Kicking the Football | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kicking the Football

More importantly opposition clearances were always hurried and under massive pressure, there is a huge difference between clean clearances and rushed pressured clearances. We give away too many of the former.

DS
It ebbed and flowed. Remember when we gave Freeo the clearance in 2017 with only 20 seconds left? It isn't good this year for sure.

Our game has been built around forward pressure since 2017. When MRJ started to provide it last year we looked good. He needs some friends.

It ebbed and flowed. Remember when we gave Freeo the clearance in 2017 with only 20 seconds left? It isn't good this year for sure.

Our game has been built around forward pressure since 2017. When MRJ started to provide it last year we looked good. He needs some friends.
Haven’t really played he and Cumbo together for any time this year

Apparently, according to the dude from Champion Data tonight, we have the second highest turnover rate in the AFL coming out of our D50. Only one player in our back half is above AFL average for hitting targets out of the D50. Liam Baker.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Apparently, according to the dude from Champion Data tonight, we have the second highest turnover rate in the AFL coming out of our D50. Only one player in our back half is above AFL average for hitting targets out of the D50. Liam Baker.
Surprises me Rioli not above average but probably not the rest. Normally Vlastuin would be ok.
An argument for a swing around down there maybe - Judson Clarke give him the ball, poor man’s Daicos?
Push Vlastuin forward for a few games to stimulate him. Can be dangerous forward
Short back to defence. Dunno

Surprises me Rioli not above average but probably not the rest. Normally Vlastuin would be ok.
An argument for a swing around down there maybe - Judson Clarke give him the ball, poor man’s Daicos?
Push Vlastuin forward for a few games to stimulate him. Can be dangerous forward
Short back to defence. Dunno
Probably no re Vlastuin, just getting Broad back can’t really afford the instability

Also, Balta and Grimes are amongst the best in the league for winning one on one contests but….are both top 5 in the league for losing one on one contests as well.

What this means is that they aren’t bringing the ball into a neutral state enough ie spoiling the ball, bringing it to ground, getting the ball over the boundary line etc etc.

Been saying since last year that our backline has lost the fundamentals down back, particularly 2nd and 3rd man up spoiling. We used to be the absolute best at that, especially with Dave down there. Not now. Broad being out probably impacting as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Also, Balta and Grimes are amongst the best in the league for winning one on one contests but….are both top 5 in the league for losing one on one contests as well.

What this means is that they aren’t bringing the ball into a neutral state enough ie spoiling the ball, bringing it to ground, getting the ball over the boundary line etc etc.

Been saying since last year that our backline has lost the fundamentals down back, particularly 2nd and 3rd man up spoiling. We used to be the absolute best at that, especially with Dave down there. Not now. Broad being out probably impacting as well.
I imagine that is a function of the ball moving quicker into our backline with the advent of the stand rule?

We used to play a very high forward half pressure game. Get the ball forward at all costs, force the long kick out of the opposition D50 to a contest, outnumber at the fall and force it back in. You simply don't get the long kick to the contest as much IMO. Teams slice and dice their way down the field, that short 45 kick is now always available with a prone man on the mark.

We don't defend as high and perhpas our players were never as often exposed one on one defensively?

Reactions: 2 users
I imagine that is a function of the ball moving quicker into our backline with the advent of the stand rule?

We used to play a very high forward half pressure game. Get the ball forward at all costs, force the long kick out of the opposition D50 to a contest, outnumber at the fall and force it back in. You simply don't get the long kick to the contest as much IMO. Teams slice and dice their way down the field, that short 45 kick is now always available with a prone man on the mark.

We don't defend as high and perhpas our players were never as often exposed one on one defensively?
Maybe, but it’s still not great that BOTH are top 5 in the league ie every other team in the league has to contend with the stand rule and what it brings, yet we’ve got not one, but two players who are top 5 for getting beaten one on one. That’s not good no matter what the cause.

As a lot of people have raised, I’m not sure Hooch and co have ever really adjusted all that well to the stand rule.

