Kicking the Football | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kicking the Football

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
We are not good at it. The game is called football and the stand rule now calls for teams to be elite at kicking the ball. It cost us a win in the Carlton game. The Crows are *smile* so it didn't hurt us. It wasn't the only reason we lost tonight but it was a big part of it. Witness Graham and Rioli missing wide open Lynch and Riewioldt in first quarter.

We have a few issues but IMHO this is the biggest. If we can't resolve, either through improvement by current staples in the team or introduction of young players who have the skill set, then I can't see how we can be a major factor in this season.

It is hurting us badly.

Reactions: 9 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Agree with that - hitting targets by foot was biggest issue tonight. It’s why Maurice Jnr, Ralphsmith and Ross aren’t (and maybe won’t ever be) elite players.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The first half in the greasy conditions we over used the ball. It was very un-Richmond like. So many handball errors & we didn't play a territory game at all.

I agree though we really don't have many who use the ball wel enough by foot & it can make aus look slower because we lose control of the ball easily.

Cumberland's class by foot stood out like a beacon. Clarke has good delivery.
Sonsie needs to come in ASAP. Rarely wastes a kick.
The team needs a skill injection.

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Agree.
The nub of our list problem.
Blair & co haven’t fully adjusted to the Stand Rule implications.
Exhibit A and B: we just handed 7 year deals to blokes who are not elite kicks.
We dug ourselves a massive midfield hole and are backing these blue collar workhorses to dig ourselves out, but it’s in defiance of the game trend.
Would be ok if we had quality elite kicks all around them, but we don’t - we have more of the same.
Its why Cumberland’s delivery stood out like a sore thumb: penetrating and accurate.

Reactions: 3 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Agree.

It's a very fair point.

I actually hadn't seen enough of Taranto at the Giant$ but I'm pretty shocked by his poor technique by foot for such a high draft pick.

His 2016 draft profile listed his weaknesses as pace & kicking efficiency..

Aah that seems to be key areas where the game is headed.

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
One of my biggest concerns with our team is how we continue to have trouble hitting up targets by foot.
We put max effort in but make the game so damn hard given we have so many players who struggle to just honour a simple lead, either by banging it on the boot, dropping it short or kicking over a team mates heads.
The game is evolving fast & until we can execute this basic skill we’re going to struggle. It’s ugly to watch.

Reactions: 5 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Why are our kicking skills so poor compared to other teams?
Reckon other teams have similar porblems.Think it stems from more emphasis on running and fitness and the footy skills kicking/marking have suffered.Imagine if we had a couple of regular pack marks like knights or Van der har from the 70s,and the likes of Buckley who continually found targets from 50 metres away.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Recruiting.
We don't yet place a high premium on kicking skills.
Other teams FD's do.
I'd say the guys have started to act on it.

Clarke Sonz, Campbell, Smith all very good kikcs so they are getting them now.

I think TT and Jacob are tagged as the inside out distributors going forward to these aforementioned types who can all run and kick.

Be nice if our forwards could kick straight.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
Agree.
We dug ourselves a massive midfield hole and are backing these blue collar workhorses to dig ourselves out, but it’s in defiance of the game trend.
Would be ok if we had quality elite kicks all around them, but we don’t - we have more of the same.
Its why Cumberland’s delivery stood out like a sore thumb: penetrating and accurate.
Can you explain why the Stand rule means we cannot attack and score the same way we used to? Or why the Stand rule means we have to be better kicks now than when the man on the mark could jump all over the place?

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
We are not good at it. The game is called football and the stand rule now calls for teams to be elite at kicking the ball. It cost us a win in the Carlton game. The Crows are *smile* so it didn't hurt us. It wasn't the only reason we lost tonight but it was a big part of it. Witness Graham and Rioli missing wide open Lynch and Riewioldt in first quarter.

We have a few issues but IMHO this is the biggest. If we can't resolve, either through improvement by current staples in the team or introduction of young players who have the skill set, then I can't see how we can be a major factor in this season.

It is hurting us badly.
See above. Ta in advance I am sure there is a very good reason

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Can you explain why the Stand rule means we cannot attack and score the same way we used to? Or why the Stand rule means we have to be better kicks now than when the man on the mark could jump all over the place?
It seems every other team have learnt to take advantage of the Stand rule, gaining an extra 5-10 metres. The dogs seemed to have made it into a fine art.

We rarely seem to do this. Not sure if it our players don't know how to do it, or the other teams no how to defend it better.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
It seems every other team have learnt to take advantage of the Stand rule, gaining an extra 5-10 metres. The dogs seemed to have made it into a fine art.

We rarely seem to do this. Not sure if it our players don't know how to do it, or the other teams no how to defend it better.
Agree

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
On one of those football chat shows one of the comentators commented that the Sherrin had a new surface this year so I would prersume that it may be a bit slippery compared the the old Sherrin.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007

I think this is why Stand Rule has impacted us so much, in my opinion - it is not so much about our kicking, but it has meant good kicking teams have debunked our previous game plan with the help of stand rule.
We can’t play that extra behind the ball in defence like we used to because it gives them a spare man to kick through which we can’t defend as well. We used to rely on immense pressure and the manning the mark well to cover for him up the ground.
It is too easy now for the opposition to use incisive kickers through their spare man with the stand rule.

We used to be happy to give up clearance and be outnumbered around the stoppage, knowing we could turn it over with extra number behind then rebound.
Now they kick through us easier. We also have to start 666 which makes it more of a drama to play 7th or 8th defender

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
On one of those football chat shows one of the comentators commented that the Sherrin had a new surface this year so I would prersume that it may be a bit slippery compared the the old Sherrin.
Is that only the Sherrins we kick or all of the Sherrins they make??

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I think this is why Stand Rule has impacted us so much, in my opinion - it is not so much about our kicking, but it has meant good kicking teams have debunked our previous game plan with the help of stand rule.
We can’t play that extra behind the ball in defence like we used to because it gives them a spare man to kick through which we can’t defend as well. We used to rely on immense pressure and the manning the mark well to cover for him up the ground.
It is too easy now for the opposition to use incisive kickers through their spare man with the stand rule.

We used to be happy to give up clearance and be outnumbered around the stoppage, knowing we could turn it over with extra number behind then rebound.
Now they kick through us easier. We also have to start 666 which makes it more of a drama to play 7th or 8th defender
I've no doubt this is true but I'm starting to wonder is it time for new ideas..

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The irony of all the talk of losing clearances in our premiership years is that we massively improved that and won clearances in, I think it was the 2020 finals series.

We didn't always rely on rebounds, we could win clearances.

More importantly opposition clearances were always hurried and under massive pressure, there is a huge difference between clean clearances and rushed pressured clearances. We give away too many of the former.

DS

Reactions: 4 users