Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

We say Clarke's legacy will be determined by the 2021 Superhunks. At present he looks in the positive for late subsequent picks Green, Campbell, McAuliffe and (after a brief glimpse) Smith. And Ryan the year before.

But we can't ignore 2017/18. Higlet (when we already had The Prince, $hai, Bulter, George and Stengle), Balta and Coleman-Dud when he could conceivably have got Oscar Allen, Balta and Sam Taylor and set our talls for the next generation. (Jack was 29, Tross 28 and DTLD 26 at the time - time for forward planning. As list boss Blair must wear some of this also.)

In 2018 he could have listened to Frank and picked Bobby Hill instead of indulging his own hard-on for RCD.

How would we look now? A lot better.

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah but how do you interpret via “data” a person’s desire (or not) to go back with the flight of the ball at a pivotal moment …or commit to that front on collision when the game is on the line..or all those extra things in a game or during a pre season training spell that push them over the line ? A lot of that is not measurable.

How do you analyse by “data” if a player is a good team mate that will sacrifice their own game … or get on with their team mates ? Again, subjective interpretation that can’t be measured simply by “data”.

How, by data, do you measure the impact on team performance of all those selfless acts that Grimes, Astbury, Rance etc performed over the years ? Where does the Cotchin-Shiel incident fit into the “data” ?

This isn’t baseball which I’ve followed most of my life where scientific analysis over a period of time based solely on numeric output or production is king. Pitcher pitches. Batter hits. Data result. Great. Works in that sport. Maybe. Plenty of disasters still. Basketball too.

It’s about the balance between “data” and personal assessment of unmeasurable factors that allow a TEAM … not an individual…to succeed.
Fully agree. The recruiters spend a heap of time speaking with the kids, their parents, coaches, teachers trying to get the best handle on their personalities, what makes them tick etc..it is a bloody hard job trying to project what a kid will do footy wise years ahead.

Reactions: 1 user
As a recruiters unless you nail a Lewis with 76, Larkey with pick 72 or Castagna as a rookie pick
You shouldn't hold the job longer then 5 yrs.
Some get to comfortable and start to have there own bias in drafting and list management.

If that dud Mackie be a recruitment blow at Geelong, Edwards and Knights could do the same with us.

I want Us to get someone who is Richmond to do the job.

I want Us to get someone who is Richmond to do the job.

Sounds like you :)

Would certainly make draft night more interesting.

I can see Dillon standing up there:
"With Pick 6 Richmond pick.................................hang on what does this say................................moveslikeJagger Sniffy - who's that?"

Then:
"With Pick 12 Richmond pick......................sigh, not again what is this name, Tobie Trafalgarliglia.....................I've had enough I'm out of here, the mailman can read the rest of Richmonds picks"

The next 5 years will decide Clarke's legacy. Francis Jackson won us our 3 premierships.

We say Clarke's legacy will be determined by the 2021 Superhunks. At present he looks in the positive for late subsequent picks Green, Campbell, McAuliffe and (after a brief glimpse) Smith. And Ryan the year before.

But we can't ignore 2017/18. Higlet (when we already had The Prince, $hai, Bulter, George and Stengle), Balta and Coleman-Dud when he could conceivably have got Oscar Allen, Balta and Sam Taylor and set our talls for the next generation. (Jack was 29, Tross 28 and DTLD 26 at the time - time for forward planning. As list boss Blair must wear some of this also.)

In 2018 he could have listened to Frank and picked Bobby Hill instead of indulging his own hard-on for RCD.

How would we look now? A lot better.

The superhunks have time but are a real worry. We said at the time our rebound would depend on there output.

As someone else posted. 3 years on and only Gibcus is in best 22.

And only Gibcus that you could put your left one will be a long term best 22 player. Let alone top 8 B&F and game changer which is what we needed.

Thy aren't write-offs, but equally still have it all to do. Big year coming up all of them to show genuine improvement.

Clarke's legacy depends on it - Unless he can absolutely shoot the lights out with late picks.

FWIW - Leysy is keen on a number of Clarke's other selections. But has little faith in the Hunks.

Reactions: 5 users
Fully agree. The recruiters spend a heap of time speaking with the kids, their parents, coaches, teachers trying to get the best handle on their personalities, what makes them tick etc..it is a bloody hard job trying to project what a kid will do footy wise years ahead.
Yep. Agree.

The superhunks have time but are a real worry. We said at the time our rebound would depend on there output.

And only Gibcus that you could put your left one will be a long term best 22 player. Let alone top 8 B&F and game changer which is what we needed.

Thy aren't write-offs, but equally still have it all to do. Big year coming up all of them to show genuine improvement.

Clarke's legacy depends on it - Unless he can absolutely shoot the lights out with late picks.

FWIW - Leysy is keen on a number of Clarke's other selections. But has little faith in the Hunks.
I am a big Juddy Clarke fan. Not as big a Sonz fan as I was initially, but still think he can make it. I'm still backing Brown. Banks I have doubts about. The fact is none of those four are going to take over a game, but they can be good players in a good team. Maybe this year we draft our next stars?

