Malthouse/Buckley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Malthouse/Buckley

B

Bill James

Malthouse won the pies a flag with a pretty ordinary list. Buckley has bought a $$$ list for $ on the hope of success and still can't get it done.

Quite honestly they were lucky to meet GWS at the G and Richmond in the finals last year (they match our game style and players very well) or they could have gone straight out. How many teams in the 8 had they beaten before the finals, Melbourne?

Bit like Richmond this year, we are already at the bye rounds and have only beaten one in team in the 8. We need to get some players back or we are making up the numbers this year and will need to get super luck like the pies did last year.

Rabbia

Tiger Cub
Aug 18, 2015
That's a bit oversimplified isn't it?

I'm not sure if the Collingwood list their premiership year was "pretty ordinary", and Buckley didn't have a great list, certainly not available to play, for quite a period - there were all kinds of internal troubles, including recruiting. I'd agree they seem to be in trouble now, in terms of maintaining their list, so you might say they've overspent the bucks, but they are where they are now, for this year. As always I'll be more than hoping they can't pull it off.

Last year they developed, much as we did in 2017. They adopted elements of our style, then worked around it. And they won when it mattered, much to my disgust, but they lost ulimately, much to my delight. Buckley has to be given credit though, for having worked all that.

We've only beaten 1 team in the 8 yes, but we've only played 3 teams in the 8 thus far plus with all that's happened along the way, so...what can we make of it? Not so much, yet. It will all be a bit clearer in these next few weeks leading up to our bye. But as you say, even if we don't come out of these next few weeks well, we can't know what we can do, until we get certain players back and the team back in full sync. As many have said, I've said already, I'm amazed we've done as well as we have, considering. But we will get players back, so then it's another ball game. With all that said though, I'm not sure how far we can go - I don't think anyone can be at this point. But at the same time, I don't think we'll just be making up the numbers, even if, in the end, we fall short. I still think we are a good team. There'll also be a lot of breaks between now, and the end of the season.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It’s only taken 8 years. It wasn’t like the people outside Collingwood didn’t realise that Malthouse was getting reamed.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Tigers of Old said:
I'll have the beer with Mick.

Not me. He’s an *smile*. His work at Carlton showed his true colours. It has always been all about Mick.

He knew he shouldn’t have been coaching but set Carlton a fair way back. Completely selfish motives drove him in the end.

His behaviour post pies has been terrible, all about Mick not the club.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
easy said:
Every colonwood bloke i know hated buckley until august 2018.

It was unanimous. Even the full collingwood inner sanctum aristocrats (yeah, i know pairing collinwood and aristocrat in the same sentence is like pairing peter dutton with kind) could say his name without spitting.

Now they tolerate him in silence.

What arrogance, when hes acheived zero as a coach, to return fire at malthouse.

What’s he meant to do with salty white anting him ever since he left the pies?

Buckley 10 times the man Malthouse is

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Bill James said:
Malthouse won the pies a flag with a pretty ordinary list. Buckley has bought a $$$ list for $ on the hope of success and still can't get it done.

Quite honestly they were lucky to meet GWS at the G and Richmond in the finals last year (they match our game style and players very well) or they could have gone straight out. How many teams in the 8 had they beaten before the finals, Melbourne?

Bit like Richmond this year, we are already at the bye rounds and have only beaten one in team in the 8. We need to get some players back or we are making up the numbers this year and will need to get super luck like the pies did last year.

I went to to the Pies GWS final. They were very lucky to win that with everything going there way but only won by 10 points. Although they did lose a GF by less than a kick so it was a pretty good effort

B

Bill James

MD Jazz said:
What’s he meant to do with salty white anting him ever since he left the pies?

Buckley 10 times the man Malthouse is
Possibly, but Malthouse a far better coach. Buckley had done a far better job of white anting himself than Malthouse has.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
the name 'Malthouse' may come from a place where they made beer, so does that lean it in his favour?

but for what its worth, both of them seem to have a bad smell under their nose ..

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
TigerForce said:
Complimentary by saying he and Mick "don't get on"? Mick didn't take it kindly.

