Little things that annoy you.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Little things that annoy you....

rosy3 said:
I heard that 10 out of 10 comment and it wasn't specifically referring to Melbourne. As Tim said the predictions were for the weekend not just today. We've had 85 mm of rain here so far today and it's still bucketing down. Still got the weekend to come. Paddocks are under water. Roads will be closed soon. I don't know if that's unprecedented for summer but I've certainly never seen it here.

My point is the 'major flooding'....it hasn't happened anywhere. I suppose they can twiddle with the figures as much as they can everyday. The latest at 6:00pm Friday Dec 1 shows the NE cops 250mm+, Central Vic (inc Melb) cops just 50-100mm and the SW has dried up. I'm sure Jane Bunn is talking about the next 2 days. Let's see these figures dissipate in the next 48 hours.

TigerForce said:
My point is the 'major flooding'....it hasn't happened anywhere. I suppose they can twiddle with the figures as much as they can everyday. The latest at 6:00pm Friday Dec 1 shows the NE cops 250mm+, Central Vic (inc Melb) cops just 50-100mm and the SW has dried up. I'm sure Jane Bunn is talking about the next 2 days. Let's see these figures dissipate in the next 48 hours.

See what happens I guess. They can only forecast what the predictors indicate. Weather isn't always known to play by the rules though. I appreciate the warning of what could happen. Some of our paddocks are under water and sheep have had to be moved. We've had enormous rain today and it's still going. Maybe you're a tad impatient as far as major flooding goes considering it's only Friday. It takes time for the runoff to have effect. I for one hope they're wrong but I also appreciate the warnings.

rosy3 said:
See what happens I guess. They can only forecast what the predictors indicate. Weather isn't always known to play by the rules though. I appreciate the warning of what could happen. Some of our paddocks are under water and sheep have had to be moved. We've had enormous rain today and it's still going. Maybe you're a tad impatient as far as major flooding goes considering it's only Friday. It takes time for the runoff to have effect. I for one hope they're wrong but I also appreciate the warnings.

Tad on the sceptic side, as I follow the weather everyday and have experienced for too long that whenever heavy falls are forecast, the predicted millimetres dissipate as we get closer to that day(s). I live in the northern suburbs which is virtually equivalent to Sahara desert weather in spring & summer. No wind/breeze, all dry, blue sky and hot sun. Hate it with a vengeance.

TigerForce said:
Tad on the sceptic side, as I follow the weather everyday and have experienced for too long that whenever heavy falls are forecast, the predicted millimetres dissipate as we get closer to that day(s). I live in the northern suburbs which is virtually equivalent to Sahara desert weather in spring & summer. No wind/breeze, all dry, blue sky and hot sun. Hate it with a vengeance.

How much rain predicted for your area today/this weekend? They're pretty spot on for the N/E today. I can't remember the last time we had this much rain in a day...let alone in summer.

rosy3 said:
How much rain predicted for your area today/this weekend? They're pretty spot on for the N/E today. I can't remember the last time we had this much rain in a day...let alone in summer.

20mm so far as BOM shows, but seemed more like just 10mm. Jane's predicted 50 - 100mm for the next 2 days......I doubt it'll happen.

Your zone's supposed to be 250mm+.....keep a firm eye on that + sign.... :hihi

TigerForce said:
Just like other times we've seen in recent years. As for this one, they quoted up to 200mm of rain especially affecting in regional areas. Nowhere got past 75mm.

It's all sensationalism. Believe it or not, there was a chance the CBD was going to close down and make people go home.

And if they didn’t say anything you’d be whingeing about no warning.

Why do you give a toss anyway?

And it’s a 3 day heavy rain forecast not one day.

Just something else for a grumpy old geezer to whinge about it seems. Should change your username to Mr Wilson.

MD Jazz said:

Just something else for a grumpy old geezer to whinge about it seems. Should change your username to Mr Wilson.

Come on, the Bureau is well known for its Leftist outlook and tying any slight weather variation to "climate change" every chance they get, including this one. If Melbourne doesn't end up receiving serious rain this weekend, it will set the cause back years.

