Justice? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Justice?

Baloo said:
The only issue I have with keeping him locked up is that tax payers are paying for him.

Ideally he hangs himself or something

Especially in that penthouse jail cell they've given him.

I want him to be released so the victims' families can kill or torture him in any way possible. Pure vengeance.

KnightersRevenge said:
Without wishing to seem harsh. No, I don't think they need to be included. Not in the portion that looks at the effectiveness of incarceration as a deterrent/rehab system. They might have a role to play when looking at the straight punishment. What portion of the sentence should be purely punitive? There is part of us that needs that to see people punished (natural justice if you like) and it needs to be considered as a society. Can we agree on what a punishment should be for a specific crime, not including rehab or any other factors, just punishment. An eye for an eye.

Not overly keen on the gov making laws to keep individuals in jail after their sentence finishes. They can change the law so others who commit similar crimes stay in jail, they can change parole laws to make it harder for people to get out early or if he has committed crimes whilst inside they can make sure the law means he can be charged but I'm not a fan of the gov interfering with the legal system.

Brodders17 said:
Not overly keen on the gov making laws to keep individuals in jail after their sentence finishes. They can change the law so others who commit similar crimes stay in jail, they can change parole laws to make it harder for people to get out early or if he has committed crimes whilst inside they can make sure the law means he can be charged but I'm not a fan of the gov interfering with the legal system.

Minimum sentences partly to allow for things like behaviour in jail, chances of rehabilitation etc to be taken into account. Apparently Knight has been far from a model prisoner. There would be a furore if he was let out and re-offended.

I don't understand how parole laws could be changed without government intervention. I could be wrong but from my understanding from a friend on the parole board they follow strict guidelines, and often their hands are tied, but they don't make the rules. They've got a few things wrong in recent times.

rosy23 said:
Yes from me. He's being judged on his time in jail. There are accounts of him threatening and plotting to kill again, being a trouble maker inside and showing no signs of remorse. I'm far happier and feel much safer knowing he won't be let loose on the streets of Melbourne again.

isn't it the job of the parole board to take that into consideration? it's not as if they would agree to release him anytime soon... and i'm not for one second suggesting he should be released. i just don't think the govt should intervene. would have be better for the DPP to appeal his minimum sentence (although i'm sure the statute of limitations prevents this).

rosy23 said:
Yes from me. He's being judged on his time in jail. There are accounts of him threatening and plotting to kill again, being a trouble maker inside and showing no signs of remorse. I'm far happier and feel much safer knowing he won't be let loose on the streets of Melbourne again.

isn't it the job of the parole board to take that into consideration? it's not as if they would agree to release him anytime soon... and i'm not for one second suggesting he should be released. i just don't think the govt should intervene. would have be better for the DPP to appeal his minimum sentence (although i'm sure the statute of limitations prevents this).

Ian4 said:

I'm sure people would feel the same about Jill Meagher's killer. The system isn't foolproof and some information isn't revealed. Unfortunately very evil people get through the system. I have no issues whatsoever with the govt intervention in Knight's situation. I also think they should remove his internet access and ban him from legal aid for his regular litigation.

People say let him rot in jail. He's served a long time. I say move him into general population in prison, leave a length of rope in his cell. Maybe then he'll do the right thing by everyone.
Should never have received a minimum 27 years. What a joke. Should have been life, NEVER to be released. I mean, murdering 7 in cold blood, wounding 19. What did someone have to do to just get a life sentence with no parole.
I know people say it doesn't mean he will get parole, (you never know with those in authority these days , going by recent examples) , but what about the trauma he is still inflicting on the survivors, the loved ones of those that were massacred, and everyone else affected by his actions that night? He has shown no remorse and all the stories you hear are about how he is a victim because he's persecuted, or not allowed to have a computer, or other frivolous complaints. It's all about him.
Do everyone a favour knight. Or maybe the authorities can make his new cell mate carl Williams' jail 'mate'.

Legends of 1980 said:
People say let him rot in jail. He's served a long time. I say move him into general population in prison, leave a length of rope in his cell. Maybe then he'll do the right thing by everyone.
Should never have received a minimum 27 years. What a joke. Should have been life, NEVER to be released. I mean, murdering 7 in cold blood, wounding 19. What did someone have to do to just get a life sentence with no parole.
I know people say it doesn't mean he will get parole, (you never know with those in authority these days , going by recent examples) , but what about the trauma he is still inflicting on the survivors, the loved ones of those that were massacred, and everyone else affected by his actions that night? He has shown no remorse and all the stories you hear are about how he is a victim because he's persecuted, or not allowed to have a computer, or other frivolous complaints. It's all about him.
Do everyone a favour knight. Or maybe the authorities can make his new cell mate carl Williams' jail 'mate'.