Last edited:
Why are our kicking skills so poor compared to other teams?
I disagree about us having poor kicking skills. I think they are phenomenal. The amount of times we managed to hit an opposition player on the chest with pinpoint accuracy was outstanding. They just need to translate that to targeting our players with the same precision

16th for kicking efficiency.
16th for overall disposal efficiency.
14th for I50 efficiency.
10th for goal accuracy.
2nd for turnovers.

• Wow
According to the AFL website this isnt right. Grimes has lost 3 one on one contests this season, from 11 one-on-ones. - about 14 players have lost 3 contests from less than 11, while about 12 key defenders have lost more than 3 contests at a worse losing % than Grimes. Balta is up there though. (as is Baker).

According to the AFL website this isnt right. Grimes has lost 3 one on one contests this season, from 11 one-on-ones. - about 14 players have lost 3 contests from less than 11, while about 12 key defenders have lost more than 3 contests at a worse losing % than Grimes. Balta is up there though. (as is Baker).
Contact Daniel Hoyne at Champion Data then pal. He went through it last night. They supply the AFL with their stats.

We took Dow as a midfielder and he can't kick. We took Banks and Brown as kickers and they can't break through.

We traded Taranto and he isn't a great kick. We have guys in the back half who could kick who have completely lost their way, Grimes, Balta and Vlaustin.

We have Rioli who is lauded as a great kick and isn't listed in key metrics as a great kick. We have Short out injured who is lauded as being an average kick with an elite rating.

It's a mess. It's a mix of poor drafting, lost confidence, and PRE hyperbole influencing how things are perceived.

Thanks bud, will do.
And for reference, go to the 3/4 mark of last night’s Sportsday show on SEN116 (which you can listen to) and amongst other things, you’ll hear him reference Balta and Grimes. He had just finished talking about Baker’s kicking, and I think he’s maybe got Baker and Grimes’ OOO numbers confused.

We took Dow as a midfielder and he can't kick. We took Banks and Brown as kickers and they can't break through.

We traded Taranto and he isn't a great kick. We have guys in the back half who could kick who have completely lost their way, Grimes, Balta and Vlaustin.

We have Rioli who is lauded as a great kick and isn't listed in key metrics as a great kick. We have Short out injured who is lauded as being an average kick with an elite rating.

It's a mess. It's a mix of poor drafting, lost confidence, and PRE hyperbole influencing how things are perceived.
Perception is the key. For example, in Rioli’s case he is very close to being benchmark but just falls short. You could make an argument for him that because he’s always running so fast out of the backline and having to hit targets that have been rolled back on by the opposition, that his numbers might be a bit down as a result.

That then brings up the question, are we trying to go too hard, too fast, too often out of the D50 ? Turning it over too much as a result ?

A quarter of our scores come from chains out of the D50 - the highest in the league apparently.

Are we over doing it ?

Reactions: 1 users

Certainly not surprised. Its been pretty clear from vision that our defensive half turnovers have been killing us. I think Broad and Short back (doesn't necessarily play HB but plays that sweeper role between defense and midfield) will have a major improvement on this. I don't really remember it being a big issue in the 1st 2 rounds, but hads fallen away badly since then and culminated in last Fridays game. I lost count of how many goals we conceded from defensive half turnovers. It had to be somewhere between 5 and 10.

Interesting stats for us.

Tylar Young stans out big time. 12.5% contested defensive losses. Most spoils (by a long way).
I think teams are working Bakes out a bit defensively, in that they are lining bigger players up on him. Sydney seemed to have Hayward on him a fair bit last week (Haywards 186cm). Melbourne might not be able to expose him as much with his height as I expect him to be on either Chandler or Pickett.

1681874583047.png

Actually these stats are great, I didn't realise these existed. This is for stoppages.

I think we'd all expect this from Nank. Elite at HO's and above average for Hit out win % but below average for Hit out to advantage. Interestingly enough, its good to see Ryan's stats. Above average for Hit out to advantage and elite at winning taps. Small sample size but good to see how this changes over the coming weeks.

1681874971653.png