List Gaps | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Gaps

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Our list is in great shape.

When you look at guys that will be pushing to get into this Premiership team, we have a pretty good list. Perfect? No, but who has ever had a perfect list? Next year we regain the AA defender too. I have great trust in what the club is doing.

Look at what we got through this year with all the injuries. We won when we had to and got games into young guys. This will stand them in good stead. We're letting guys go to other clubs for a bag of chips and can afford to do it. Good luck to them if they get better opportunities.

Lets go to the draft and uncover a few more gems. I love what we've done with Stack & Pickett. Nobody is doing what Richmond are doing.

And being a destination club, who knows, if salary cap permits, we may land another big fish next year.

I'm so proud of our club.
Right, regardless of where we are, we still need the fresh blood of the draft. We don’t want for a great deal though...

Reactions: 1 users

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
A good culture trumps everything. The way we are now , I am almost ready to concede that whoever we recruit will be moulded into what we need. There appears to be a ton of buy-in atm. Long may it continue.

Reactions: 3 users

Frank Booth

Tiger Cub
Apr 9, 2016
A lot of the commentary at the moment is that Richmond have no obvious gaps. Which, on the surface is no doubt true. But the fact is we need to build for the next generation as well as ensuring we maintain a team to compete for a tilt over the next 2 or 3 years. Plus we have to manage the necessary list changes that are mandated by the AFL.

So, where are our gaps?

Defence: we were tested big time this year with Rance going down but we managed to cover him and then plus some. In Balta, Garthwaite and Miller we have back up. We need to keep those two boys and, I think, even look at recruiting a KPP U18 to slot in longer term. De Koning will be perfect here

Attack: Jack went down and we managed but not without the timely recruitment of Lynch. Still, with Lynch's recent injury history and Jack getting older and more injury prone, we need multiple back up layers here. Cal Moore missed most of the year and we had Chol and Balta there at different times. I would like to see us keep Moore.

Rucks: Nankervis, Soldo, CCJ and Chol/Balta as back up. Looks deep to me as well as young. But young rucks take time. I would try developing an 18yo ruck on the rookie list if one was available

Inside Mids: Cotchin, Prestia, Dusty, Ross, RCD, Pickett and throw in Shed, Stack, Lambert and Higgins who can play multiple roles. I think we are ok in this area but need to retain all those players

Outside runners / small backs/ forwards: our game relies on these guys. We lose Bellis and there is talk about Menadue, Butler and McIntosh. We have Houli coming to the end but have Naish and Turner who look like capable replacements. There is no doubt that if we lose Menadue and/or McIntosh, we need some replacements in this area. We probably do in any event.

So, to summarise, I think a KPP defender and outside runners are our focus areas for this upcoming recruitment period. Depending on whether we let Moore go, we may also need a junior KPP forward.
I am very sold and bullish on DES - He looks like a potential rebounding half back in the Houli mode

Reactions: 2 users

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Overall the trade period has been dead boring let's be honest, from our point of view it is fantastic seeing how desperate the other Clubs are, i don't miss waiting to see which C grade player we'll get to be the messiah or "Doozy" as other Clubs are doing atm. Some rather average players have become Superstars over the last week or so it seems...

Reactions: 3 users

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
These are rare times. Who would have thought this time three years ago that we would have witnessed two dominant premiership performances in the next 36 months? This is a special group, but times moves fast. As fans, we need to savour them because we know how long it can be between drinks. There is at least one more flag in them, but a look three years ahead shows us it is harvest time right now. The club and the players are well aware of this.

In 2022, our current list will turn:
34 - Houli, Jack, Sheds
33 - Rance
32 - Chimp
31 - Dusty, Grimes, DTLD, Lambo
30 - Prestia, Lynch, Caddy, Pickett
29 - Broad
28 - Floss, KMac, Nank, Aarts
27 - _____
26 - Soldo, Menadue, Butler, Short, Castagna, Markov, Moore
25 - Rioli, Chol
24 - Baker, Bolton, Graham, Garth, Eggs
23 - Higlet, Balta, CJ, Naish, Miller
22 - RCD, Ross, Stack, Turner, English

13 blokes 30 or over, all quality. Not all will be around, hopefully several are. 14 blokes 24 or under (plus three years of draftees) - plenty of quality. There is a looming hole in the crucial 25-29 age group (12 of this year's premiership team in this age bracket). Blair will be all over this and I have no doubt we will look to bring in free agents/trades to fill these gaps. This goes some way to explaining the interest in Zak Jones - he will turn 27 in 2022. Expect us to target blokes from the 2011-15 draft years as they become available.
Totally on the ball assessment, list management is the science of eveness through the age profile brackets, so spot on Spook! The one area specific issue we do have is down back I think, when Rancey went down for good we were lucky that we only lost Astbury for a short period because Garth on exposed form wasn't quite up to it and the others are untried. Balta, when I went through his draft year with Rod Austin, was the one question mark because no one really knew where his position was so this might cause us an issue down back. In that draft year we had Naughton & Taylor (GWS) as the stand out defenders, we should be thinking along that form line IMV.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
The list gaps are definitely in the talls.

My view over how we approach the next couple of drafts is we need to get talls inside the top 20 as whilst you may get lucky outside of this area, the likelihood is if you are getting a better tall they will be in the top 20, which is why I'm big on looking to push our picks up the order into 2nds next year, and then trade into the 1st round next year. There should be plenty of suitors with the number of academy and f/s selections.

If we can keep picks as well in the 30-50 range and target mids (as we have done in recent drafts with Graham / Ross types) then I think we are well set.

We may start to drift down as our stars begin to retire in a few years, but that will give us higher draft picks to pick the next rung of high tier mids to drive us forward again and hopefully with the tall structure therefore entering their prime.

