Michael Roach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Michael Roach

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Recent article about the Fevola/Brown, Roach/Taylor comparisons has rekindled my memories of this champion full forward.

Here's a couple of good quality classic Roach pics that I snaffled from the RFC site.

roachkickuse.jpg

Copybook. Disco's trademark kicking action.

roachmark.jpg

Top of the world. The famous 1979 mark against Hawthorn (KB in front).

ILUVDISCO

Tiger Rookie
Oct 20, 2009
I'll never forget the day he took that mark. I was only a young bloke and it seemed like he jumped higher than the second tier of the stand. I remember everyone around where we were sitting, instead of going off, just standing and applauding as if in awe of what they had just seen. GOD I LUV DISCO.

Hayfever

Tiger Champion
Apr 12, 2005
The only thing that undersells that mark is the fact the ball was only waist high when he marked it. If it was above his head and his arms were outstretched then it definitely would have been the best ever.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I never understood how he leaped that high considering Kel Moore's stretching his arms and shoulders up.

Gordietiger

The Rolls Royce!
Apr 14, 2004
TigerForce said:
I never understood how he leaped that high considering Kel Moore's stretching his arms and shoulders up.
Whats more --Kel Moore was man mountain--and his knee is almost in Moores outstreched hand!!
Was lucky enough to be there!!

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Gordietiger said:
Whats more --Kel Moore was man mountain--and his knee is almost in Moores outstreched hand!!
Was lucky enough to be there!!

The player in front is Terry Moore (ruckman). Kelvin is coming in from the side.

Was there also. The mark was taken midway through the first quarter, with Roach keeping us in the game before Hawthorn gave us a flogging.

Nov 23, 2004
roachy was my idol as a kid, i remember we used to ride our bike's past his house which was between coppin st and mary st,
just in the shadows of st ignatius. every now and again we would catch him out the front of his house.

we would all roar rrrroooaacccchhhyyy and he'd give us a wave or a laugh what a champ my first true football hero

snaps truly

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2008
Hobart
Tigers of Old said:
Recent article about the Fevola/Brown, Roach/Taylor comparisons has rekindled my memories of this champion full forward.

Can you add a link to this article please Too? Missed it
found it, good article

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
mopsy fraser said:
i also had a duffel coat with MICHAEL on the back.
ROACH

Had the same and it had the names of the 1980 grand final team down the sleeves too. I'd love to have kept it and given it to my kids. The things we chuck out....

Pickers35

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2008
MELBOURNE
Just watching some old action of Roachy and was amazed by his athletic ability,he kicked a few goals around his body from second efforts after marking contests and that spring to take those huge marks.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Roach was very quick for his size. Once at Waverley he sprinted past two Footscray defenders, scooped up the ball near the boundary, sold the dummy superbly and drilled the goal from 40m on the tightest of angles. All the while Bartlett was screaming for the ball, arms raised, 20m out dead in front and completely unguarded. Not happy, was KB.