Meanwhile almost two years have passed since the mercury last touched 40 degrees.

MD Jazz said:

Keep blowing your trombones. Lots of hot air coming out of that.

I know it's a 3 day forecast idiot. Just no need to sensationalise as much as they have (and nearly always do).

TigerForce said:
Just like other times we've seen in recent years. As for this one, they quoted up to 200mm of rain especially affecting in regional areas. Nowhere got past 75mm.

It's all sensationalism. Believe it or not, there was a chance the CBD was going to close down and make people go home.

We have had 156 mm in 24 hours. Towns are being evacuated. The highway is blocked due to water iver the riad so we can't get to Melbourne. The creek behind our house has broken it's banks for the first time. There is still major rain forecast. It takes a whike for the run off from the catchment areas to flow through the rivers. As far as I'm concerned the warnings were with good reason.

rosy3 said:
We have had 156 mm in 24 hours. Towns are being evacuated. The highway is blocked due to water iver the riad so we can't get to Melbourne. The creek behind our house has broken it's banks for the first time. There is still major rain forecast. It takes a whike for the run off from the catchment areas to flow through the rivers. As far as I'm concerned the warnings were with good reason.

Game. Set and match. Hope the house stays dry

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Come on, the Bureau is well known for its Leftist outlook and tying any slight weather variation to "climate change" every chance they get, including this one. If Melbourne doesn't end up receiving serious rain this weekend, it will set the cause back years.

Exactly. Everyone knows the BoM is festooned with leftists. Neighbour just said exactly that over the back fence. I heard they want to ban ice cream.

tigersnake said:
Exactly. Everyone knows the BoM is festooned with leftists. Neighbour just said exactly that over the back fence. I heard they want to ban ice cream.

My neighbour told me that a source from the BOM told her that they wanted to make more ice cream to replace the polar ice that is melting.

It's funny how everyone who advocates for climate change is labeled a Lefftie - just another way to belittle a point of view.

rosy3 said:

Yeh, lots of mayhem caused by flooding but clearly not enough death and destruction for some.

Personally happy things haven’t been as bad as forecast in Melbourne.

rosy3 said:

Warnings OK but it's the sensationalised figures (mm of rain) that I argue about. 156mm sounds reasonable for the NE but nowhere near 250mm+ as they quoted. Yeah, it's still just Saturday morning, but the radar looks like it's drying up for the rest of the day now even considering the updated figures (mm) have been lowered.....as expected.

Overall it's good to see Vic get this rain especially the regional areas. I just wish it was more consistent. Let's see the dam level figures to go above 70% this time?

The high figures were forecast for the alpine areas of the N/E. Do you know how much they've had. A friend here has had 212. Think you're being a bit picky TF. I hope todays predicted rain doesn't eventuate. Already had heaps of fencing and gates washed away

rosy3 said:
The high figures were forecast for the alpine areas of the N/E. Do you know how much they've had. A friend here has had 212. Think you're being a bit picky TF. I hope todays predicted rain doesn't eventuate. Already had heaps of fencing and gates washed away

Yes, I accept that parts of the state have experienced heavy rain and flooding, as forecast. However that forecast extended to the whole of the state, including Melbourne.

"Half the inhabitants of Melbourne have never ever seen anything like this."

- Scott Williams, BOM senior forecaster

I know two people who were involved in organising major events in Melbourne who are now furious that they were cancelled after the predicted emergency conditions did not even come close to arriving.

Not greatly fazed, the boss said to stay home yesterday.

rosy3 said:

Whatever BOM shows: Falls Creek ~ 120mm, Mt Buller ~ 139mm, Rutherglen ~ 58mm, Albury ~ 60mm, Hunters Hill ~ 95mm.......nowhere near 200mm.

Doesn't matter. At least it rained that's the important part. It's all drizzle now. ;D

:hihi
24130007_10155230968011317_1844636568871176175_n.jpg

Petrol stations that don't have windscreen cleaner in the squeegee bucket. Bloody hard to get bugs off the windscreen with just water. Lift!