Kane Cornes | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Cornes

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
If we finish top 4 this year or next and get a good look at a flag shot then it's the right move, if we don't then Cornes is right and it was a bad strategy.
It’s not a bad strategy, regardless of where we finish. Cornes and others are significantly overrating the value of the picks we traded to get Hopper and Taranto with the exception of the future first rounder which is an unknown at this stage.

We are near guaranteed 7 years of quality service from two very good players in the deal. The odds of getting that from any of the 4 draft picks in the range of 12-31 is a lot less.

I hope we continue to look for trades like this in the future because long term, we will do much better than using the equivalent picks in the draft.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
There's no way we brought them in for mid/long term success primarily. We brought them in to try and contend again now and in the next couple of years and we will worry about the long term as we go.

Is it a good strategy? I don't know, Cornes doesn't know, no-one knows. All we can do is wait and see, but I think they are all fair points about what the potential risk of what we are doing is.

If we finish top 4 this year or next and get a good look at a flag shot then it's the right move, if we don't then Cornes is right and it was a bad strategy.
I think he is being way more dramatic than what you say. "Backfire dramatically and set the club back years".....how?? We all know this is Jack's and Chimp's final year.....Grimo, Duz and others close. We could finish out of the 8 by ~ 2025/26 because of younger players stepping up when most have retired, but it's what we had in 2017 and won a flag. It's all depending on game plan and commitment. 1 step back to go 2 steps forward.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Where was this garbage talk of his when other long term deals were done from other clubs?

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Did Dimma play/coach when this prick played at Port? Maybe something happened then.
Yep. They were Premiership team mates in 2004. He’s after clicks and he knows slagging off big Melbourne clubs like ours will get them for him. I mostly ignore him.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep. They were Premiership team mates in 2004. He’s after clicks and he knows slagging off big Melbourne clubs like ours will get them for him. I mostly ignore him.
Agree. Given too much air time on SEN, Ch 9 Footy show and now The Age.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
In a nutshell that we've backed the play of bringing in two players at a significant cost and is the rest of our list in good enough shape to make that wise.

Is 7 years a good investment for those two boys given the potential for our list to drop away in the next few years.

That if our thinking is wrong and we don't get success, it will have set us back on the path to another tilt and will require a longer period to get there.

That apart from Sonsie and Gibcus the talent of our players under 22 is largely unknown at this point and we aren't in a position to access much more talent from last year or this year. If those players don't come on as we would like then there's going to be a big void.

Hardwick isn't necessarily motivated by the long term best interests of the list, because he probably won't stay for the regeneration.

All pretty fair and reasonable points I reckon.
IMO that's all fair enough, tho i'd say all Clubs that are contenders & bring in players face the same Q's re: youth coming through. I do agree that the kids will determine how we go long term regardless of if we got the GWS guys in or not.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
He was talking to Healy and they were asking each what's Dekonging worth.
They both agree at 1mil a season and then for no apparent reason he said that if Tarranto is worth pick 12 & 19 DeDonkykong should be worth more.
1st thing tottaly different players. Tarranto has already proven he is worth the 2 picks.
Why didn't he compare him to the spoilt brat at Port or What Freo gave up for Jackson.
I just notice he is the 1st to use us as a example when he trying to prove a point..
He is just a dikhead plain and simple and I guarantee you that Hutchison loves it.
Numerous times late 2021 and especially early 2022 stated Cotch should have retired.
Also numerous times sack the boot into Nank as a poor Captain, and criticised the club for the choice.
I don’t think it was a coincidence that Cotch and Nank torched Port Adelaide over there last year, and got the 3 and 2 Brownlow votes.
I don’t believe in coincidences like that. Eff K Cornes an absolute hypocritical media Troll

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Cornes is a moron.

In the middle ages he'd be a gong-farmer.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Tig3

🐯
Nov 21, 2022
Barrett is just as bad, if not worse than Cornes when it comes to us. Don’t remember the last time the little prick had something positive to say about us! Guaranteed to go into his pathetic “sliding doors” article and see him rip on us weekly.

BAA0183B-6AA2-4537-BF08-330406D8168F.jpeg

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
It’s not a bad strategy, regardless of where we finish. Cornes and others are significantly overrating the value of the picks we traded to get Hopper and Taranto with the exception of the future first rounder which is an unknown at this stage.

We are near guaranteed 7 years of quality service from two very good players in the deal. The odds of getting that from any of the 4 draft picks in the range of 12-31 is a lot less.

I hope we continue to look for trades like this in the future because long term, we will do much better than using the equivalent picks in the draft.

Agree. Even if we fall away and have to rebuild we still need some strong bodies in the midfield to (re)build around. If we didn't get these two and Cotchin/Martin/Prestia go.......our rebuilding team would get pulverized week in week out. We had to take the chance either way

Reactions: 3 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
It’s not a bad strategy, regardless of where we finish.

It's not just whether or not we bring in those two guys or we don't though, it's the entire picture.

For example, if we were going down the path of saying we need to rejuvenate we have either retired or traded Cotchin and Riewoldt, and possibly Dustin as well.

We are trying to improve our position in the draft as much as possible so are prepared to trade anyone over 25 if the offer is right.

The aim is to take another 5 or 6 picks last year to go with the ones the year before, then again next year, which gives us 15-18 players to try and get a core 8-10 out of.

In three years time we are looking to make the 8 again and challenge in the years after that.

I'm still a bit unsure but my feeling is leaning towards that we should have gone down that sort of path. Maybe there was a balance there where we brought Taranto in only to build around.

I think he is being way more dramatic than what you say. "Backfire dramatically and set the club back years".....how?? We all know this is Jack's and Chimp's final year.....Grimo, Duz and others close. We could finish out of the 8 by ~ 2025/26 because of younger players stepping up when most have retired, but it's what we had in 2017 and won a flag. It's all depending on game plan and commitment. 1 step back to go 2 steps forward.

Yep and that's why these things are all just speculative until we see the results.

I'm just saying his position is definitely one of the plausible outcomes. It could be a great outcome but it could also be a terrible one.

If we finish 10th this year we are in list management hell.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Looks like this d*ckhead's joined The Age somehow. They must be desperate for sales....

Channel 9 owns The Age.

Nothing that prick says about Richmond is Solid.
He hates Hardwick with passion

Considering he was premiership teammate of Dimma, I doubt that.

But I do wonder if Kano sees the irony of his own comments. His own team, gave up 2 years’ worth of draft picks for a former number 1 draft pick with an attitude problem.

Richmond is entitled to have one last crack at it after what we have achieved (plus the kids we drafted the year prior). His team is miles away from premiership the window. Their list strategy is awful.

Jake

Tiger Superstar
Apr 2, 2005
Barrett is just as bad, if not worse than Cornes when it comes to us. Don’t remember the last time the little prick had something positive to say about us! Guaranteed to go into his pathetic “sliding doors” article and see him rip on us weekly.

View attachment 18370

That bloke in the centre of that photo might have something to say about that *smile*.

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
What is with trying to bring it back to Port all the time?

He hasn't had a role there for nearly 10 years!

Are we going to sit here in 5 years time if our list is in the set and go 'oh well, at least Port did worse'.

It's a complete irrelevance, isn't that what's referred to as whataboutism?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep and that's why these things are all just speculative until we see the results.

I'm just saying his position is definitely one of the plausible outcomes. It could be a great outcome but it could also be a terrible one.

If we finish 10th this year we are in list management hell.
That's my point against him, if this happens we're not in hell as we've had our glory and it's time to step back again and rebuild. Being over-dramatic is a bad habit of his. I can accept Barrett's opinion and comments better as shown further above this thread.