Yeah but how do you interpret via “data” a person’s desire (or not) to go back with the flight of the ball at a pivotal moment …or commit to that front on collision when the game is on the line..or all those extra things in a game or during a pre season training spell that push them over the line ? A lot of that is not measurable.

How do you analyse by “data” if a player is a good team mate that will sacrifice their own game … or get on with their team mates ? Again, subjective interpretation that can’t be measured simply by “data”.

How, by data, do you measure the impact on team performance of all those selfless acts that Grimes, Astbury, Rance etc performed over the years ? Where does the Cotchin-Shiel incident fit into the “data” ?

This isn’t baseball which I’ve followed most of my life where scientific analysis over a period of time based solely on numeric output or production is king. Pitcher pitches. Batter hits. Data result. Great. Works in that sport. Maybe. Plenty of disasters still. Basketball too.

It’s about the balance between “data” and personal assessment of unmeasurable factors that allow a TEAM … not an individual…to succeed.
The data also can't tell you whether a kid's high kicking efficiency % is because he's conservative with the ball, or another's is lower because he takes on the bold, game-ripper. Are his disposal and metres gained numbers padded by taking kick-outs and running 30 metres before kicking long to a contest 11 times a game?

Reactions: 1 users

Of the five, yes Gibcus looks the only one at this stage to be a genuinely impactful player over the long haul - if he stays healthy. However, there’s still time for the others.

Banks I don’t really consider much chop and thought that was an average selection by Clarke. He fell for all of Armstrong’s spruiking of him, great leader blah blah blah and Banks’ own networking and relationship savvy. So I’ve never had a mindset that Banks would be a long term best 22 player. Nice kick - when he has time standing way on the outside - but otherwise not much else going for him. But the others have a deeper skill set and could still be pretty valuable. But yeah they’re gonna have to get going a bit this year and next.

Reactions: 2 users
Of the five, yes Gibcus looks the only one at this stage to be a genuinely impactful player over the long haul - if he stays healthy. However, there’s still time for the others.

Banks I don’t really consider much chop and thought that was an average selection by Clarke. He fell for all of Armstrong’s spruiking of him, great leader blah blah blah and Banks’ own networking and relationship savvy. So I’ve never had a mindset that Banks would be a long term best 22 player. Nice kick - when he has time standing way on the outside - but otherwise not much else going for him. But the others have a deeper skill set and could still be pretty valuable. But yeah they’re gonna have to get going a bit this year and next.
I wouldn't expect us to find many match winners with picks in the 20s. Not saying it's not going to happen - we got Bolton back that far, but the likelihood of a match winner being at pick 29 is pretty low. I think people have an unrealistic expectation of what we're getting from that group. I'd hope we get one All Aussie style candidate, 3 other regular 22 players at best and statistically speak, 1 is going to be delisted without much impact at least.

We need to get some players up around the top 5, somehow, or hire the godfather to entice free agents who can turn games

how does Tom Brown's game vary from a player such as Riley Bonner who could have been picked up for free this season? Still scratching my head as to why a first round pick was used for him.

Reactions: 1 users
how does Tom Brown's game vary from a player such as Riley Bonner who could have been picked up for free this season? Still scratching my head as to why a first round pick was used for him.
Picks under 20 have to be a combination of some of these, a Ball winner, a Great mark, good speed, leadership, courage, durability and hunger

Clarke has stuck to kids that have needed a shiit load of development or project Picks.
That 2017 draft is as bad a the Tambling draft in my eyes.
3 picks under 30. We missed Allen, Taylor Dekong, Daniels even Ryan.
The only 1we have is fortnightly Balta.

Where's the packbusters... Hooganband?

Come on mann
5 picks in 30. Besides Gibcus the rest we are still waiting.
The decision not to draft a replacement for Riewoldt with Hooganband still there at our pick is a massive mistake.
The trade away of our 1st pick to Geelong when they used it to get Holmes is embarrassing.
Not all good players are 1st or 2nd rounders.
2016 pick 73 Larky pick 78 Mitchell Lewis.

Too many selections on PROJECT players.
Pussy-cat Talls Griffens, Miller, Samson, Coleman Jones all the same.

You might not be happy he has Gome, I'm rapt.
We didn't need to bottom out, we had picks in 17. Wasted them on Higgins and Coleman Jones.
Zips, I’m worried about your posting rate. You’re like Henry Miller behind the typewriter at the cosmodemonic telegraph co and heading for burnout before the season even gets going.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Liam Baker. Noah Balta. Josh Gibcus.

Marlion Pickett. Who else we got?

What's the Clarke legacy at this moment?

Zips, I’m worried about your posting rate. You’re like Henry Miller behind the typewriter at the cosmodemonic telegraph co and heading for burnout before the season even gets going.
And I thought I was Zipper's biggest fan, fb!