Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
The VFL have a bye this weekend, before the last game of the year. No time to "retool". He has to play this week, and then consider if need be the following.

Dayemm. Forgot about that, Brodders. Yeah. Might be too late.

Edwards will probably just come in I reckon possibly as the sub

Oh, yeah, wiggly. Bit of pressure on. Stack might be pressing too.

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Simon Wallace posted an interesting tweet.

Attachments

• 3CBFC4D4-56AB-4913-AE7A-4BDB35EFEE78.jpeg
    3CBFC4D4-56AB-4913-AE7A-4BDB35EFEE78.jpeg
    329.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne

Taking it one step further, the best way to judge the value of a player's pressure is looking at if it causes turnovers from the opposition, and measuring pressure act effectiveness based on the score by a team generated by a player's pressure. It's here, that Richmond young gun Maurice Rioli dominates.

The excitement machine has only played 12 matches this season, but from those 12, he has forced 46 turnovers, which resulted in a whopping 106 points created for his side.
To put that into perspective, Brisbane's Lincoln McCarthy has generated 99 points for the Lions from his pressure acts, but he has played eight more matches than the aforementioned Tiger.
Screenshot 2022-08-11 at 12-53-53 The Deep Dive The AFL's pressure beasts.png

Lynch in the top 10!

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 7 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm not sure why some people are questioning MJ's worth to the side. IMO he's a lock.
I see what Jack's saying about it being better for MoJu's development if we could have given him a few more VFA games, but the A's definitely need him in.

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
My take was that MoJu was promoted on the back of Edwards missing, CT. But, as you say, maybe that's not right. My lament is that MoJu has missed the easy kills we had lined up for him. And the confidence and experience boost.

A month ago sent him to the Magoos to work on "creativity with the ball". He got one game against North and was very, very quiet for the first half. Probably on the back of his foregoing personal leave entitlements that week IMO. All fair enough. But he didn't get the development into him.

Nankervis played against Norfs having been scanned for PCL damage and electing to play. He was unmercifully flogged. Because IMO he was injured but playing. Lynch injured.

The next week against Freo we had to play Nankervis because no Lynch (injured). We knew that he wouldn't jump all game. I assumed because PCL. So we played Nank forward and Soldo did all the jumping.

If Nankervis in peak form plays #1 forward the ball is going to come out real hard because he will play shallow too often and still won't catch it. If he's got wobbly knee it's going to come out harder. Big trouble looming in the Freo game.

Further to that the Levi's Dockers have a fleet of running backs that set them up for a lot of their hurt. The Freo game looks as wobbly as Nank's knee did that day.

In the stands I was praying that MoJU would be sub and nobody was surprised when Dimma rorted the rule and brought MoJu on. It wasn't quite enough to get us over the line but it helped.

MoJu missed a second straight week of "creativity with the ball" development. Planned development.

Used as sub again the next week against he got it three times. Missed development. But he did get it twelve times against Port and had many almost moments.

Maybe we think we can level him up anyway. He got close last week. We'll see.

On the question of who might come into the side, CT, I read that you went to the VFA on the weekend. Who do you reckon might be close? :D
Agree with all of that.

It was supposed to be a development year for junior.

It might be a premiership year instead.

What's the Rioli rule? Second year's a flag?

As for who comes in - the seconds had bullants bye last week, and a real one this week. No exposed form means no changes.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Agree with all of that.

It was supposed to be a development year for junior.

It might be a premiership year instead.

What's the Rioli rule? Second year's a flag?

As for who comes in - the seconds had bullants bye last week, and a real one this week. No exposed form means no changes.
He might get a confidence boost today, CT. Just the tonic for a finals campaign. Totally agree on the bye last week.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Looking forward to Moju laying a full speed thumping tackle on Sicily today

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Pretty good first half by Jnr but you felt towards the end of half he was gazed, but gee he makes defenders panic.

His closing speed is …

Smile even better!

Keep it up in the second half Maurice. Special talent.

Attachments

• 1E5A8E50-790B-467D-B6C2-6C2A69895C0A.jpeg
    1E5A8E50-790B-467D-B6C2-6C2A69895C0A.jpeg
    83.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 3 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
He's got the Hawks defence hearing his footsteps even when he's on the bench.

Kid is made for finals footy

• Love
Reactions: 3 users