Matty Richardson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matty Richardson

Is next week Richos last game for the Yellow and Black.

• Yes

Votes: 39 97.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
Well said Julz.
I'm sick of this whole Richo debate. It's been going on for too damn long now.
He's not the problem. And besides, can anyone actually see Richo letting himself to be traded? Fat chance. I don't think he'd have any desire to play for another club other than richmond.

Hey Richo,s girl, do you actually go to the football ?
What Redford posted is actually true, if people go the games they will see that unfortunately Richo does get caught with the footy,his kicking has got worth (if thats possible ) and his second efforts, well there isnt any.
I know that the coaching staff are at there "Wits end " with all of this and so should the supporters, or do all of you like loosing, one win in past 12 games, great effort.
I love Richo as a player but unfortunately the team probably needs a change of personal.
The team was in good form earlier in the year when he wasnt playing, they actually used the ball better and picked out better options.
Not Mattys fault but they rely too much on him , thats something you will not change.
Question is do you get rid of 1 player or get rid of the other 17 on the ground .?
I think Matty Richardson will get traded.

If Greg Millar is pumping up Spud's tyres I hope he has a powerful compressor and not a bike pump cos' his arms would be just about falling off with all the pumping. I think he has slightly more than a 'slow leak'.

jackstar said:
Hey Richo,s girl, do you actually go to the football ?
What Redford posted is actually true, if people go the games they will see that unfortunately Richo does get caught with the footy,his kicking has got worth (if thats possible ) and his second efforts, well there isnt any.
I know that the coaching staff are at there "Wits end " with all of this and so should the supporters, or do all of you like loosing, one win in past 12 games, great effort.
I love Richo as a player but unfortunately the team probably needs a change of personal.
The team was in good form earlier in the year when he wasnt playing, they actually used the ball better and picked out better options.
Not Mattys fault but they rely too much on him , thats something you will not change.
Question is do you get rid of 1 player or get rid of the other 17 on the ground .?
I think Matty Richardson will get traded.

Hey Jackster, do YOU go to the football?????

From what i see, if Richo has lost leg speed, then he must have been running the 100 in a tick under 10 seconds at some point.

He gets caught because he ALWAYS has to stop to collect the crap delivery. He is never able to run onto a well weighted kick. Have YOU never noticed this????

If you are talking about him being caught in ground play, i'm sorry sunshine, but i can't remember him getting run down from behind. He gets caught when he tries to turn. This is innevitable as his balancing point is high. What he needs is players running in support so he can feed off in these situations.

What I'VE seen is a player who bleeds for the club, refusing to leave the ground straight after having his cheekbone smashed?

He then fronts up after just a weeks break with the same injury. Had he been able to see out of that eye, i bet he wouldn't have missed a game.

Call him a girl all you want. Anyone remember Fraser Gehrig deciding to grab Richo in a headlock in his return game with the cheek bone injury. Fraser is supposed to be in Richo's words a monster.

It took Richo only a few seconds to have Fraser Gehrig pinned my the neck to the MCG turf with a warning fist hovering above his ugly mug.

The guy runs and presents harder than any player we have. He cops the blame week in week out no matter how well he goes.

Against Essendon he picked up 28 possessions yet the headlines read "The Richo Delima" with the comments that he didn't get his possessions where they count!!!!!

What if we said the same for Kouta?? After all, that's the role Richo was playing, and he played it well. He drove the ball forward but now we find that he's expected to be at the end of his own kicks as well.

Imagine if Richo got the delivery you saw Warren Tredrea receiving yesterday - SERIOUSLY, IMAGINE IT!!

He has his faults, but i will take them with the whole package any day!

God help us all if he goes to a team where his team mates are actually capable of accurate delivery.

The saddest thing is that Richmond supporters are at each others throats because of the frustration of a game plan/coach that is so negative that soccer teams score more goals than us.

Next we'll be throwing darts at each other.

nwonash said:
I cant believe we still ask this question.

The idea of trading Richardson originally from Tony Shaw. A person who knows nothing about football. Look at what he did at Collingwood.

Why would be want to trade a superstar ?

If Richardson was to be traded, I would stop going to the footy.

The worst thing to note here, nwonash is that we are coached by Tony Shaw's apprentice. Need we say more.

PS - thanks Alleycat!

Well written frickenel.

Spot on - put Richo in a side with players who can actually deliver the footy and run in support, and then read the headlines on a Monday..........I would be whinging too if I played with the current duds under the king Dud himself!!!

If Frawely stays Richo must be traded..........Richo's return under Frawely is nowhere near good enough for a key forward................also Frawely cannot control Richo's tantrums and outbursts towards his teamates.

If we truly want to re-build as the club is stating it will do, then you must trade a 28 year old with currency that has grossly underperformed................however RFC have no clear direction at the moment in that the club has stated that the list will be severly turned over yet there is no long term commitment to a coach.

