Josh Caddy | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Josh Caddy

Re: Welcome to Tigerland - Josh Caddy

Trumpy said:
Hi blokes I read this site a hell of a lot and I very rarely comment , I am from Geelong and have put up with all the trades over the years, this is the 1st time all my Geelong mates are really not happy with a trade in fact they are livid , so I say welcome Josh and think he is going to be a great asset , think it's about time we scewed them and not the other way around

Yeah speaking to my boss yesterday who lives in Geelong and is cats mad he mentioned the Addy was in meltdown. Cat supporters rubbishing Wells about the caddy trade and saying Scott cannot coach and inherited a good team :hihi I'm loving it!

From a Geelong perspective there really was no logic in the Caddy trade. I think what happened is they burnt their bridges when Caddy found out they were maybe contemplating trading him without consultation first.

tigerlove said:
From a Geelong perspective there really was no logic in the Caddy trade. I think what happened is they burnt their bridges when Caddy found out they were maybe contemplating trading him without consultation first.

that are they traded away all their good picks for players like Henderson and Tuohy.
but considering they havent actually drafted a decent player since Harry Taylor in 07 i can understand why they would be happy to trade away their picks for average players.

On Caddy, based on his career so far we have at the least a player who can kick a goal, win some clearances and tackles. at his best we have a guy who racked up 37 poss, 12 clearances and 7 tackles against the dogs in 2015 or who racked up 21 poss, 7 clearances, 4 tackles and kicked 3 goals against the hawks rd 1 this year.

Brodders17 said:
On Caddy, based on his career so far we have at the least a player who can kick a goal, win some clearances and tackles. at his best we have a guy who racked up 37 poss, 12 clearances and 7 tackles against the dogs in 2015 or who racked up 21 poss, 7 clearances, 4 tackles and kicked 3 goals against the hawks rd 1 this year.

No doubt he can play. His next goal is to get some consistency into his game. To me that's the query on him but worth the risk. They're the sort of risks that can pay off handsomely.

tigerlove said:
No doubt he can play. His next goal is to get some consistency into his game. To me that's the query on him but worth the risk. They're the sort of risks that can pay off handsomely.

Yeah

Twice over 30 touches in his 100 odd games. Has a long way to go.

What does 30 touches mean these days Cotchin has 30 plus often doesn't hurt the oppo
20 and 2 goals much more damaging

From reports he is a bit of a hard nut who can actually play so is an upgrade on Townsend who was traded for the same reasons last year and was a complete failure.

He's miles in front of Townsend! The game that I thought he really stood up was the final against Freo at Kardinia Park. That was an intense and super-contested game and he was really hard at it and watching it I thought that's why the Cats were keen to get him.

Seems a pretty level-headed guy, spoke well in the interview on the rfc site.

Has a bit of swagger about him. Should be a good pick up for us, certainly the type we need, he, Prestia, Cotch, Dusty and Miles make up a fairly good contested ball winning unit, if we can ad Vlaustin and McIntosh in there that's good depth in that area, good age bracket too, now if the likes of Menadue, Ellis's , Mrakov, Rioli, Lennon, Short can step up with there outside play we are heading towards a good overall midfield

Now a three-club player, Caddy is a reliable 20 touch, goal a game 2.5 clearance HFF/change mid. He is not 'big-bodied' at 186/84 but Richmond fans could be forgiven for thinking that given the scrawn of the surrounding list.

He is an outside player.

(His possessions are contested because of Geelong's set up/style. And because he's a dice roller. That's not a bad thing in itself. Richmond fans will love that. He's a good marketing move.)

Caddy wants space.

His year playing more inside, 2015, yielded five clearances a game, which is a good rate. Five tackles is good. But he could still manage only 20 touches a game. Not enough by a long way. And note that the team he played this role for finished tenth.

His very poor finals performances are many. In every other respect he's satisfactory at being what he is - an average-sized HFF/change mid, of the outside persuasion.

In terms of reinvention, and that's the key to drastically improving the performance of long-established players, it's HBF or run-with for Caddy. But we probably won't do that. We just wanna bank the 20 touches, 2.5 clearances and single goal. We need that.

Dyer'ere said:
Now a three-club player, Caddy is a reliable 20 touch, goal a game 2.5 clearance HFF/change mid. He is not 'big-bodied' at 186/84 but Richmond fans could be forgiven for thinking that given the scrawn of the surrounding list.

He is an outside player.

(His possessions are contested because of Geelong's set up/style. And because he's a dice roller. That's not a bad thing in itself. Richmond fans will love that. He's a good marketing move.)

Caddy wants space.

His year playing more inside, 2015, yielded five clearances a game, which is a good rate. Five tackles is good. But he could still manage only 20 touches a game. Not enough by a long way. And note that the team he played this role for finished tenth.

His very poor finals performances are many. In every other respect he's satisfactory at being what he is - an average-sized HFF/change mid, of the outside persuasion.

In terms of reinvention, and that's the key to drastically improving the performance of long-established players, it's HBF or run-with for Caddy. But we probably won't do that. We just wanna bank the 20 touches, 2.5 clearances and single goal. We need that.

Sorry Jack normally i agree with most of what you say, but cant agree with a lot of the above, i think your selling Josh short. Whilst no superstar Champion Data rank him as Elite

Barnzy said:
Yeah

Twice over 30 touches in his 100 odd games. Has a long way to go.

Probably not going to be your regular 30plus possession winner but look at his form from late 2014 through 2015, many games over 25 touches but as I said quite a few back in his shell. He'll go OK given more midfield time which he didn't get this year.

Tigertough1974 said:
Sorry Jack normally i agree with most of what you say, but cant agree with a lot of the above, i think your selling Josh short. Whilst no superstar Champion Data rank him as Elite

Champion Data seem to rank everyone as elite at something.

Tigertough1974 said:

I'm mainly just quoting numbers, Tt.

I'm aware of CD's ratings but I don't use them myself.

I have seen quite a bit of Caddy over the years and I'v never seen 'elite'. But he did have a few bursts of very good in 2015.

I think he's satisfactory and, personally I would very much have preferred we use the pick in the ND. Very much have preferred that.

But -

Dyer'ere said:
We just wanna bank the 20 touches, 2.5 clearances and single goal. We need that.

It's about risk elimination. For RFC Corp plc.

jb03 said:

HFFs. There are many who are much good, so the ones that are ok get ranked as 'elite'.

jb03 said:

It was for his position jb, wasn't for a particular part of his play....

Big Jack, I've seen a lot of him also and he really came on in 2015 when selwood was down and his inside work lifted and he had a great year, with another selwood and danger he didn't get nearly as much time in the middle yet his number actually still improved, im guessing Blake has said out of the needs we have this bloke is a good solid player still improving in right age bracket etc... personally i would rather Caddy than pick 24

He gets his chance with us to show he can play consistent midfield time
I am backing him in think he will do well in the guts

The finals thing is kind of odd. Everyone seems to forget that he came on as the sub in one of the hottest finals in recent history and stared.

If he averages 20+ disposals and a goal a game I'll be very pleased.