Justice? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Justice?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Just reading the latest news from the US regarding reports on the CIA torturing terrorists captured after the 9/11 attacks, and yet most people are commenting against what happened.

I don't get it. It might be gruesome and against protocol (is it?), but isn't this what they deserved, especially considering what's happening with ISIS now?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Just reading the latest news from the US regarding reports on the CIA torturing terrorists captured after the 9/11 attacks, and yet most people are commenting against what happened.

I don't get it. It might be gruesome and against protocol (is it?), but isn't this what they deserved, especially considering what's happening with ISIS now?

What about the reports of an intellectically challenged man held to get his relatives to talk or those held on the basis of information given during torture that was later found to be false?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Reeva Steinkamp's Mum releasing a book about Pistorius and the trial and set to make a fortune.

Is that justice, or a shocking money making venture borne out of the murder of her daughter?

For the record, I'm sitting on the fence. Haven't fully nutted it out yet.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
IanG said:
What about the reports of an intellectically challenged man held to get his relatives to talk or those held on the basis of information given during torture that was later found to be false?

Isn't it just their way of interrogating to gather information whether it comes out false or not in the end? There might be some rogues and errors made, but once again, it's their job to do and using unorthodox methods is the only way to gain as much information as possible.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for terrorist groups now?

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
Torture is a notoriously unreliable way of gathering "intelligence", so the means doesn't necessarily justify the end.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Midsy said:
Reeva Steinkamp's Mum releasing a book about Pistorius and the trial and set to make a fortune.

Is that justice, or a shocking money making venture borne out of the murder of her daughter?

Happy for her to make some coin out of it. I'd be dead against Pistorius making money out of it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Baloo said:
Happy for her to make some coin out of it. I'd be dead against Pistorius making money out of it.
As I'm a bit low in finance, I need to think of someone popular to kill just so I can write a book and have a film produced.

BTW, I noticed during yesterday's NFL game that it was 34 years since John Lennon was murdered, so I just wanted to pass a message to Mark David Chapman by saying *smile* you scumbag. Thanks. ;D

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
TigerForce said:
Isn't it just their way of interrogating to gather information whether it comes out false or not in the end? There might be some rogues and errors made, but once again, it's their job to do and using unorthodox methods is the only way to gain as much information as possible.

Are we supposed to feel sorry for terrorist groups now?

A long bow there TF. Much like the unassessed asylum seekers some of these people have never had their status assessed. Who's to say they are indeed terrorists? The CIA said so is good enough? To misquote Christopher Hitchens "Any claim you make without evidence can be discounted without evidence". And yet again history often remembers terrorists as freedom fighters. Is it fair to categorise a native Afgan who takes up arms in defence of his homeland from a foreign army a terrorist? What about a foreigner who joins him in his struggle? What is to stop a third party from declaring the Abbott government's treatment of asylum seekers "torture" and landing troops in Aus to free them from their persecutors? If the U.S. sides with the invaders would that make Aussies terrorists? It is far from cut and dried.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
TigerForce said:
Isn't it just their way of interrogating to gather information whether it comes out false or not in the end?

Of course not some people will say anything to stop the torture.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
IanG said:
Of course not some people will say anything to stop the torture.

Spot on mate, and this has been proven time after time.

The other massive hole in the Yanks argument can be found in their offering up $10,000 for dobbing in anyone on the side of the Taliban, back in the last Afghanistan 'conflict'. I have heard, from someone there, that the Northern Alliance made a point of letting the Yanks "know" that their territorial opposition were "terrorists". These people would be grabbed by the Yanks and often ended up at Guantanamo. The Afgan Warlord would then have an easy run at increasing their territory and power base; the "terrorist" would spend years in 'it was once Cuba' getting tortured for information on what Osama had planned.

Every shade of wrong.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
TigerForce said:

9/11 was conducted by Al Quaeda operatives, 15 Saudi Arabians, 2 from the UEA, one from Egypt and one from Lebanon. Strangely enough 9/11 was used as a justification to invade.... Iraq.