Hey Frickenel (I've gotta stop saying yr name out loud as I'm copping heaps!) but that was a great post. Life would be dull without Richo!
And you have answered the question I asked in 3 posts about Gehrig & Richo as the Saint fans were laughing on their site about Gehrig monstering Richo & how scared Richo was...which I couldn't believe as he has stood up to lots during his career. They (Saints) also laughed about FG decking McGrath twice. Ferals, all of 'em!!!!

Hey Frickenel (I've gotta stop saying yr name out loud as I'm copping heaps!) but that was a great post. Life would be dull without Richo!
And you have answered the question I asked in 3 posts about Gehrig & Richo as the Saint fans were laughing on their site about Gehrig monstering Richo & how scared Richo was...which I couldn't believe as he has stood up to lots during his career. They (Saints) also laughed about FG decking McGrath twice. Ferals, all of 'em!!!!

Completely agrre. Keep Richo at the club and in the next 2 years we will see some results from him and the new team.

[

Imagine if Richo got the delivery you saw Warren Tredrea receiving yesterday - SERIOUSLY, IMAGINE IT!!

Yes I am imagining it Frickenel and unfortunately I see him spraying shots from 30 metres. The best delivery in the world wont fix that.

I think we need to think with our heads not our hearts where Richo is concerned.

I'll hate seeing him at another club as much as anyone but it may be inevitable if we are going to get the early draft picks we so desperately need.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Macca. great post, you are never going to fix his kicking.
you are what you are unfortunatley.
His attitude isnt real flash either.

[quote author=Macca68

Yes I am imagining it Frickenel and unfortunately I see him spraying shots from 30 metres. The best delivery in the world wont fix that.

I think we need to think with our heads not our hearts where Richo is concerned.

I'll hate seeing him at another club as much as anyone but it may be inevitable if we are going to get the early draft picks we so desperately need.

Short term pain for long term gain.

Stop imagining and start thinking.

How good a kick was Warren Tredrea when he started out???

About as effective as Richo in the last few seasons, yet now his kicking is good.

Now do some research on Richo.

In the local comp. in Tassie prior to his AFL days, his accuracy was better than good. It was very good.

Under the AFL spotlight it turned crap ie 1993 and particularly 1994. However we not only straightened him out through help from Michael Roach, but he was actually quite accurate.

1995 = 27 goals and just 3 behinds
1996 = 91 goals and 46 behinds

a conversion rate of 70.65% - extremely high!!!

The problem is, we obviously have the WRONG people helping him now.

The FACT is that it's ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE to teach a player to average more marks than anyone else in the competition - and to absolutely STREAK the rest of the field in contested marks. He's taken more of these than anyone despite the games his missed.

A player either has this marking ability, or hasn't - it's not taught.

You however CAN teach a player to KICK STRAIGHT, particularly if (Like in Richo's case), he's a good kick when not shooting for goal. HE IS SKILLED, just not when shooting for goal.

By trading Richo, we are proving ourselves as a club defficient in player development, and frankly this wouldn't be new news to me because we see it in so many other areas. Richo might be 28, but with his agility and size, could play to 35.

That means that any draft pick we get HAS to give us at least 7 years of service as a BLOODY GOOD PLAYER. Not many players give this much service, and as far as quality big men go, they definitely do not fall off trees. They are 3 times more scarce than quality small men.

As Tony Jewell said during an interview on Sunday (either 3AW or Triple M) - you don't trade a champion simply because of the clubs inability to manage him.

I was talking to Michael Roach during one of the mid-season games (i think Carlton), and asked him whether he had any input to Richo's kicking anymore?

Roach basically said that he used to, but that 5 or 6 years back when the admin changed, they basically stopped using him.

If we had Roach work with Richo again, it's probably the easiest way to add 3 goals to our score each week. I'd also probably use a sports psychologist as his technique only breaks down in front goal (the yips)

His real problems have started after the broken foot, though i don't think the injury itself has anything to do with it. Simply, having had a break from kicking a football, he's come back with a change in his goal kicking technique which is indicative of poor body mechanics under goal kicking pressure. Much like a golfer tightening up over a putt.

I don't want to sound like a smart (_(_), but Richo's kicking problems are easy to decipher - and look at what i'm saying, get a football and do some experimentation of your own if you doubt it.

And this stuff is NOT from Roach, it's my opinion from what i see. You can disagree if you like, but i know i'm right. It's THAT obvious.

The clues are these:

He's lost penetration - distance since the foot injury a few years back.
He's kicking the ball a lot higher since the same injury.
He doesn't run straight at the target from over 45m,and drops the ball at an angle, (as much as 20 degrees) - bottom of ball angling out.
Drops the ball from outside his kicking leg from 45 + out.
His misses are almost always to the right of the target.
He also drops it from too high.
He kicks a lot of helicopters.

