Jacob Townsend .. Just asking ... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend .. Just asking ...

Tigermad2005

Tiger Legend
Aug 18, 2004
Ballarat
Should have been given a run on ball.
But the coach gust stuck with the same *smile* all night.
So it’s with a heavy heart I say I don’t with we will see him again.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Love Towner and it’s unfair to single him out after last nights club performance, however I think his time is done.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Mr Brightside said:
Love Towner and it’s unfair to single him out after last nights club performance, however I think his time is done.

Me too. Will always be a Premiership player.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
Really surprised with the way they used him last night.
I dont think Geelong liked how hard we were tackling in the first quarter then it just evaporated from then on. Cant believe Towner wasn't sent to rough up a few of their midfielders like Ablett and Selwood. Dont reckon they like being closely checked.
He had a bit of a crack at Dangermouse in the last but the game was gone...

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Barkdog said:
Really surprised with the way they used him last night.
I dont think Geelong liked how hard we were tackling in the first quarter then it just evaporated from then on. Cant believe Towner wasn't sent to rough up a few of their midfielders like Ablett and Selwood. Dont reckon they like being closely checked.
He had a bit of a crack at Dangermouse in the last but the game was gone...

He was my best alongside Baker last night. He was out to hurt and he did.
Pity he punched the kid he shouldve saved it for taylor.
That hit on Dangerfield was unbelievably good, 90% of others wouldve been sucking on a dummy after being hit like that.

Barkdog

Tiger Rookie
May 5, 2004
Bendigo
He knocked the stuffing out of him, just about went straight to the bench after that. He should have been doing it in the second quarter.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Can't believe that he wasn't used in the midfield until the last quarter, he made an impact when he went there.

acatman1

Tiger Superstar
Sep 18, 2016
se7en said:
i'm surprised we used him at all.

Had a purple patch in 2017. Now he acts like a 80's hard man, trouble is as a forward or team player its goals and possessions that count as well. His total of 3 possessions show where this bloke is at.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
se7en said:
i'm surprised we used him at all.
Really? What is the point of having him run around in the twos?First game back and expect him to win the game for us?Rather than suggesting to drop him I would keep him in there but actually have him as the second target away from Lynch.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
gold1 said:
Really? What is the point of having him run around in the twos?First game back and expect him to win the game for us?Rather than suggesting to drop him I would keep him in there but actually have him as the second target away from Lynch.

He was no good last year, from current form in VFL nothing has changed.
Wasn’t for injuries he wouldn’t have got a look.

agincourt

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 4, 2004
se7en said:
Wow. Was expecting a week
Tribunal must feel sorry for us.

Actually......I think they're kinda hoping we'll pick him again and play our next game one man down!

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Two things are standing out to me right now.

1) We are struggling to get clean clearances.

2) we are getting slaughtered down the line, so in the odd occasion when we do clear it and go down the line it ends up coming back.

The thing a lot of people are over looking is what Towners actual role was?

Is he there to get a load of the ball or is he there to get the ball to ground?

One thing he did better than either Soldo or Lynch was halve marking competitions, and he was doing that outnumbered and against much bigger opponents. For mine he stays in for this reason. If he's flying and spoiling, then he's not likely to be the one on the ground mopping up.

Soldo is getting right under the ball. He's not getting pushed under either, he's going under by choice, either to avoid contact or out of sheer lack of confidence. It don't look good when a guy 204+ cm has smaller opponents marking behind him.
Lynch isn't strong enough through te legs / hips to hold his position at the moment, and he's easily getting blocked out. It's easy to forget that he just scraped into round 1 for fitness. Maybe we don't see the best of him until 2020.

Now Towner.........

For mine he stays in because it's no use having smalls if the ball don't reach the ground. Townsend worked his bum off to get position to spoil. When Caddy is in the midfield, Towner needs to stay in or around forward 50 and hep the ball get to ground. Caddy on the other hand, as a mid i think needs to be our guy down the line, because Soldo is a disaster in this role.

When Caddy is resting forward, Towner has to get up the ground and be the hit up guy and at least half the marking contest.

Either that or we bring Chol in and let him do what a ruckman is supposed to do.

One thing for certain is that Chol seems to excell when given the first ruck responsibility. He killed it 3 weeks back, then had a bit of a stinker when Coleman-Jones dropped back last week. Now this week as the single ruckman up against 4 rucks, most of which have senior experience, he had another dominant game. We aren't losing anything by promoting him over Soldo to see what he's got.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
lamb22 said:
I'd ruck him

That’s an excellent idea!

Townsend can still be valuable in a specific role, and in the ruck he’d influence the game more than Soldo.