hawks a smack on the arse... in the reserves and the seniors ... Just asking ... where is Jacob at ? He had a great cameo in our PREMIERSHIP year but seems to have fallen off but he was great in the reserves last week. I appreciate your thoughts !

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We probably wont see him save for more injuries I reckon but he is loved by most for his exploits and his teamsmanship, a good bloke is Townser I believe.

With Jackmond to come back and Caddy and Lynch, Townser doesnt really have a spot or have the speed to run through the middle.

If Caddy was to miss in the future then he'd come into calculations i reckon.

If his time is wound up at years end on the list it would be a great idea to keep him at the club as a VFL player and leader.

Always has a place in Tigerland Hearts and AFL history

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
nitrotiger said:
I was there at Punt Road last week ( or Swinburne Centre for the purists ) and enjoyed the day and my beloved Tigers give the Hawks a smack on the arse... in the reserves and the seniors ... Just asking ... where is Jacob at ? He had a great cameo in our PREMIERSHIP year but seems to have fallen off but he was great in the reserves last week. I appreciate your thoughts !
I was there yesterday and saw
A couple of brutal tackles laid on the opposition
A couple of good contested marks for his size
Good disposal too
He got in a real fued (with No 37) that went on for a while including a decent punch by Towner that presumably went undetected

But realistically there are limited options for him now

Maybe he could be a Caddy backup if needed
But he simply doesn’t have the speed to be a Castagna/Rioli/Higgins type replacement

Summary - Tiger legend with limited prospects

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
JimJessTorp said:
Life Member. :clap

Player with the right form at the right time.

Yes valued life member and I reckon that’s the only reason now he is still on our list.

Bolton or Higgins has his spot and can’t see him getting it back - butler ahead of him also

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
bringbakflemmo said:
He’s just not quick enough for his size for AFL footy even though he’s got a good footy brain.

My only query on that is the 2017 finals series and the lead up to it.

He can’t run if they don’t pick him.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
I'd have a look at him again.

He was sensational as a negator.

Might be worth considering against teams who have the Stewart, Blicav types that distrupt and also set up play.

He's also got good forward craft.

B

Bill James

I would definitely play him against Coll. A quarter forward, a quarter back, a quarter in the centre and he can sit the last quarter out with the 6 Collingwood players he's finished for the day. :)

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
If we are going to keep playing the bomb it long on Lynch's head style of game, we need another marking target. In for Higgins or Butler next week

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
When we play teams with tall marking forwards like the pies bulldogs north we dont have a tall defender option so we need to stop the easy midfield high quick delivery to them and Townsend would be a perfect tagger to negate opposition midfield dominance

clown

Tiger Superstar
Mar 16, 2004
Yeah looks out of his depth now. Done his job in helping us win a flag so im not going to bag him but forever grateful