Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
to my eye he looked in great shape and was totally ready for the scratch match and carried himself like a top 22 player

he'll have the Cats and Hawks games to continue to push his case

if his head is in a good space , and his body is right and he has ticked off all the boxes the coaches want round 1 looms , I know that wont please Caesar
but I don't know the back story or stories to 2020/2021, just going off the match simulation

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Handy depth. But he wants go around after this year. Your 25-32 players shouldn’t be making 350k.

I think that's right. I've been a fan, but not sure I can see a spot for him unless we have an injury or a change of structure up forward.

Reactions: 1 user

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
to my eye he looked in great shape and was totally ready for the scratch match and carried himself like a top 22 player

he'll have the Cats and Hawks games to continue to push his case

if his head is in a good space , and his body is right and he has ticked off all the boxes the coaches want round 1 looms , I know that wont please Caesar
but I don't know the back story or stories to 2020/2021, just going off the match simulation

I don't think his fitness has really been an issue in the past, it's his lack of speed around the ground, combined with the lack of room in our forward line which has kept him out of the team. He's a good mark and a decent kick so I'm up for playing him in the forward pocket but someone will need to go, perhaps George will be hard pressed to keep his spot? But we'd be sacrificing George's defensive pressure and Caddy will need to be kicking goals regularly to make up for that. I reckon he's capable but he'll be 30 by the end of the season so he'd want to make an impact, otherwise he might find himself discarded/traded at year's end.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Remember when a player like Caddy would be in our top 5 players.

Times have changed.....thankfully

I like Caddy but if he doesn't get game time in the top side this year it would be time to move him on.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It's forward line or bust for Caddy.

Since Lynch came to the club he has been squeezed out of the forward line.

When playing forward he's a selfless player, he does a lot of bullocking and blocking, especially for Jack.

I love the way he goes about his footy, if only he had another yard of pace.

Reactions: 7 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Having been fortunate to be part of two premiership sides, then exposed when played up the ground, and kept on in 2021 as tall forward insurance, Cadds is potentially now competing with Balta for the third tall forward role - a very tough gig.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
It's forward line or bust for Caddy.

Since Lynch came to the club he has been squeezed out of the forward line.

When playing forward he's a selfless player, he does a lot of bullocking and blocking, especially for Jack.

yep.

I am an unashamed Caddy fan, I just think we are a better side when he plays especially in big games. I love his aggression and toughness and he is a good user. That being said I don't think he fits into Dimma's plans because he is looking for speed across the ground.

If he was 5-6 cm taller or a yard faster he would have been a star imo because he does everything well.

Reactions: 3 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Caddy seemed to have a run of niggling injuries for a couple of years and wonder if that contributed to him looking slow as well as a non ideal role for him

there was also some talk about poor attitude and a couple of posters were saying it was linked to issues or an issue outside of footy

I'd say let his footy do the talking over the next 4-6 weeks

it would be great if he does return to top 22 form , but that creates the problem of getting games into Ross RCD Dow Sonzie
that sounds like the problems of a potential premier :cool:

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

If he had pace Caddy could've been an elite level player in the competition, has every other skill and attribute except that critical one for modern footy.

Reactions: 2 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
yep.

I am an unashamed Caddy fan, I just think we are a better side when he plays especially in big games. I love his aggression and toughness and he is a good user. That being said I don't think he fits into Dimma's plans because he is looking for speed across the ground.

If he was 5-6 cm taller or a yard faster he would have been a star imo because he does everything well.

Caddy is aggressive, tough, confident, lippy, has polished skills, is smart, great overhead, selfless, and delivers in the forward line in big moments on a regular basis. There's a lot to work with there.

If they focus on his flaws for the role then it would be a step backwards for Dimma and the club, as they'd be cramming a player into a pre-imagined team role regardless of the player's strengths, when it has to be the other way around. If it's not the other way around, we'll fail to extract maximum value from the talent we have in front of us.

My theory is coaches gain a sense of security by pre-planning and structuring up a game plan in their head and then picking the puzzle pieces that meet the necessary criteria to fill-in that imagined picture, but by the nature of having a limit puzzle piece capacity (forces of equalisation), this usually leads to leftover puzzle pieces and an unfinished picture. It's tough to have more talent than 17 other clubs using the same number of puzzle pieces. But when clubs throw that picture out the window, they're forced to paint on a blank canvas with the tools they have in front of them from the ground up. That's what I think we did in 2017. We used every drop of paint. And as a result, our final picture had shades of colours that were unimagined at the start of the year.

I see Caddy's selection as an interesting test case for both the club's expectations of success in 2022 and our squad-building approach moving forward. I'll be feeling confident if Caddy is kicking goals this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
If he had pace Caddy could've been an elite level player in the competition, has every other skill and attribute except that critical one for modern footy.

Seized key moments in several massive games, so it doesn't really matter what he can't do.

Last edited:

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Seized key moments in several massive games.
And there was no greater moment than the 2017 GF, the Crows had kicked the first 2 goals, Jack had missed a couple, then up steps Caddy to kick our first goal and settle our nerves:love: I could've kissed him.

Reactions: 8 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
And there was no greater moment than the 2017 GF, the Crows had kicked the first 2 goals, Jack had missed a couple, then up steps Caddy to kick our first goal and settle our nerves:love: I could've kissed him.
Tigerman, I thought you lived in WA not Longreach!

• Haha

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Caddy is aggressive, tough, confident, lippy, has polished skills, is smart, great overhead, selfless, and delivers in the forward line in big moments on a regular basis. There's a lot to work with there.

If they focus on his flaws for the role then it would be a step backwards for Dimma and the club, as they'd be cramming a player into a pre-imagined team role regardless of the player's strengths, when it has to be the other way around. If it's not the other way around, we'll fail to extract maximum value from the talent we have in front of us.

My theory is coaches gain a sense of security by pre-planning and structuring up a game plan in their head and then picking the puzzle pieces that meet the necessary criteria to fill-in that imagined picture, but by the nature of having a limit puzzle piece capacity (forces of equalisation), this usually leads to leftover puzzle pieces and an unfinished picture. It's tough to have more talent than 17 other clubs using the same number of puzzle pieces. But when clubs throw that picture out the window, they're forced to paint on a blank canvas with the tools they have in front of them from the ground up. That's what I think we did in 2017. We used every drop of paint. And as a result, our final picture had shades of colours that were unimagined at the start of the year.

I see Caddy's selection as an interesting test case for both the club's expectations of success in 2022 and our squad-building approach moving forward. I'll be feeling confident if Caddy is kicking goals this year.
Yep Caddy is definitely making h our best 22. It’s just how the coaches use him.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
yep we'd all luv an extra 5cm

Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021

coming out of 2016 nobody was looking at us , and we had to look at the likes of Hawks , Cats , GWS , Bulldogs , Crows and devise a way to beat them with the players we had - chaos ball (it wasn't as simple as that )
then in 2018 17 clubs were studying us in detail and looking for ways to nullify or expose our players and due to our success that rolled on into 2019. 2020 and the first half of last year

now having finished outside the top 8 our coaches have some license to change things around
its not back to 2017 because of the depth and experience we have on the list now and there is way more expectation on us now than in 2017 , so id expect change to be small/incremental
I'm sure the coaches will have discussed at length the stand rule , 666 and at least some elements of the Dees , the Bulldogs and the emerging sides Swans and Bombers because they could bring something different