He was more speaking about how he thinks Mick views him rather than how he views Mick. The media, as they do, have plucked out a couple of select quotes rather than reporting the conversation in its context.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
jb03 said:
I went to to the Pies GWS final. They were very lucky to win that with everything going there way but only won by 10 points. Although they did lose a GF by less than a kick so it was a pretty good effort

I went to it was well because the Mrs is a Pies supporter, and found that the atmosphere was pretty tame.

Agree that everything went their way but was secretly hoping the Giants got up. I remember Shiel spudding it up in that game.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
I think Mick is a genius, who else could have gotten these two sides into a Grand Final...

B: 26 Ben Johnson 14 Shane Wakelin 8 James Clement
HB: 15 Carl Steinfort 35 Simon Prestigiacomo 37 Ryan Lonie
C: 11 Shane O'Bree 5 Nathan Buckley (c) 9 Glenn Freeborn
HF: 1 Leon Davis 23 Anthony Rocca 19 Nick Davis
F: 10 Rupert Betheras 20 Chris Tarrant 25 Josh Fraser
Foll: 12 Steven McKee 17 Scott Burns 18 Paul Licuria
Int: 24 Tarkyn Lockyer 29 Heath Scotland 7 Jarrod Molloy
4 Alan Didak
Coach: Michael Malthouse

B: 26 Ben Johnson 14 Shane Wakelin 8 James Clement
HB: 39 Matthew Lokan 35 Simon Prestigiacomo 13 Richard Cole
C: 6 Brodie Holland 5 Nathan Buckley (c) 37 Ryan Lonie
HF: 11 Shane O'Bree 34 Jason Cloke 17 Scott Burns
F: 28 Ben Kinnear 38 Tristen Walker 20 Chris Tarrant
Foll: 25 Josh Fraser 2 Shane Woewodin 18 Paul Licuria
Int: 4 Alan Didak 29 Heath Scotland 22 Rhyce Shaw
1 Leon Davis
Coach: Mick Malthouse

The second side, who were actually favourites going into the game, are 85% potatoes

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Total Tiger said:
He was more speaking about how he thinks Mick views him rather than how he views Mick. The media, as they do, have plucked out a couple of select quotes rather than reporting the conversation in its context.

If Malthouse is dirty on Buckley then he's entitled to be. Buckley was offered the North job but coveted Mick's. And Mick was at the top of his game at the time. It cost Collingwood the 2011 premiership.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
If Malthouse is dirty on Buckley then he's entitled to be. Buckley was offered the North job but coveted Mick's. And Mick was at the top of his game at the time. It cost Collingwood the 2011 premiership.

And possibly more, as the 2010 premiership side was the youngest for 30 years from memory?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
T-Shirt Tommy said:
And possibly more, as the 2010 premiership side was the youngest for 30 years from memory?

Yes, since 1978. Buckley inherited a plum job but where Chris Scott won a flag and kept his club thereabouts, Buckley lost in the prelim before a downward slide.

I don't dislike Buckley and he's done well to turn it around, backed by the full resources of McGuire and Collingwood. But it's unbecoming to pretend the messy past didn't happen, or is all the fault of Malthouse.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Yes, since 1978. Buckley inherited a plum job but where Chris Scott won a flag and kept his club thereabouts, Buckley lost in the prelim before a downward slide.

I don't dislike Buckley and he's done well to turn it around, backed by the full resources of McGuire and Collingwood. But it's unbecoming to pretend the messy past didn't happen, or is all the fault of Malthouse.
.....and copying us.....

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Name one X Collingwood player, that has stated his ‘love’ playing under Buckley?
I will need 3+pages to list the players that loved playing under Malthouse.
Buckley is a flog of the highest order.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:

Malthouse agreed to the changeover so he's not entitled to sook about it.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
MD Jazz said:
Not me. He’s an . His work at Carlton showed his true colours. It has always been all about Mick.

He knew he shouldn’t have been coaching but set Carlton a fair way back. Completely selfish motives drove him in the end.

His behaviour post pies has been terrible, all about Mick not the club.
Malthouse at Carlton was really payback for Walls at Richmond. ;D