MCG surface | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MCG surface

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Only caught the tail end of it on radio this morning, but they seemed to be suggesting there might be a few problems with it ?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Only caught the tail end of it on radio this morning, but they seemed to be suggesting there might be a few problems with it ?

Yeah more than 200,000 Ranga fans in 2 days has stuffed the surface apparently. They've been madly trying to replace the damaged sections, but it takes more than a week to knit in new turf.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah more than 200,000 Ranga fans in 2 days has stuffed the surface apparently. They've been madly trying to replace the damaged sections, but it takes more than a week to knit in new turf.
If that’s right, then given the focus on player welfare and safety the last few years, it would be completely reckless and just absolute amateur hour by the MCC.

Anyway, I haven’t seen it so maybe it’ll be ok. Think there was supposed to be some media report or something issued later today ?

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
1678758298828.png

This is what it looked like a week or so ago.

AFL tenant clubs have been shafted by the MCC.

No way that surface is going to be safe on Thursday night.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Any word on how the ground is looking?

I peered through the glass doors and into the bowels of the MCG today and a vast majority of the turf has been relayed. You could still make make out the lines of where turfed was joined.
Only plus is perfect sunny weather so conditions couldn't be better for ground preparation but not ideal.

Last edited:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Sort of looks ok I guess. Bit hard to tell if the seams have knitted ok ?
That will be the kicker, if someone changes direction on the "knitted" connection between squares and it shifts underfoot.

I'm dubious that you can produce an A-grade surface in a week.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
That will be the kicker, if someone changes direction on the "knitted" connection between squares and it shifts underfoot.

Leaving it all a bit late you’d think…

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Same here. Just hope we don't get any injuries now as it's been dry for some time.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
I peered through the glass doors and into the bowls of the MCG today and a vast majority of the turf has been relayed. You could still make make out the lines of where turfed was joined.
Only plus is perfect sunny weather so conditions couldn't be better for ground preparation but not ideal.
At one stage a few years back - they used big banks of UV lights that travelled across the ground on wheels
Dunno whether they are adding extra hours of “ sunlight” with them.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
At one stage a few years back - they used big banks of UV lights that travelled across the ground on wheels
Dunno whether they are adding extra hours of “ sunlight” with them.
They still use them all the time I believe.
Make that .... they still use them regularly!

Reactions: 1 users