#lolNorf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

#lolNorf

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

North Melbourne is “in the box seat” to land Alastair Clarkson, having gone “all-in” to try and land the four-time premiership coach, reports Seven.
It comes as Ross Lyon declared a return to coaching had “not been on my radar”, but said he’d take a call from the Kangaroos “out of respect” if they approached him.

Clarkson, who spent most of his playing career at Arden Street including 93 games across the 1987-95 seasons, is reportedly seeking $1.6 million a year on his next contract.

That would blow away the current top coaches’ salaries. With the 2023 soft cap set for $6,950,000, it means the Kangaroos would be spending 23 per cent of their entire budget on Clarkson, reducing their ability to staff up around him.

For comparison, Sydney’s John Longmire is on an estimated $1m to $1.2m a year, Richmond triple premiership coach Damien Hardwick on an estimated $900,000 to $1.1 million, and West Coast’s Adam Simpson on an estimated $800,000 to $900,000.

Paul Roos’ $1.5 million per-year deal with the Demons in 2014 is widely considered the highest-paying coaching gig in football — Clarkson’s request would set a new benchmark.

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
This could be the final nail in North if they pay Clarkson this much.
I don't think they have any other choice, they need to try something big to re-generate the club and give the players and members hope going forward. They have tried the conservative approach with their coaches and it hasn't worked, it is sink or swim time.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
This could be the final nail in North if they pay Clarkson this much.
Seriously if they can afford this they need no priority pick.They really should be looking for a mid tier salaried coach and spend the rest on better players.Failing that the Tassie roos is more likely.

Reactions: 1 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
I don't think they have any other choice, they need to try something big to re-generate the club and give the players and members hope going forward. They have tried the conservative approach with their coaches and it hasn't worked, it is sink or swim time.
Better grab the life jackets then.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Seriously if they can afford this they need no priority pick.They really should be looking for a mid tier salaried coach and spend the rest on better players.Failing that the Tassie roos is more likely.
That only works if the excess from the soft cap can be incorporated into the tpp cap. I agree that paying a quarter of your soft cap on one staff member doesn’t work, though.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not a great week to be applying for a priority pick.
Completely self inflicted injury due to incompetent list management. Should be made to clean up their own *smile* stains instead of hanging out the begging bowl n looking for everyone else to clean up after them.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
All due respect for Clarko, but why is he treated like a messiah just coz he won 4 flags and yet Dimma winning just 1 less doesn't make him one?

As it looks more likely that Clarko will become coach of his original club, there's no guarantee he'd make them as successful as the Dorks again. All based on reputation.

This possible bust could be more laughable than we think.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
All due respect for Clarko, but why is he treated like a messiah just coz he won 4 flags and yet Dimma winning just 1 less doesn't make him one?

As it looks more likely that Clarko will become coach of his original club, there's no guarantee he'd make them as successful as the Dorks again. All based on reputation.

It could all bust for Clarko with North TF.

Dimma isn’t respected in the media for what he achieved. Came so close to four in a row as I truly believe we would have beaten WC .

Goodness sakes Scott is seen as better than Dimma because of his H&A record at that diamond ground they play on.

Gee I hope they choke again!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

The thing about Clarko is that in the last few years of his term at the hawks he wasn’t that successful and imo he left the club in limbo. Not rebuilding and not contending.
He has been a great coach but I wonder if his next appointment may have some Mick Malthouse at Carlton about it?
Is he still the “master coach“ he was up to 2016 ? ( although they did overperform in 2018)

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
The thing about Clarko is that in the last few years of his term at the hawks he wasn’t that successful and imo he left the club in limbo. Not rebuilding and not contending.
He has been a great coach but I wonder if his next appointment may have some Mick Malthouse at Carlton about it?
Is he still the “master coach“ he was up to 2016 ? ( although they did overperform in 2018)
Exactly my thoughts Sin. A tad over-rated from what I see.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Clarkson's a good coach, but he lucked in getting Franklin, Roughead & Lewis in the same draft.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
If the Norf players couldn’t handle Noble’s “directness” then how on earth would they handle Clarko’s ?
Wait till Caro hears about Clarko’s yelling and swearing at the players.

“‘But my mum got mad at me and I’m still scared of my mum’? Who is he? Scott Morrison? Seriously, that was not good enough.”

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Wait till Caro hears about Clarko’s yelling and swearing at the players.

“‘But my mum got mad at me and I’m still scared of my mum’? Who is he? Scott Morrison? Seriously, that was not good enough.”
Between her and Mince Whateley it’s hard to work out who is the most shocked, appalled, and shaken and stirred at everything all the time.

Reactions: 1 user