Marvel is not real football | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marvel is not real football

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
I’m sorry but football is elements, wind, rain, sun
This is artificial. I am glad I supported through the 80’s etc
We were crap, but at least the football was real

Reactions: 3 users
My main issue with it has always been location more than anything. They took away Waverley which was convenient for those of us in the east, and replaced it with a stadium on the other side of the CBD in what was then a quagmire, now a concrete jungle. It's every bit the pain in the arse to get to now as it was 23 years ago when it opened.

Reactions: 4 users
My main issue with it has always been location more than anything. They took away Waverley which was convenient for those of us in the east, and replaced it with a stadium on the other side of the CBD in what was then a quagmire, now a concrete jungle. It's every bit the pain in the arse to get to now as it was 23 years ago when it opened.
Try getting home, it's a fken odyssey.
It's too small to congested.
Richmond supporters like big open spaces.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
There is something seriously wrong with Docklands.

It isn't so much that it has no atmosphere, it seems to suck atmosphere out of the football, negative atmosphere.

You go to the MCG and there is almost a sense of occasion, despite the fact I would have seen hundreds of games there. But Docklands? No sense of occasion.

There never seems to be a heaving crowd there, even if the fans are up and about it doesn't feel like there is any excitement or anything for that matter. The life is sucked out of the crowd at that sh!!thole.

The whole thing with having to keep the roof shut is a monumental F up, how could they design a stadium and not account for where the sun will be in the afternoon? Maybe they should have had one set of goals pointing North East so the sun is in the wrong place in the morning. You know, in the morning when football is not played. Or they could try and shield the sun in the afternoon by putting up a screen or something. Mind you, the place still has little atmosphere when the roof is open.

DS

There is something seriously wrong with Docklands.

It isn't so much that it has no atmosphere, it seems to suck atmosphere out of the football, negative atmosphere.

You go to the MCG and there is almost a sense of occasion, despite the fact I would have seen hundreds of games there. But Docklands? No sense of occasion.

There never seems to be a heaving crowd there, even if the fans are up and about it doesn't feel like there is any excitement or anything for that matter. The life is sucked out of the crowd at that sh!!thole.

The whole thing with having to keep the roof shut is a monumental F up, how could they design a stadium and not account for where the sun will be in the afternoon? Maybe they should have had one set of goals pointing North East so the sun is in the wrong place in the morning. You know, in the morning when football is not played. Or they could try and shield the sun in the afternoon by putting up a screen or something. Mind you, the place still has little atmosphere when the roof is open.

DS
I went today 1st time in a very long time.
Like you have mentioned.
People don't turn up but it's hard to get in and out of the joint, it's very over crowded around the ground. It dosent make any sense.
24,000 turn up today and after the game, it was sooo slow to get out.
And No atmosphere.

So, what can we do to end this farce of being forced to play a home game at Marvel every year and play all 11 home games out of the MCG? Is there any way we can negotiate a way out of it? Put our hand up to pay a SA team in Gather Round? Let Collingwood members have their reserved seats in the Ponsford stand when we play at home to them? There has to be something…

Come on mate, not everyone lives near Waverley Park. For me as a kid, it was a 4 hour round trip. 2 trains and a bus each way. And the place was in the middle of the Melbourne rain belt. It was always wet and cold. And viewing was trash.

Marvel is garbage. Its plastic, tinny and soulless, but is far superior to Waverley Park.

So, what can we do to end this farce of being forced to play a home game at Marvel every year and play all 11 home games out of the MCG? Is there any way we can negotiate a way out of it? Put our hand up to pay a SA team in Gather Round? Let Collingwood members have their reserved seats in the Ponsford stand when we play at home to them? There has to be something…

Come on mate, not everyone lives near Waverley Park. For me as a kid, it was a 4 hour round trip. 2 trains and a bus each way. And the place was in the middle of the Melbourne rain belt. It was always wet and cold. And viewing was trash.

Marvel is garbage. Its plastic, tinny and soulless, but is far superior to Waverley Park.
Fair call.!

It's a soulless rabbit warren.

The AFL want a new stadium in Tassie but this one in Melbourne should be bulldozed.
Worse mistake they ever did was sell off VFL.
They couldve spent a fraction on what they spent on that shitholee and had a lmodernise football ground. It had the best surface.
and now VFL Park is the centre of the metropolitan area.
Massive *smile* up

This is one thing Dimma has got wrong, should never have gone so anti Docklands.

We all think it, don't say it, all it does is *smile* AFL house off and give our entire club a cop-out.

You have to play there, even against other clubs. Now we have turned every time we go there into a circus.

Reactions: 3 users
This is one thing Dimma has got wrong, should never have gone so anti Docklands.

We all think it, don't say it, all it does is *smile* AFL house off and give our entire club a cop-out.

You have to play there, even against other clubs. Now we have turned every time we go there into a circus.
Agree. Selfish talk back in 2021. We were great there even before 2017.

Hence why I said my only issue with Marvel is location... I don't think anyone could argue Waverley offered a superior experience.

Reactions: 1 user

Yes, the Skunks have to play their HG there against Norf (whose home ground it is!) later this year. But that won't worry them too much; because there's no way that they will let them win. Unlike us 2022, or GCS (anywhere).

This was inflamed by Dimma's tactless comments in the recent past; didn't he say further things in the pre-match presser? But in the post-match, he didn't want to say a thing; walked away from it. Thanks for your contribution, Dimma.

It's a lot closer to Home for us than GCS; didn't seem to worry them too much. But I sensed the umps AFL resentment in their officiating yesterday.
We have done ourselves no favours. (same size as PRO too).

PS - I dislike the place myself too but I recognise that every club has to play there sometimes. It's the AFL's love-toy they purchased, so it's only wise not to put crap on it often.

Reactions: 1 user