Kane Cornes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Cornes

Driving home on Monday night and KC interviewed Ken Hinkley. In the intro to the interview, he talked about how Port have lost a couple of close Prelims and things could have been different if it wasn’t for a bit of luck. Then he made a reference to “Dusty magic and a ridiculous deliberate out of bounds decision” in 2020.

This guy has a massive chip on his shoulder for all things Richmond. Its pathetic.
Bloomin great. He can gagf

Driving home on Monday night and KC interviewed Ken Hinkley. In the intro to the interview, he talked about how Port have lost a couple of close Prelims and things could have been different if it wasn’t for a bit of luck. Then he made a reference to “Dusty magic and a ridiculous deliberate out of bounds decision” in 2020.

This guy has a massive chip on his shoulder for all things Richmond. Its pathetic.
I assume he means it was ridiculous decision by his player to deliberately put the ball out of bounds.

Reactions: 8 users

Remember he is another Geelong flog
That probably never lost to us. Similar to the hate Blight carries towards us.
These blokes aren't used to losing to us.
It hurts sooo much.

Ken said that or kane?

However, the issue so many Richmond supporters have with Chris Scott in particular, and also to some extent others at the club, is that through 2017-2020 he wouldn’t acknowledge the we were a great team even though during that period it was them who we beat 3 times on the our way to winning flags.

I'd be interested to hear the basis for that, these views tend to grow out of little evidence on here when it comes to the AFL or Geelong.

I assume he means it was ridiculous decision by his player to deliberately put the ball out of bounds.

What really irritates me about this is that Dan Rioli was pinged for deliberate (bull5hit decision) early in the last quarter. Port took it down and scored a goal (Dixon). And Port fans still carry on about the Lambert free kick.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd be interested to hear the basis for that, these views tend to grow out of little evidence on here when it comes to the AFL or Geelong.
I am not sure how there can be a basis to provide if you mean evidence, because providing evidence for things not said is pretty difficult ! All I can say is that personally what I saw was a lack of class in terms of publicly acknowledging the quality of RFC as an opponent and for what we achieved which I did not see in other coaches and I certainly do not see in our own coach.
I did see him come into the coaches box in 2020 and speak to Dimma and remember saying that it was a good thing to do but that was the exception. That wasn't public of course, it was on the AFL video made of the Coaches on Grand final day released a few months later.
As I said there is no Salty Hinkley or Salty Cameron and I think it is a fair inference that the reason for that is that their reactions and behaviours were different to Chris Scott's.
I really like the way Dimma acknowledges our opponents (in fact there is an argument that sometimes he does it too much) but I have never seen that in Chris Scott (or Brad for that matter). Compare that to Ken Hinkley who is also in my view a great role model for that type of behaviour.

Reactions: 5 users
Glad you asked.

Post 2017 GF.

Pre 2019 prelim.

And this little gem. St Kilda (0 premierships btw) and Collingwood (1 premiership) better than us who had already won two by that stage!

In short, Scott has taken more than a few unnecessary digs at our club and it’s achievements during the last few years. This is why he (rightfully) cops it from many on here.

Yes he is a great coach but he’s also an insufferable *smile* who should have learnt a bit of humility in his journey.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Glad you asked.

Post 2017 GF.

Pre 2019 prelim.

And this little gem. St Kilda (0 premierships btw) and Collingwood (1 premiership) better than us who had already won two by that stage!

In short, Scott has taken more than a few unnecessary digs at our club and it’s achievements during the last few years. This is why he (rightfully) cops it from many on here.

Yes he is a great coach but he’s also an insufferable *smile* who should have learnt a bit of humility in his journey.
(y)(y)(y)

Interesting comment about our 2017 style that I don't recall seeing.

Was Stephen Hocking at Geelong then? That was clearly his view as well
Yes, Hocking had replaced Balme's position at Geelong in 2017. Then quickly jumped to the AFL from 2018.
The rest as they say is history

Reactions: 1 users
Glad you asked.

Post 2017 GF.

Pre 2019 prelim.

He shouldve learnt early on not to *smile* with us.

Glad you asked.

I think you actually just proved my point.

In the first one if you take away the editorial stuff here is what words he actually said:

“I think Adelaide — I don’t think they’re a slow team — but Richmond made them look a bit slow,”

“I think every side will say ‘If we can’t pressure really well, we’re going to have to be unbelievable at everything else’.

“Which is going to be a bit of a problem for the AFL because more and more, as an industry, we’re trying to open the game up.

“But we keep getting reminded that if you can close the opposition down, you’re halfway there — more than halfway there.”

“So often we go back and say ‘that West Coast-Sydney grand final (was great)’,” Scott said.

“The two of them, (but) they were terrible games of footy, really. Really dour affairs but great grand finals — really gripping and I think we all acknowledge that.

“But if you said every game’s going to be like that, then I think everyone would acknowledge we’ve got a bit of a problem.”

How is any of that even remotely critical of Richmondl? He's talking about the trend of high pressure in the game and where that leads to in general terms. You would have to be the most sensitive person in the world to take that as criticism (unless you were Sydney or West Coast maybe.)

