Marvel is not real football | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marvel is not real football

Hence why I said my only issue with Marvel is location... I don't think anyone could argue Waverley offered a superior experience.

There are 2 train stops between Richmond and Southern Cross. Its really easy to get to. How is location a problem? Unless its because Marvel is located in the overdeveloped concrete jungle suburb known as Docklands?

I went today 1st time in a very long time.
Like you have mentioned.
People don't turn up but it's hard to get in and out of the joint, it's very over crowded around the ground. It dosent make any sense.
24,000 turn up today and after the game, it was sooo slow to get out.
And No atmosphere.

Yep, took ages to get in given the crowd size and the concourse can barely deal with a small crowd. Such a hole.

Plenty wrong with Docklands, a soul-less place. Might have been another thread but someone said it was like walking out of a sunny autumn day into a dungeon, and it didn't feel much different when they used to open the roof.

VFL Park had its problems (too numerous to mention really) and did not have as much atmosphere as the MCG, but it had way more atmosphere than Docklands, despite the fact the playing area was wider than the MCG, longer than Subiaco and the fence was miles from the boundary line. In any case, it served its purpose of giving the VFL more say over the MCG.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Yep, took ages to get in given the crowd size and the concourse can barely deal with a small crowd. Such a hole.

Plenty wrong with Docklands, a soul-less place. Might have been another thread but someone said it was like walking out of a sunny autumn day into a dungeon, and it didn't feel much different when they used to open the roof.

VFL Park had its problems (too numerous to mention really) and did not have as much atmosphere as the MCG, but it had way more atmosphere than Docklands, despite the fact the playing area was wider than the MCG, longer than Subiaco and the fence was miles from the boundary line. In any case, it served its purpose of giving the VFL more say over the MCG.

DS
Spot on
Walked off the train on the concourse into bright sunshine.
But around the ground it was dark and freezing. And we were told to enter from gate 7 which was directly opposite to where we were.
I won't go again.

Reactions: 1 users
not sure why some are saying that Marvel (a crap name) is hard to get to?

Southern Cross Station is next door, and 3 different trams intersect at Bourke and Spencer St.

But yeah, it's a hole that they designed poorly. I've been there 3 times and that's it.. and I think we lost all 3.

This is one thing Dimma has got wrong, should never have gone so anti Docklands.

We all think it, don't say it, all it does is *smile* AFL house off and give our entire club a cop-out.

You have to play there, even against other clubs. Now we have turned every time we go there into a circus.
Fu9CCZXakAEIbgL.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
not sure why some are saying that Marvel (a crap name) is hard to get to?

Southern Cross Station is next door, and 3 different trams intersect at Bourke and Spencer St.

But yeah, it's a hole that they designed poorly. I've been there 3 times and that's it.. and I think we lost all 3.

Docklands is a decent location. It is more of a pain for me as I live on a train line which goes through Richmond and does not go through the loop. But that is my problem, you live on the Werribee line you would have a similar problem with Richmond.

VFL Park location was not only really bad, too far out and too much rain, but also a product of the times when it was thought a freeway could solve the problems of moving people around. 150,000 seat stadium with no railway line? No probs, next to a freeway (ditto for an airport!). It never worked, and we know better now.

I don't know how they managed to stuff up the design of that stadium, and I'm not sure what you can do about it, but the lack of atmosphere is terrible.

I think I would start with some sort of sun shade over the North side so you can open the roof. But, even with the roof open it feels too enclosed, maybe pull back some of the roofing over the stands to open things up a bit. It is a large stadium but feels almost claustrophobic and that seems to be one of the problems. Add in some more space on the concourse and also find a way to get more space for people walking from the ground to Spencer St station. There really is a feeling of claustrophobia about the place, not just the ground but also the surrounds. Even looking South or West from the ground it doesn't feel spacious and sits above roads and wasteland. Interesting idea to have a stadium for Australian Rules (one of the largest playing areas of any sport) which has a roof, but it really hasn't worked. Maybe that's why were not seeing a roofed stadium planned for Hobart.

DS