Justice? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Justice?

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Trying not to be narrow minded, however is looks like our justice system again failed with 3 lives lost, 2 innocent.

I don't understand with what is coming out how he was out on bail.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
MB78 said:
Trying not to be narrow minded, however is looks like our justice system again failed with 3 lives lost, 2 innocent.

I don't understand with what is coming out how he was out on bail.

It system seems to have a problem in dealing with recidivism. The abusive partner who constanly breaks restraining orders and then assaults her again (or kills her). The cancelled driver who kills someone with his car. I don't know if it is the courts or the police, or funding of the police. Seems like we need an overhaul of policing.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
I think the major problem is the lack of jails. Some people get the message in court and others don't. The only way to stop those who don't get the message from the courts is to jail them. It's very expensive to jail people.

It was easy in the old days, just put them on a ship to a faraway place. These days we can't really do that anymore. Maybe when space travel is commercialized, we can send them to Mars or something.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
It's respect as well. When I was a kid we were scared of cops. If we were caught underage drinking in a park we *smile* ourselves. If any of us were stupid enough to act tough and give them some lip, we only ever tried it once.

These days society just doesn't seem to have the same respect for the law like we did.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
1eyedtiger said:
I think the major problem is the lack of jails. Some people get the message in court and others don't. The only way to stop those who don't get the message from the courts is to jail them. It's very expensive to jail people.

It was easy in the old days, just put them on a ship to a faraway place. These days we can't really do that anymore. Maybe when space travel is commercialized, we can send them to Mars or something.

Jails are like coffe tables.

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Baloo said:
It's respect as well. When I was a kid we were scared of cops. If we were caught underage drinking in a park we sh!t ourselves. If any of us were stupid enough to act tough and give them some lip, we only ever tried it once.

These days society just doesn't seem to have the same respect for the law like we did.

Human rights - they've *smile* up the world.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
1eyedtiger said:

The US still have capital punishment. The CIA torture argument must've gained a few swings for after this event.

KnightersRevenge said:
Jails are like coffe tables.

Julian Knight is living a better life than a low-income earner in a shoebox flat.

mld

hi
Apr 1, 2006
Melbs
Midsy said:
Human rights - they've *smile*ed up the world.

So I expect that you wouldn't mind if someone came along and dispossessed you of all your property tonight?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
mld said:
So I expect that you wouldn't mind if someone came along and dispossessed you of all your property tonight?

I'd exercise my human right to defend myself, and shoot the *smile*. ;D

poppa x

Tiger Legend
May 28, 2004
Mt Waverley
An example of today's society is the school kid who belts a teacher, gets suspended and the parents come storming into the school and verbally attack the Principal and Teacher.
The problems start with today's parents who give their kids an expectation they should have anything they want, and be able to do whatever they want without consequences.
And it's re-inforced by our education system that (1) never keeps a kid down a grade because they failed, (2) fails to reward excellence and a society culture in sport for example where no-one can lose therefore in Junior Sport we don't keep scores. Everyone's a winner. Kids don't learn how to deal with losing anymore.
2c.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
I've got two words for you... Parents who want to be their kid's best friend instead of being their parent.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
K3 said:
I've got two words for you... Parents who want to be their kid's best friend instead of being their parent.

Yep. I'd hope their best friend is in their age (peer) group or thereabouts.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
Here's some good ol' Aussie justice for you:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/mum-who-killed-baby-wins-access-to-surviving-twin/story-fni0fee2-1227177707034

Our 'justice' (and I use the term loosely) system is a complete joke.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
The Indonesian thing has been briefly discussed on the politics thread but I thought this line of discussion would be more appropriate here:

I've recently been thinking that perhaps the sentences handed out to non Australian citizens should be that as described by their home country and then deported (in a box or otherwise)

ie - Indonesian drug traffickers caught in Australia can be given the death sentence, as per Indonesian law.

I also think that the legal system has it the wrong way around, judges should determine innocence or guilt and the jury should decide the penalty.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
1eyedtiger said:
The Indonesian thing has been briefly discussed on the politics thread but I thought this line of discussion would be more appropriate here:

I've recently been thinking that perhaps the sentences handed out to non Australian citizens should be that as described by their home country and then deported (in a box or otherwise)

So Saudi women who commit adultery will be stoned to death in Australia? Or a Hong Kong citizen who commits tax fraud here should be released without charge because what he did is not a crime in Hong Kong.

Yeah I can see your system working really well.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I think there are a lot of problems with the justice system. For one the system is intended for all but is accessible only through gate-keepers (lawyers, solicitors...etc) who make it hard and very expensive to access. They also, along with legislators, seem only to add to to it without ever cleaning up the anachronistic mess. This makes it very hard to navigate and makes it needlessly complicated guaranteeing the cost and necessity of the aforementioned gate-keepers. For another it is very resistent to scientific thinking, preferring "benefit of the doubt" and a very poor definition "evidence", like giving too much latitude to "eye-witnesses".

My 2c.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yeah, there's a lot of literature about our UK style "adversarial system" which is about whoever has the best lawyer that pulls the wool over the judge/jury's eyes wins versus the European "inquisitorial system" where the court's duty is to establish the facts of the case and the judge determines the outcome and must publish the reasoning behind the decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inquisitorial_system

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
1eyedtiger said:

ie - Indonesian drug traffickers caught in Australia can be given the death sentence, as per Indonesian law.

I also think that the legal system has it the wrong way around, judges should determine innocence or guilt and the jury should decide the penalty.

Nah.

1eyedtiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 2, 2007
antman said:
So Saudi women who commit adultery will be stoned to death in Australia? Or a Hong Kong citizen who commits tax fraud here should be released without charge because what he did is not a crime in Hong Kong.

Yeah I can see your system working really well.

Very good point. I would never condone human rights abuses. I was thinking about murderers and drug traffickers when I wrote this so I'm not going to argue it any further. I've been corrected and fair enough.

I guess my thoughts on the jury and sentencing bit are more to do with my opinion that our judges are way too lenient these days and not in touch with the expectations of society.