Leon Cameron - astute coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Leon Cameron - astute coach

OldTiger1967

Tiger Rookie
Jun 3, 2017
Leon Cameron appears to me to be a strategic and tactical coach. Against the Western Bulldogs, Brisbane and Collingwood he worked out their weaknesses and put strategic game plans together that exploited those weaknesses.

The game plans in all instances required gut running and come the last quarter the Giant's players were out of petrol.

Cameron will have defined our weaknesses, like Geelong did in the first half last Friday evening, and will put into action a game plan to exploit them.

Stop our handball forward and tidal wave of running and you do slow our scoring, Geelong proved this in the first half but it was extremely taxing on their players. They simply couldn't run out the game.

I wonder what other strategy/tactic Leon Cameron had planned for us in the Grand Final. Is he the magician to pull a flag out of his posterior?

Hope our coaches are on their toes and alert to what Cameron comes up with.......

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Leon Cameron appears to me to be a strategic and tactical coach. Against the Western Bulldogs, Brisbane and Collingwood he worked out their weaknesses and put strategic game plans together that exploited those weaknesses.

The game plans in all instances required gut running and come the last quarter the Giant's players were out of petrol.

Cameron will have defined our weaknesses, like Geelong did in the first half last Friday evening, and will put into action a game plan to exploit them.

Stop our handball forward and tidal wave of running and you do slow our scoring, Geelong proved this in the first half but it was extremely taxing on their players. They simply couldn't run out the game.

I wonder what other strategy/tactic Leon Cameron had planned for us in the Grand Final. Is he the magician to pull a flag out of his posterior?

Hope our coaches are on their toes and alert to what Cameron comes up with.......
Works both ways. I'm sure our coaches are working on a few of their deficiencies too.

Reactions: 1 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
We have been playing the same way for three years. Every coach knows that we stun them with pressure. Many teams try to play the pressure game against us and we generally over run them. GWS have been over run by Collingwood and Brisbane and just hung on, so they will probably not go down that path.

That leaves the Collingwood mark-prop-kick, keep possession game. That works against us for long periods but requires great patience and super clean skills. It also requires that they get the jump as it is a gameplan for protecting a lead, not for winning a close game or making up a deficit.

We need to avoid quick scoring against us early and we will be fine. The pressure always gets them in the end, unless they are too far ahead to reel in,

Cameron will be looking for a quick start and then a patient period of consolidation.

Reactions: 6 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Both coaching groups will have a cupboard full of strategies to combat the other.
In the end, it will come down to the players to fulfill their roles and for the Tigers to stick to their process.
Weather the early storm that GWS will throw at us and then implement the relentless pressure that will wear the Giants down.
Come the third quarter the Tigers will unleash a tidal wave of pressure that will prove to be too relentless and will wear the opposition down.
Reckon the fourth quarter will be one where we are able to sit back and watch the Tigers do their collective thing as they power away to the flag.

Reactions: 2 users

SpaceAce

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2007
Both coaching groups will have a cupboard full of strategies to combat the other.
In the end, it will come down to the players to fulfill their roles and for the Tigers to stick to their process.
Weather the early storm that GWS will throw at us and then implement the relentless pressure that will wear the Giants down.
Come the third quarter the Tigers will unleash a tidal wave of pressure that will prove to be too relentless and will wear the opposition down.
Reckon the fourth quarter will be one where we are able to sit back and watch the Tigers do their collective thing as they power away to the flag.

I think this is exactly how it will play out also.
Im expecting GeeWhizz to be very unsettled at the start and possibly overawed by the occasion.
If this happens we have to exploit it

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
People tend to be forgetting our job on Adelaide?
We picked their game plan .

Reactions: 1 users

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Beveridge on the front bar brought up one tactic (a few times) he'd like to discuss with leon. Mentioned MMA, seemed pretty disappointed in the way geewhiz went about attacking his players

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
Beveridge on the front bar brought up one tactic (a few times) he'd like to discuss with leon. Mentioned MMA, seemed pretty disappointed in the way geewhiz went about attacking his players
Bevo is such an honest operator. Cut from the same cloth as dimma. I love his passion

Reactions: 2 users

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Not sure about that there last 2 games pies played 15 minutes and nearly pinched the game and pies were bad add to that they just got over lions there 4 qtrs they tire.Hawks monstered them not long ago think Dimma would have had a coffee with the master Clarko.

Reactions: 1 user

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne

As they say in the classics, everyone has a plan, until the first punch is thrown, then all the rational planning goes out the window.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Not sure about that there last 2 games pies played 15 minutes and nearly pinched the game and pies were bad add to that they just got over lions there 4 qtrs they tire.Hawks monstered them not long ago think Dimma would have had a coffee with the master Clarko.

The Hawks game has been in my mind too... They absolutely destroyed GWS, and it was up in Canberra.

It will be interesting to see what our coaching group has learned from it, and if any tweaks are made to put things into practice.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
every week we deal with the opposition's gameplan.
Q1 its a crapshoot and we don't control the scoring.
then Dimma and co make changes, little tweaks he says.
For the rest of the game its under our control.
The bad guys are nullified and cant switch or attack quickly.

Happens each week but just look at the big games vs Eagles, Lions, Lions Cats.
Salty Scott actually had a decent gameplan and we couldn't completely stop it in the 2nd q.
Dimma has a few more tweaks and we dominate the 2nd half.

Think about it. It takes 30mins to see and stop