I am opposed to the death penalty on principle but I am okay with life sentences. I think I read that "life without parole" was not available to the sentencing judge at the time, why not? What happened to "for the term of his natural life"? Some of these sentences are set by precedent not legislation so judges can choose to set a new precedent. I think some crimes warrant your total removal from society. I think rape and offences against children are dealt with too lightly at the moment for instance.

Ian4 said:
what are peoples thoughts on the legislation to keep julian knight in jail? personally i believe he should have been put to death or life without parole... but at the end of the day, he received a 27 year minimum. so does the govt have the right to interfere to ensure he stays in jail? surely the answer has to be no...?

I presume the "statute of limitations" ran out a long time ago for Knight but doesn't the DPP have the authority to appeal against a light sentence. I don't think it was available at the time but I wonder if Knight could be a test case? I would prefer they use the law rather than write new ones just to grab a few votes, seems a perversion of the justice system.

Sometimes I wonder how judges play with numbers when sentencing. This lunatic killed 7 people and injured 19 and all the judge thought/spoke about was how high Knight's IQ was and rehabilitation. I suppose because he was just a 19 year old kid at the time, the judge felt sorry for him and somehow calculated 27 instead of LIFE.

full transcript of Knights sentencing by Justice George Hamphel here. http://www.julianknight-hoddlestreet.ca/julian-knight-research-file/julian-knight-sentencing.html

Interesting reading.

KnightersRevenge said:
I am opposed to the death penalty on principle but I am okay with life sentences. I think I read that "life without parole" was not available to the sentencing judge at the time, why not? What happened to "for the term of his natural life"? Some of these sentences are set by precedent not legislation so judges can choose to set a new precedent. I think some crimes warrant your total removal from society. I think rape and offences against children are dealt with too lightly at the moment for instance.
Governments have a role of making laws to protect people so they can safely go about their daily business. Hence the reason laws against sharks, Knight etc are passed. On balance I am ok with the lawmakers viewing Knight over the time of his sentence and then deciding he is or isn't still a risk in the community. That law is still able to be appealed and tested, and if it's a bad law it still has to be passed through parliament. It's so rare these laws are required that it's worth the risk that the law is too tough. I think Knight is a special case and he shouldn't get out, just too evil.

billyb#40 said:
Governments have a role of making laws to protect people so they can safely go about their daily business. Hence the reason laws against sharks, Knight etc are passed. On balance I am ok with the lawmakers viewing Knight over the time of his sentence and then deciding he is or isn't still a risk in the community. That law is still able to be appealed and tested, and if it's a bad law it still has to be passed through parliament. It's so rare these laws are required that it's worth the risk that the law is too tough. I think Knight is a special case and he shouldn't get out, just too evil.

If you read the transcript the judge actually thought that there were some prospects for rehabilitation given his "cooperation" during the trial - hence the non-parole period being set at 27 years. However even then he intimates that rehabilation may not be possible. Knight was clearly one who is intelligent enough to manipulate psychologists and the system, too risky to let him out.

Rolf Harris sentenced to just 5 years and 9 months. I suppose at 84 years of age it sounds reasonable, then again, he looks fit enough to live to 100.

I reckon his victims won't be happy with this.

TigerForce said:
Rolf Harris sentenced to just 5 years and 9 months. I suppose at 84 years of age it sounds reasonable, then again, he looks fit enough to live to 100.

I reckon his victims won't be happy with this.

Not only that TF but he is only going to serve half of it! On the upside, they are looking into adding to the sentence due to how 'lenient' it is. Hopefully they double it and keep him locked up until his time is up.

K3 said:
Not only that TF but he is only going to serve half of it! On the upside, they are looking into adding to the sentence due to how 'lenient' it is. Hopefully they double it and keep him locked up until his time is up.

Strange on how you can only be sentenced according to the laws of when the event happened.

The only thing I've learnt from this thread is that proper justice is rarely given out as it's considered too 'barbaric' for humans to cop what they dish out. What a crock of 'politically correct sh!t'.

Hope the human race destroys itself. At the end of the day, we deserve no better and the rest of the universe won't miss us for a second.

(Drunken rant over)

1eyedtiger said:
Hope the human race destroys itself. At the end of the day, we deserve no better and the rest of the universe won't miss us for a second.

(Drunken rant over)

thats a wonderful drunken rant-line 'ol 1-eye.

I rant heaps less inspiring and coherent stuff than that :clap

TigerForce said:
Strange on how you can only be sentenced according to the laws of when the event happened.

Very, very strange isn't it! Wonder if he stole a loaf of bread, if he would have been shipped off to that colony, what is it called again...? Australia or something?