On to the second one and shock horror, a coach talks up his team before they play someone. Imagine if Leigh Matthews had of said 'if we bleed they can kill us'. Someone here would have called the cops and reported a death threat. :ROFLMAO:

And there is the small matter that he is exactly correct and we were a better team before the preliminary final in 2018 than we were in 2019.

The third one is the only one anyone could possibly take umbrage with I think but it's pretty sensitive again.

“We’re in an era where, Richmond are a really good team, and I think West Coast are going to be really strong, Collingwood (as well).

“But with the greatest respect to them (Richmond), they’re not Hawthorn in the multiple premiership years in a row, I don’t think.

“I don’t think they’re Geelong or St Kilda or Collingwood through that, sort of, 2009/10 period either.

“I think it’s a lot more even than that.

“Everyone has their deficiencies.”

He's right, we aren't as good as Hawthorn (yet) and he's probably right in terms of our records in the seasons in comparison with the other clubs but it probably didn't need to be said.

Again though if someone saying you are a really good team but maybe not as good as some other really good teams offends you then you are pretty sensitive I reckon. He's a coach trying to instil belief in his players, I bet you could find plenty of instances of all coaches doing the same.

• Dislike

In the first one if you take away the editorial stuff here is what words he actually said:

“I think Adelaide — I don’t think they’re a slow team — but Richmond made them look a bit slow,”

“I think every side will say ‘If we can’t pressure really well, we’re going to have to be unbelievable at everything else’.

“Which is going to be a bit of a problem for the AFL because more and more, as an industry, we’re trying to open the game up.

“But we keep getting reminded that if you can close the opposition down, you’re halfway there — more than halfway there.”

“So often we go back and say ‘that West Coast-Sydney grand final (was great)’,” Scott said.

“The two of them, (but) they were terrible games of footy, really. Really dour affairs but great grand finals — really gripping and I think we all acknowledge that.

“But if you said every game’s going to be like that, then I think everyone would acknowledge we’ve got a bit of a problem.”

How is any of that even remotely critical of Richmondl? He's talking about the trend of high pressure in the game and where that leads to in general terms. You would have to be the most sensitive person in the world to take that as criticism (unless you were Sydney or West Coast maybe.)

On to the second one and shock horror, a coach talks up his team before they play someone. Imagine if Leigh Matthews had of said 'if we bleed they can kill us'. Someone here would have called the cops and reported a death threat. :ROFLMAO:

And there is the small matter that he is exactly correct and we were a better team before the preliminary final in 2018 than we were in 2019.

The third one is the only one anyone could possibly take umbrage with I think but it's pretty sensitive again.

“We’re in an era where, Richmond are a really good team, and I think West Coast are going to be really strong, Collingwood (as well).

“But with the greatest respect to them (Richmond), they’re not Hawthorn in the multiple premiership years in a row, I don’t think.

“I don’t think they’re Geelong or St Kilda or Collingwood through that, sort of, 2009/10 period either.

He's right, we aren't as good as Hawthorn (yet) and he's probably right in terms of our records in the seasons in comparison with the other clubs but it probably didn't need to be said.

Again though if someone saying you are a really good team but maybe not as good as some other really good teams offends you then you are pretty sensitive I reckon. He's a coach trying to instil belief in his players, I bet you could find plenty of instances of all coaches doing the same.
BOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Haha
BOOOOOOO!!!!!

smithers GIF

Reactions: 1 user
Kanye doubling down on the 'dodgy' prelim final free kick.

Maybe Kanye should concentrate on Port and Hinkley stuffing up the biggest advantage a club has had during recent memory by hosting and playing games at home while other clubs had to bunker up in hubs during covid.

Reactions: 3 users
Must put a lot of people in a hard situation when faced with the choice of having to agree with me in terms of how the out of bounds rule works vs having to agree with Kane Cornes.

Kind of like deciding whether to die by being buried alive or burned alive.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users

We will just get into cherry picking words. My answer is a simple one. Where did he say that Richmond was a great team during that time and they were just too good when it counted? That is the truth, we were. Even his 2017 praise is veiled, it acknowledges we made Adelaide look slow but muses that our style was bad for the game.

The old saying. Once can be a fluke, twice starts to get worrying and three times is a trend.

I think you need to look at the evidence. There are an enormous number of Richmond supporters who feel that way about Scott but nowhere near the same number who have the same feeling about other coaches we were battling with through the same time. There is a reason for that and that lies with Chris Scott's behaviour.

I always like to see the positives in people and I can admire Chris Scott's record but I can't admire his public demeanour when it comes to talking about his opponents. He is dismissive at best.

Reactions: 6 users

Ironic that you freely admit your hatred for one of our champions in KB, but you go out of your way to prove to rusted on Tiger supporters on this site that there is no reason to dislike Chris Scott.

Get yourself a copy of AFL 360 the Monday after our 2017 GF victory where Scott is on with Alan Richardson and if you walk away without complete distain and disrespect for him, then I think your allegiances lie elsewhere.

Reactions: 7 users