How this justifies torturing Afghanis and Iraqis, you tell me.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Midsy said:

One question for you Midsy, do you have any children?

If not, you cannot even begin to imagine the pain Reeva's parents will have 100% gone through *after she was murdered*

The end

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
K3 said:
One question for you Midsy, do you have any children?

If not, you cannot even begin to imagine the pain Reeva's parents will have 100% gone through *after she was murdered*

The end

I do.

Something still doesn't sit right with her cashing in on the death of her daughter.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Midsy said:
I do.

Something still doesn't sit right with her cashing in on the death of her daughter.

I would think being able to vent in print would be therapeutic for her.

And more importantly, after losing her beautiful daughter in those circumstances, cowering in terror behind a locked door, she can write as many books and make as much money as she damn well pleases - I would never judge her.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Midsy said:
I do.

I recon there is a fair bit more to it, for her, than the making of money. In fact, I would be surprised if she really gave a toss about the cash.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
antman said:
9/11 was conducted by Al Quaeda operatives, 15 Saudi Arabians, 2 from the UEA, one from Egypt and one from Lebanon. Strangely enough 9/11 was used as a justification to invade.... Iraq.
I thought you were against conspiracy theories? ;D

Other than Bin Laden, wasn't chasing Saddam just another hobby for Superman George.....to show family pride?

antman said:
How this justifies torturing Afghanis and Iraqis, you tell me.
I don't think Afghanis and Iraqis become immune from this. Who knows what the full story really is.

What about ISIS torturing (or murdering) journos? How do you justify that? Aren't these CIA torture methods similar to what Arab governments use in their own countries?

Releasing this information has provided more ammunition for ISIS or is this Obama's last stab at the Republicans? ;D

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
TigerForce said:
I thought you were against conspiracy theories? ;D

Other than Bin Laden, wasn't chasing Saddam just another hobby for Superman George.....to show family pride?
I don't think Afghanis and Iraqis become immune from this. Who knows what the full story really is.

I focus on the real conspiracies, not the nutty ones :) 9/11 set the tone, but the WMD evidence was the real conspiracy. Iraq and Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11 although Osama was resident there (or in Pakistan) around that time IIRC.

The US had several objectives in Iraq - the Bush family's unfinished business", Cheney's Haliburton oil and infrastructure interests and a weird Neo-Con agenda to control the Middle East. Of course they just made everything much much worse.

What about ISIS torturing (or murdering) journos? How do you justify that? Aren't these CIA torture methods similar to what Arab governments use in their own countries?

Releasing this information has provided more ammunition for ISIS or is this Obama's last stab at the Republicans? ;D

ISIS are rabid power hungry dogs. As for the "they do it" argument, that's nihilistic. This is the kind of thinking that allows the government to take away our rights because they are just "keeping us safe".

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
antman said:
I focus on the real conspiracies, not the nutty ones :) 9/11 set the tone, but the WMD evidence was the real conspiracy. Iraq and Afghanistan had nothing to do with 9/11 although Osama was resident there (or in Pakistan) around that time IIRC.

The US had several objectives in Iraq - the Bush family's unfinished business", Cheney's Haliburton oil and infrastructure interests and a weird Neo-Con agenda to control the Middle East. Of course they just made everything much much worse.

Speaking of Bush, watch out for little brother Johnny in the next US election? Please no.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
TigerForce said:
Speaking of Bush, watch out for little brother Johnny in the next US election? Please no.

I can picture the slogan now.... "Jonny Bush, keeping the stupid alive!"

Reminds me of the South Park episode where the Cartman and Kyle discover that the only way to beat aids is cash. Lots and lots of cash!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
K3 said:
I can picture the slogan now.... "Jonny Bush, keeping the stupid alive!"

Reminds me of the South Park episode where the Cartman and Kyle discover that the only way to beat aids is cash. Lots and lots of cash!

:hihi

Looks and sounds more dudded than his bro.

Oh well, he's still thinking about it....