List Gaps | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Gaps

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
A lot of the commentary at the moment is that Richmond have no obvious gaps. Which, on the surface is no doubt true. But the fact is we need to build for the next generation as well as ensuring we maintain a team to compete for a tilt over the next 2 or 3 years. Plus we have to manage the necessary list changes that are mandated by the AFL.

So, where are our gaps?

Defence: we were tested big time this year with Rance going down but we managed to cover him and then plus some. In Balta, Garthwaite and Miller we have back up. We need to keep those two boys and, I think, even look at recruiting a KPP U18 to slot in longer term. De Koning will be perfect here

Attack: Jack went down and we managed but not without the timely recruitment of Lynch. Still, with Lynch's recent injury history and Jack getting older and more injury prone, we need multiple back up layers here. Cal Moore missed most of the year and we had Chol and Balta there at different times. I would like to see us keep Moore.

Rucks: Nankervis, Soldo, CCJ and Chol/Balta as back up. Looks deep to me as well as young. But young rucks take time. I would try developing an 18yo ruck on the rookie list if one was available

Inside Mids: Cotchin, Prestia, Dusty, Ross, RCD, Pickett and throw in Shed, Stack, Lambert and Higgins who can play multiple roles. I think we are ok in this area but need to retain all those players

Outside runners / small backs/ forwards: our game relies on these guys. We lose Bellis and there is talk about Menadue, Butler and McIntosh. We have Houli coming to the end but have Naish and Turner who look like capable replacements. There is no doubt that if we lose Menadue and/or McIntosh, we need some replacements in this area. We probably do in any event.

So, to summarise, I think a KPP defender and outside runners are our focus areas for this upcoming recruitment period. Depending on whether we let Moore go, we may also need a junior KPP forward.

Reactions: 3 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
We just won a flag by 15 goals.
If we have cracks what has the other 17 shittkickers got?

**enjoy it mate..
Worry about the cracks when cotchin dusty jack lynch & castagna have gone.

Reactions: 6 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I think “potentially “ we have all areas covered as well as we ever have, in saying that it would be nice to have a couple of young kpp coming through strongly, obviously nobody is going to knock, Lynch, Reiwoldt, Grimes, Rance out of the way in a hurry.

Outstanding work by Blair, Balme and Clarke

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane
I think we're in the luxurious place of being able to recruit for the medium-to-long term replacements for Lynch/Jack and Rance/Grimes, without the pressure to have them come into the team in the next 1-3 years. With the departure of quite a bit of run over the last couple of years, I think we also may need to draft some endurance types, say like Scully, to go with Fraser Turner and Naish to cover for Brando over the medium term.

We seem like we covered inside mid last draft with Jack Ross, RCD and Luke English, so wouldn't touch that area, nor smalls, nor rucks.

Otherwise, look to free agency to get star power (a la Tom Lynch) in the midfield as a succession plan for Cotch and Dusty, as we hopefully won't have premium picks in the near future!

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
In some ways finally getting to the top it’s easier to stay there. That’s why Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong have been very good for 10 or more seasons.

That is that once you develop the well oiled machine you only need to “top up” by sourcing the required type from free agency or a trade. And your draftee kids get to develop at pace in the VFL. We are seeing it now with the Tigers. No great massive list changes, Lynch through FA, probably a minor trade or 2. Tinkering.

Reactions: 2 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
We just won a flag by 15 goals.
If we have cracks what has the other 17 shittkickers got?

**enjoy it mate..
Worry about the cracks when cotchin dusty jack lynch & castagna have gone.

My point is if we wait until then, we can expect another 30 years languishing in mediocrity. We need to make sure we are looking forward to 5/10 years down the track as well as next year. We start equal last before round 1 next year.

Besides, if we just sit here only talking about how good we are, it's going to get a bit boring. We need something else to talk about.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
My point is if we wait until then, we can expect another 30 years languishing in mediocrity. We need to make sure we are looking forward to 5/10 years down the track as well as next year. We start equal last before round 1 next year.

Besides, if we just sit here only talking about how good we are, it's going to get a bit boring. We need something else to talk about.

Watching dusty Cotchin & Castagna play, I can die happy.
Let the next generation wait 37 years like I did.

• Haha

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
Right now, we have No Gaps.

We should get Selleys No More Gaps on board as a sponsor.

Soak it up.

End thread.

• Haha

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Good thread. Definitely light on for young KPP talent to replace our aging stars in 2-3 years time so fingers crossed we can somehow jag at least two in the draft this year. We have some inside and outside midfield talent coming through but can't rely on them coming on so need more. I don't see a need to bring in established players so we should just go to the draft.

Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
We have to look for good prospects in the draft who will mature over the next few years to replace our then aging fleet but I don't see anyone in the current trade who would be of real value to us without breaking the salary bank so go for youth not second hand this time round

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A key back, a young key forward and a couple of true midfielders.

None have to play next year, more fodder for the Fly treatment. Growth will come from Ross, Naish, Turner, RCD, Balta, Chol, CCJ who have had one or two years in the player development factory of the vfl.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
short term, essentially none. Medium term a few if you have a look, but importantly less than most sides. Long term, sure, there are always long term gaps. We have a draft coming up too remember.

bottom line, we're in clover.

James

Tiger Rookie
Sep 11, 2016
We are in excellent shape. Even when Butler, Menadue and McIntosh move on we have cover for all positions.
We have a few who are possibly borderline with maybe Markov, Miller, Moore and English yet to establish they have the talent to make it at AFL level.
The rest of the list has progressed in a way which reflects well of our footy dept and our recruiters.
There are also 5 not yet on our main list, who have shown enough. Baker, Chol, Egglemont-Smith, Pickitt and Stack. Any other club except maybe GC, would happily give up all of their draft selections to take this group and they are pretty much ours for free.
Over this draft we should be able to trade Butler, Menadue and McIntosh to upgrade the three late second rounders we currently have for earlier picks, with maybe Collingwood’s Sam Murray also coming as a free agent
Putting up a trade for an early pick next year would be the iceing.Love to find a way to move one of our better players to GC for that future pick 11.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
A lot of the commentary at the moment is that Richmond have no obvious gaps. Which, on the surface is no doubt true. But the fact is we need to build for the next generation as well as ensuring we maintain a team to compete for a tilt over the next 2 or 3 years. Plus we have to manage the necessary list changes that are mandated by the AFL.

So, where are our gaps?

Defence: we were tested big time this year with Rance going down but we managed to cover him and then plus some. In Balta, Garthwaite and Miller we have back up. We need to keep those two boys and, I think, even look at recruiting a KPP U18 to slot in longer term. De Koning will be perfect here

Attack: Jack went down and we managed but not without the timely recruitment of Lynch. Still, with Lynch's recent injury history and Jack getting older and more injury prone, we need multiple back up layers here. Cal Moore missed most of the year and we had Chol and Balta there at different times. I would like to see us keep Moore.

Rucks: Nankervis, Soldo, CCJ and Chol/Balta as back up. Looks deep to me as well as young. But young rucks take time. I would try developing an 18yo ruck on the rookie list if one was available

Inside Mids: Cotchin, Prestia, Dusty, Ross, RCD, Pickett and throw in Shed, Stack, Lambert and Higgins who can play multiple roles. I think we are ok in this area but need to retain all those players

Outside runners / small backs/ forwards: our game relies on these guys. We lose Bellis and there is talk about Menadue, Butler and McIntosh. We have Houli coming to the end but have Naish and Turner who look like capable replacements. There is no doubt that if we lose Menadue and/or McIntosh, we need some replacements in this area. We probably do in any event.

So, to summarise, I think a KPP defender and outside runners are our focus areas for this upcoming recruitment period. Depending on whether we let Moore go, we may also need a junior KPP forward.
I agree with all of this brissy but want to add that I recon ccj is a forward ruck option the next few years at least while his body develops

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I am more than happy to hi the Draft this yr, we have a strong hand atm & keep adding to the next generation we have coming through.

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
We need good people who buy into the system. All the current players have stepped up when asked.

We will need to get a new range of big stars. We have players with ability and they are going to have to step up.

tigerjoe12

Tiger Superstar
Aug 24, 2006
IMO we should target the following in order of preference

KPD
Mobile fwd
Winger/outside mid/HBF
Genuine mid

Consensus seems somewhat consistent. Don’t need to draft any small forwards, backs or rucks.

Despite the premiership still a lot of good picks. I wouldn’t disagree with trading two of the 40-ish picks for something earlier but back our recruiting team in regardless & apparently is hard to pick after around pick five so could be a decent draft to have a lot if 2nd/3rd rounders

No 4

I did what I did for the Tigers - Bridget
Feb 11, 2005
nunawading/mitcham
I think “potentially “ we have all areas covered as well as we ever have, in saying that it would be nice to have a couple of young kpp coming through strongly, obviously nobody is going to knock, Lynch, Reiwoldt, Grimes, Rance out of the way in a hurry.

Outstanding work by Blair, Balme and Clarke
Yes, KPP for sure and for the future. Next year, I expect the fringe players we have will get more time (rest more older players... a win win situation for us)