The hook tendancies ie running wide, and dropping the ball at an angle are symptoms of a greater problem. I suspect that whoever is coaching him is trying to correct THIS problem. But this isn't really the problem, it's only a symptom of a greater problem. In essence, they mask the real fault.

The real clue is his lack of penetration and how high his kicks are going.

THE FAULT IS HE DROPS THE BALL TOO FAR FROM HIS BODY WITH FAIRLY RIGID OR TIGHT ARMS - hence, loss of distance, and increased height. This tendancy gets worse as his confidence gets worse.

It's more body mechanics under pressure (ie the golfer tightening up over a putt), than technique.

It also means that the hand guiding the ball to boot is further from the body (obviously). The further your hands are from your eyes, the less co-ordination you have. So from this one thing we have less penetration by striking the ball too far through the arc of the leg, and less ability to deliver the ball to boot accurately.

If he dropped the ball closer to his body and (and this will sound stupid, but it works), allowed movement in his elbow, ie in the kicking action, bend it slightly, allowing the ball to rise before gravity takes over, taking it down - he'd have his penetration back which would stop this stupid hook action - which is a symtom of the fact that Richo himself knows he's not kicking as far as he used too.

Any player will start to kick with a hooking action when going for extra distance, but this is only a symptom that's come after the problem.

Any player that forces a ball to boot quicker than gravity takes it down will loose consistency. This is why players kicking under pressure muff it. They rush it to boot, don't allow the natural rise, pause as gravity kicks in, then fall to happen.

Sounds confusing, watch REAL carefull as players do their kick to kick drills in the pre-game warm ups. I mean watch the actual ball. Under pressure, players start to force it. Even our players hit targets during the drills.

During a game though - hmmmmmmmm.

Before anyone condemns me as a smart (_(_) , just get a ball and try it out.

1995 = 27 goals and just 3 behinds
1996 = 91 goals and 46 behinds

not many centre half-forwards kick 91 goals for the year. and in 95 before he went down he was one of the reasons why we started so good.
his delivery is poor and thats whats ruining him(that and the bad kicking but that can be fixed easy). the only reason why lloyds any good is cos he gets the ball given to him laces out 8 times out of 10. richo might get it once out of 10 if he lucky.
Just look at the delivery given to zantuck on sunday, right on his chest and he gets 5 goals for his first time an the forward line all year.
if richo was given delivery like that every week, there would be no talk of trading him and hed be branded as an absolute superstar of the competition and all-australian contender.

Frickenel you have hit on something here. Dermie has been saying the same thing for years.

It is to late to change Richo's kicking style now and as you rightly pointed out he did alright with it in the past.

So why all this rubbish trying to straighten him up and force him into an unatural action.

Woudl be much better just working with what comes naturally and using that rather than fighting against it.

Makes good sense to me Im afraid.

As much as it would disappoint me to see him go, I believe that the Tigers would have to seriously consider the right offer (say the number 1 or number 2 draft pick) for Richo.

The reasons behind this are:

- He will be 29 by the start of next season.
- He is injury prone (we have been lucky with his good run of injuries this year - based on his injury history, he probably has about 50 AFL games left in him).
- He doesn't hurt opposition clubs on the scoreboard.

I remember back in the early 90's when the Tigers traded Jeff Hogg. I was disgusted at the time the way that the Tigers could trade a player as honest as Hoggy was and someone who bled yellow and black for the club. However as it turned out, it was one of the best deals that the Tigers ever made because out of it we received Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Dundas and Hoggy was finished by the time he got to Fitzroy.

Losing Richo could be a short term loss but if the right deal came up we could be in a position to unearth a champion of the future or even two long term quality key position players for the Tigers.

Young Tiger said:
As much as it would disappoint me to see him go, I believe that the Tigers would have to seriously consider the right offer (say the number 1 or number 2 draft pick) for Richo.

The reasons behind this are:

- He will be 29 by the start of next season.
- He is injury prone (we have been lucky with his good run of injuries this year - based on his injury history, he probably has about 50 AFL games left in him).
- He doesn't hurt opposition clubs on the scoreboard.

I remember back in the early 90's when the Tigers traded Jeff Hogg. I was disgusted at the time the way that the Tigers could trade a player as honest as Hoggy was and someone who bled yellow and black for the club. However as it turned out, it was one of the best deals that the Tigers ever made because out of it we received Paul Broderick, Michael Gale and Dundas and Hoggy was finished by the time he got to Fitzroy.

Losing Richo could be a short term loss but if the right deal came up we could be in a position to unearth a champion of the future or even two long term quality key position players for the Tigers.

YT again I agree with all you have said, the only thing that worries me is with our record, what would we do, trade for a first round draft pick, and pick another Pettifer, orchestrate a trade for another HUDSON. I would hope that any of these scenarios would be highly unlikely, but our track record speaks for itself really.