We are in a good place, just need to shore up these high impact tall positions for the next 10 years with draft picks. CCJ and Balta should be 2 but we need some defensive ones to support them as I think they are both ruck / forwards rather than defenders.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
These are rare times. Who would have thought this time three years ago that we would have witnessed two dominant premiership performances in the next 36 months? This is a special group, but times moves fast. As fans, we need to savour them because we know how long it can be between drinks. There is at least one more flag in them, but a look three years ahead shows us it is harvest time right now. The club and the players are well aware of this.

34 - Houli, Jack, Sheds
33 - Rance
32 - Chimp
29 - Broad
27 - _____
25 - Rioli, Chol

13 blokes 30 or over, all quality. Not all will be around, hopefully several are. 14 blokes 24 or under (plus three years of draftees) - plenty of quality. There is a looming hole in the crucial 25-29 age group (12 of this year's premiership team in this age bracket). Blair will be all over this and I have no doubt we will look to bring in free agents/trades to fill these gaps. This goes some way to explaining the interest in Zak Jones - he will turn 27 in 2022. Expect us to target blokes from the 2011-15 draft years as they become available.
This is a good post, i can only imagine how some other Clubs would look with the same comparison list done for thier playing list. This shows we need to keep adding to the next wave coming through. Definitely need to add some talls over the coming yrs.

Reactions: 1 user

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Developing key forward is something we are missing. I dont think Callum Moore is the answer

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
The list gaps are definitely in the talls.

My view over how we approach the next couple of drafts is we need to get talls inside the top 20 as whilst you may get lucky outside of this area, the likelihood is if you are getting a better tall they will be in the top 20, which is why I'm big on looking to push our picks up the order into 2nds next year, and then trade into the 1st round next year. There should be plenty of suitors with the number of academy and f/s selections.

If we can keep picks as well in the 30-50 range and target mids (as we have done in recent drafts with Graham / Ross types) then I think we are well set.

We may start to drift down as our stars begin to retire in a few years, but that will give us higher draft picks to pick the next rung of high tier mids to drive us forward again and hopefully with the tall structure therefore entering their prime.

We are in a good place, just need to shore up these high impact tall positions for the next 10 years with draft picks. CCJ and Balta should be 2 but we need some defensive ones to support them as I think they are both ruck / forwards rather than defenders.

I agree 100% !

Got to look for talls in the next few drafts. If we can close to the 200 cms types would be great.

It’s the one area as some have stated which will be a weakness of ours once our guns get towards the end.

Gives them time to develop in our system while our guns are still playing good footy.

Plus another developing tall forward to be there to partner Lynch as Jack with the role he plays, the toll in his body, maybe 2? years left, maybe 3. Smart football brain Jack.

This way we keep our window open for longer!

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Just trade for Ben King in 3 years via our Gold Coast Academy.

• Haha

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
In some ways finally getting to the top it’s easier to stay there. That’s why Sydney, Hawthorn, Geelong have been very good for 10 or more seasoN
Heretic. Wasn't salary cap draft etc etc meant to make success fleeting, and the ladder a sort of conveyor belt shuffling teams up and down ?
Like al these govt enquiries and resulting rules, the outcome is generally the opposite of intentions.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Overall the trade period has been dead boring let's be honest, from our point of view it is fantastic seeing how desperate the other Clubs are, i don't miss waiting to see which C grade player we'll get to be the messiah or "Doozy" as other Clubs are doing atm. Some rather average players have become Superstars over the last week or so it seems...

Wash your mouth out....based on media hype 2020 GF is Blooos v Aints.

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Just looking at possible KPD's in the draft or players who might be able to be turned into one.

Fisher Mcasey 195/86 - most likely the first KP to be drafted
Luke Jackson 197/93 - agile tall with a quick footy brain
Josh Worrell 193/78 - could even project as a Tall Mid
Harrison Jones 194/75 - plays all thirds of the ground
Sam De Konig 200/85 - All Australian Fullback

Also with our system in top shape, I wonder if we are able to mould players like a Sokol or a Riccardi into Swingmen or even genuine backs?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

34 - Houli, Jack, Sheds
33 - Rance
32 - Chimp

29 - Broad
27 - _____

25 - Rioli, Chol

good analysis spook.

I've quickly bracketed them to help me understand (im a visual learner)

simplistically, the top bracket is gone in 2022 and we have veteran book ends in Grimes and Lynch (DTLD will be gone at 29 the punishment he absorbs)

Dusty and Dion veteran mids augmented by young bucks Rioli, Higlet. Bolton, Bakes, JG.

Our ruck stocks are fine for a decade.

my 5 minute analysis says we speculate on precocious KPP's in the next 2 drafts who will be 21-22 in this line up.

Also suggests to me that Balta and CCJ are long term blue chip investments we need to plan to pay overs to keep.

we probably should grab another once-a-generation player before we all have grandkids too.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
We need junior KPP at least 2 defenders and another forward to develop as we will lose Rance and Jack in the next 2 years.

Guys with genuine size as the Key Forwards coming through are all seeming to be 2 m tall these days or nigh on it..

Another classy ball winning and distributing HB would'nt go astray nor would another big midfielder or 2.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
I think we need to target free agents over the next 3 years, as our older players drop off. We should be an attractive option for free agents.

It will fill a need in the 25 to 29 year bracket. Money should be available as the older players drop off.

Because of our high positioning on the ladder, the value of our draft picks is low, making it difficult to obtain A grade youth via the draft.

In summary, make the most of our rather poor draft picks by choosing best available youth. Target free agents to replace our aging stars. Ideally get one free agent each year for the next 3 to 4 years.