Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

I have zero experience with elite level strength and conditioning but even I could see that Prestia should have never backed up from a 5 day break.
I do have lots of experience with elite level strength and conditioning, and I think they shouldve erred on the side of caution with Prestia given his history. Part of the role is about looking at the overall picture, not just week to week, and whilst a player might present as fine and injury free, looking at the bigger pictire of their history and what the club needs long term has to be taken into consideration. That's what separates the people at the top level. Rob Inness was elite at this.

Reactions: 8 users
Part of the role is about looking at the overall picture, not just week to week, and whilst a player might present as fine and injury free, looking at the bigger pictire of their history and what the club needs long term has to be taken into consideration. That's what separates the people at the top level. Rob Inness was elite at this.
Correct.

With Lynch coming off such a short preseason, you have to wonder about playing so soon into the season.
Hope they were cautious with his build up

Reactions: 1 user
Hmmmmm fool me once…. It’s getting to be a bit of a concerning trend

I do have lots of experience with elite level strength and conditioning, and I think they shouldve erred on the side of caution with Prestia given his history. Part of the role is about looking at the overall picture, not just week to week, and whilst a player might present as fine and injury free, looking at the bigger pictire of their history and what the club needs long term has to be taken into consideration. That's what separates the people at the top level. Rob Inness was elite at this.
Send in your resume!!

How many of the current injuries can have conditioning as a contributing factor? When it keeps happening it can’t always be bad luck. I don’t care if it goes over the soft cap, find the best people in this area and pay them what they want.

Reactions: 3 users
With Lynch coming off such a short preseason, you have to wonder about playing so soon into the season.
Hope they were cautious with his build up
My Intel was they treated him very cautiously, probably our most important player.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know much about sports physio, preparation, conditioning, etc ..
but this is getting a little ridiculous
they are obviously missing stuff, and shouldn't be, there's a lot at stake

Look he needs to go no doubt and the department needs a clean out , but you can't blame him for Lynch through and Balta yesterday. Lynch did all his conditioning his just fragile now.

• Dislike
Injuries to Lynch, Martin, Grimes and Prestia have nothing to do with Meehan. These guys are experience, ageing professionals who would be running their own show after years of basically doing the same thing every year. They know their bodies better than anyone. If anything, it would be the players pushing too hard and over doing things. lynch had to be held back. Martin would play on one leg if he could.

Gibcus ACL = Meehan fault LOL
Balta knee injury = Meehan fault LOL
Lynch landed badly apparently. Did Meehan push him like Hawkins pushed Soldo?

• Dislike
Reactions: 6 users
Blaming the strength and conditioning dept, and one guy in the dept in particular, doesn't really hold up imho.

I mean, is anyone really surprised that aging, and/or injury-prone players get injured? I reckon if we had held a straw poll prior to the season on which players were most likely to spend time out injured, based on history alone you'd expect Prestia, Grimes, Lynch, and Graham to be up there.

Gibcus was cruel luck, but onfield injuries happen. And they tend to happen to players coming back from a long period off who may be subconsciously trying to protect the old injury.

Hopper did his knee on field. It happens.

Tresize had his legs taken out from under him and was lucky to walk away.

Dusty has calf trouble. Again, not overly surprising given it's the old-man injury, and he's kinda old.

When was the last time Graham had an injury free season? Yeah I don't know either.

Grimes has been broken for a while now, and honestly the backline has looked better without him in it.

And anyone expecting Prestia to play more than 50% of games in a season these days is kidding themselves. I don't buy the 'if we just gave Prestia another week off he'd be ok' line. He's paid to play footy. If his body can no longer handle it, maybe it's time to hang up the boots. Or take a pay cut commensurate to the amount of time his actually able to get on the park.

Yes, we have a lot of injuries, but it's mainly the usual suspects filling the roster. Does anyone truly believe that a new strength and conditioning team would miraculously keep Prestia on the park for longer? Or arrest the passage of time and prevent it from eroding the physical prowess of our once great champions? Or prevent the sort of footy incidents that happen every week to every team? Of course not. There's no golden bullet here.

...but there is a silver lining. Kids are getting games they wouldn't have gotten. They're being thrust into positions of responsibility and accountability before their time. We're going to find out a hell of a lot about the list this season, before hitting the draft with a pretty strong hand. Injuries played a massive role in shaping our premiership dynasty after they effectively forced Dimma to reinvent the game in 2017. The list balance is very different in 2024, but it could prove to be a defining year nevertheless.

• Dislike
Reactions: 12 users
Geelong and other aging sides don’t have the long list of injuries we have had over the last few years. Can’t put that down to luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Look he needs to go no doubt and the department needs a clean out , but you can't blame him for Lynch through and Balta yesterday. Lynch did all his conditioning his just fragile now.
Maybe but also maybe lynch shouldn’t have spent 94.55 of 115.22 minutes on the ground or maybe his warm up or warm down routine is wrong. We don’t get to know what’s going wrong but it’s clearly not working.

Reactions: 2 users
Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

Didn't realise there were so many sports scientists on PRE.
I could tell from watching Lynch hobble to the bench in front of me that it was because Livingstone his his workbuddy Luke.
And Luke clearly doesn't know s&c like we know s&c

How many of the current injuries can have conditioning as a contributing factor? When it keeps happening it can’t always be bad luck. I don’t care if it goes over the soft cap, find the best people in this area and pay them what they want.
I agree that many of our problems come from pushing our guys before they are ready but with Gibcus, Lynch and Balta injures, they were just happenstance due to landing awkwardly. However I accept that the club needs to look at a the conditioning team to see where we can improve