Sin Bin. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sin Bin.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I’ve never ever been a supporter of a red card or Sin bin in the AFL but I think it’s time to have it introduced.
There’s no protection in a GF from a team with the intentions of playing dirty.
This has come from some comments Luke Beveridge made last night that the game between Footscray & GWS wasn’t AFL more MMA.
And fox showed a Lowlight package of Mumford the dud just mangling the opposition.
The one that got me in the package, he body slams Prestia and Prestia is in all sorts after the slam.
I don’t mind playing tough, but playing dirty is a total different thing.
This and with Chamberlain umpiring this game has me very anxious .

Reactions: 3 users

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Stay strong, Zips.

This does not become you. Men of action do not worry about such things.

Reactions: 1 user

OldTiger1967

Tiger Rookie
Jun 3, 2017
I’ve never ever been a supporter of a red card or Sin bin in the AFL but I think it’s time to have it introduced.
This has come from some comments Luke Beveridge made last night that the game between Footscray & GWS wasn’t AFL more MMA.
And fox showed a Lowlight package of Mumford the dud just mangling the opposition.
The one that got me in the package, he body slams Prestia and Prestia is in all sorts after the slam.
You weren't around for our 1973 flag. The Grand Final was a blood bath. We knocked the Carlton Captain Coach out and their star full back. One of the toughest dirtiest GFs I can remember. But it was us dishing it out.........

Reactions: 1 users

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
You weren't around for our 1973 flag. The Grand Final was a blood bath. We knocked the Carlton Captain Coach out and their star full back. One of the toughest dirtiest GFs I can remember. But it was us dishing it out.........

The shirtfront tough little Lawrie Fowler hit John "Big Nick" Nicholls with (the biggest man on the ground) was an absolute ripper. Set the tone for the rest of the match.
It was in the day when laying out players with a shirtfront were legal.

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Mumfors will be the biggest weakness if we have Nank and Soldo play to their strengths. He is certainly capable of doing a dogs acts and dog acts are hard to stop by players as they often happen late and off the ball.
We will be right Zipps. Soldo will relish the contact and Nank will leave him breathless.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Nothing wrong with a bit of old school, especially when both teams have the right to dish it out with little fear of official retribution later.

Completely different game these days n pretty much the only players that will have carte blanche to play this way will be retiring players. Beyond time that Aussie rules put a sin bin in place for thugs as they have in Rugby. Player takes someone out illegally they should be binned for as long as the victim is unavailable.
The game is difficult enough if you lose a player or two through injury, near bloody impossible if a couple of players have been lined up n taken out.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Geez this is soft Zips. HTFU.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I'm glad there is a lot of talk about how Mummy and the kids will go the knuckle. It refocuses Chamberpot's to where he can get the most airtime. You can just see him staring up at Mummy telling him to just play the game or get frees against.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
I’m sure we’d all be very comfortable if we knew the content of Hardwick’s private whispers to a few of our players, but that stays behind closed doors.

I’m calm.

Besides, their tactics probably won’t pay off in the eye of the media storm they’ve created for themselves.

A sin bin seems inevitable, but we all know how the interpretation of the rule will change in the future and players will end up being sin binned in controversial circumstances.

JimJessTorp

Barrels it!
May 20, 2009
An armchair in Sydney
A sin bin seems inevitable, but we all know how the interpretation of the rule will change in the future and players will end up being sin binned in controversial circumstances.
The AFL would *smile* it up. Like they do pretty much everything.

Rule changes - Tick
AFLX - Tick
Score Review MK 1 - Tick
Score Review MK 2 - Tick
Score Review MK 3 - Tick
Draft concessions - Tick
Essenbong - Tick

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The AFL would **** it up. Like they do pretty much everything.

Rule changes - Tick
AFLX - Tick
Score Review MK 1 - Tick
Score Review MK 2 - Tick
Score Review MK 3 - Tick
Draft concessions - Tick
Essenbong - Tick
Where's the kaboom? There's supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom after so many ticks. Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick kaboom.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004

It hasn't changed in EVERY other competition of Australian Rules.

Umpires do not usually mis-use this power. A good example is the Aarts hit on the Essendon player in the Prelim (?). He took out the guy with a late hit in a marking contest and the Essendon player went to hospital with broken bones in the jaw. Aarts was not sent off because the umpire could not see the other side where the contact occurred. Aarts got 3 weeks at the tribunal later. This is my experience from all other competitions I see.

The exception is the NRL where "professional" offences have been included as the rule has been expanded. Thus we have Smith sent off for slapping a player in the head who was holding him down or regular high contacts are reviewed by the broadcaster interminably and commentators provide an "opinion". In the Aarts case they showed the footage and they agreed that you couldn't see the contact so it was only a free for late contact.

As said, leaving this to the AFL will probably lead to the same sort of mis-use as is now creating problems in the NRL.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Hypothetical, If this was mummy’s last game and he went nuts tomorrow,

Do not be surprised to see something like a send off introduced for extreme cases of deliberate foul play where that player can take no more part, and they are down a rotation as a result

I do think eventually we will see that , the tribunal is a massive deterrent on most occasions though, but in the above hypothetical, there would be no way to punish them so it’s a bit of insurance

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I don’t agree with the sin bin concept, but I do think if it’s clear that someone’s actions have knocked an opposition player out, then that player should also have to sit the game out.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I can see the point of a send off rule but I just wouldn't trust the umpires to make me a cuppa let alone adjudicate a send off rule.

DS

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
GWS would be aware that there are a large number of Tiger players who will oblige if it gets dirty.