Round 1 Team Predictions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Round 1 Team Predictions

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Ok, we are almost 48 hours away from naming our first team of the year.

From what we can tell, Gibcus, Tarrant and Short are confirmed non-starters. Prestia, Ross, Graham and Pickett seem to be available.

So what will the team look like?

My guess:

B: Vlastuin Miller Grimes
HB: Baker Balta D Rioli
C: McIntosh Hopper Clarke
HF: Bolton Lynch Martin
F: M Rioli Ryan Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Taranto Prestia
I/C: Cotchin Broad Cumberland Ross
Sub: Pickett

I'm going with Miller to play back instead of Young. I think Young is a risk too great on such a big occasion particularly given his practice matches and tendency to give away free kicks.

I've got Ryan playing and he and Miller can provide ruck support depending on matchups forward and back. I've got Broad on the bench to support the defence, particulaly if Miller goes into the ruck.

I've got Cotchin starting on the bench but can rotate through midfield and forward for relief. I've gone with Ross over Graham as I suspect he will have a lot more match fitness, despite his knee. No doubt playing Ross is a risk. Sonsie is also an option but could perhaps be underdone. Hugo another option but I'm not sure he's done enough through the practice games.

I'm choosing Marlion as sub. He's missed a lot of training from all reports and perhaps couldn't run out a game but reckon he would be very impactful coming on in the 2nd half and can play inside/outside/forward/back as needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Ok, we are almost 48 hours away from naming our first team of the year.

From what we can tell, Gibcus, Tarrant and Short are confirmed non-starters. Prestia, Ross, Graham and Pickett seem to be available.

So what will the team look like?

My guess:

C: McIntosh Hopper Clarke
F: M Rioli Ryan Riewoldt
R: Nankervis Hopper Prestia
I/C: Cotchin Broad Cumberland Ross
Sub: Pickett

I'm going with Miller to play back instead of Young. I think Young is a risk too great on such a big occasion particularly given his practice matches and tendency to give away free kicks.

I've got Ryan playing and he and Miller can provide ruck support depending on matchups forward and back. I've got Broad on the bench to support the defence, particulaly if Miller goes into the ruck.

I've got Cotchin starting on the bench but can rotate through midfield and forward for relief. I've gone with Ross over Graham as I suspect he will have a lot more match fitness, despite his knee. No doubt playing Ross is a risk. Sonsie is also an option but could perhaps be underdone. Hugo another option but I'm not sure he's done enough through the practice games.

I'm choosing Marlion as sub. He's missed a lot of training from all reports and perhaps couldn't run out a game but reckon he would be very impactful coming on in the 2nd half and can play inside/outside/forward/back as needed.
If Pickett is declared fit he starts on the wing. Clarke misses out and Sonsie is the sub.

Reactions: 1 users
Would like to see Clarke in there some how Aces. Bit worried the team looks slow enough without him in it.
I agree but who does he replace? I don’t think he is anywhere near ready for a spot on the wing.

At this stage it’s a half forward role. The kid will get games and will be a gem but I just don’t whom he replaces in that forward line. Maybe Cumberland?

Hooch loves giving those who have done the job for him in the past first crack at it.

I agree but who does he replace? I don’t think he is anywhere near ready for a spot on the wing.

At this stage it’s a half forward role. The kid will get games and will be a gem but I just don’t whom he replaces in that forward line. Maybe Cumberland?

Hooch loves giving those who have done the job for him in the past first crack at it.
C: McIntosh Hopper Pickett
F: M Rioli Riewoldt Clarke
I/C: Cotchin Broad Cumberland Sampson
Sub: Young

Reactions: 3 users
Like to see all of these players selected but not so sure about some of the positioning.

Looks to be close to our tallest ever?

Young as sub? Interesting. Insurance?

Young as sub? Interesting. Insurance?
Yes. If we can’t take a grab up forward or there’s an injury up there …or Sampson is spudding it up as a second ruck/resting forward then move Miller to the forward line or ruck. Young takes over down back.

Although Broady is a bit of a shag on a rock in that case so you could put somebody else in as sub and/or have Broady start down back and Miller on the bench of 4.

Carlton forward line might be a bit small outside of Curnow and Mackay (Martin, Fisher, Owies, Motlop, Durdin etc) so maybe Mansell or Short on the bench of 4 and Cumbo moves to sub.

Think a lot will depend on what the intel says Carlton are throwing out there.

Last edited:
Yes. If we can’t take a grab up forward or there’s an injury up there …or Sampson is spudding it up as a second ruck/resting forward then move Miller to the forward line or ruck. Young takes over down back.

Although Broady is a bit of a shag on a rock in that case so you could put somebody else in as sub and/or have Broady start down back and Miller on the bench of 4.

Carlton forward line might be a bit small outside of Curnow and Mackay (Martin, Fisher, Owies, Motlop, Durdin etc) so maybe Mansell or Short on the bench of 4 and Cumbo moves to sub.

Think a lot will depend on what the intel says Carlton are throwing out there.
I think every team will go with a runner as the sub

Carlton also have De Koning up forward.

I am thinking Grimes to Curnow, Balta to McKay and Miller or Young on De Koning.

I think every team will go with a runner as the sub

Carlton also have De Koning up forward.

I am thinking Grimes to Curnow, Balta to McKay and Miller or Young on De Koning.
De Koning played mostly in the ruck from the 2 practice games I saw.

Reactions: 1 user
Thought it was churlish of Voss on 360 when he said he didn't care how many seasons Dimma had coached.
Voss is still emotionally immature.
Blues plummeted faster than a Chinese balloon last year.
Won the first eight of 10, were third, then only won another four games.

B: Grimes Balta Vlastuin
HB: D.Rioli Broad Baker
C: McIntosh Prestia Ross
HF: Cotchin Martin Bolton
F: Riewoldt Lynch M.Rioli
FOLL: Nankervis, Hopper, Taranto
INTER: Graham, Clarke, Cumberland, Miller
SUB: Sonsie
EMERG: Young, Ryan, Dow

B: McGovern Weitering Newman
HB: Docherty Young Saad
C: Acres Cripps Cerra
HF: Silvagni C.Curnow Fisher
F: Motlop McKay C.Durdin
FOLL: Pittonet, Hewett, Kennedy
INTER: Owies, de Koning, Hollands, Cowan
SUB: Martin
EMERG: O'Brien, E.Curnow, Plowman

Reactions: 1 user
I've got a bad feeling about this week. I hope I'm wrong.

The only thing that gives me hope is that they have more injuries than us.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm predominantly worried about our speed.
There's a reason the Blues have brought in fresh legs.
It’s seems from the outside there’s a number of conundrums, or questions.

As people have noted, if we’re a bit too old and slowish to play that old, frenetic, hard running game style now, then what actually is the game style ?

We also seem to have positional issues eg what do we do with Short ? Where does he play ? Then there’s the forward line…clearly the club recognised v Melbourne that we can’t fit all of Martin, Riewoldt, Lynch, Cumbo and Cotchin in it (too slow-non defensive), so what’s the structure ? Now, we’re trialling Mansell down there at the 11th hour ?

Who’s the second ruck to Nank ? Is it Sampson ? Miller ? Who is it ? Sampson played up forward in both practice matches and Miller only played in one, so what are we doing in this space ?

There’s as many question marks and “if this happens then such and such” as last year.

Be interesting to see how it all falls. Think it might take a few rounds for us to get settled.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users