Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

Well if he goes into midfield he’s not having much impact , he’s avg 9p a game ,,,a big no thanks , we need a kpp big time
Yer but it's harder to find a KPF who can really step up from the secondary leagues. I'm not watching the Skunks' VFL team but I presume that journo was saying he can play midfield in bursts and supposedly be an effective ground-ball player as well as good in the air. Lefau has come along but the likes of MRJ or Mansell are not much of an aerial threat.

Anyway, there's plenty of choices and we have options ... but need to find some gold or silver at least. Injuries have exposed the holes in the list.

If I was North I'd be doubly interested in Nour now. For sure they'd sense shenanigans.

Pickett will get 100 games. Thats a massive success in a mid season draft.

If you draft Lachie Wilson at 26yo and get 50 games its a win.
Majority of picks will be delisted with less than a handful.

I see a real divide in VFL teams this year. Werribee, Willy, Port all looking to be solid teams and building sides around mature age (24+) players. Whilst we have a few mature agers Wilson, Street, Garner most of our top up players are 21 and under and are players looking to showcase their wares. Coburg are similar. Was speaking to the parent of one of their players last week about this. His son is 19 and along with about 5 to 10 of their players are straight out of the U18's and are looking to showcase their wares in the VFL. It's actually making the VFL team a development platform. In this scenario I see that the MSD can become a little more like the draft where you get to see guys 6 to 9 months further on, playing against mature players. As is constantly debated on here players mature at different rates and thus some of these guys can be measured in a different environment to the U18s.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
I see a real divide in VFL teams this year. Werribee, Willy, Port all looking to be solid teams and building sides around mature age (24+) players. Whilst we have a few mature agers Wilson, Street, Garner most of our top up players are 21 and under and are players looking to showcase their wares. Coburg are similar. Was speaking to the parent of one of their players last week about this. His son is 19 and along with about 5 to 10 of their players are straight out of the U18's and are looking to showcase their wares in the VFL. It's actually making the VFL team a development platform. In this scenario I see that the MSD can become a little more like the draft where you get to see guys 6 to 9 months further on, playing against mature players. As is constantly debated on here players mature at different rates and thus some of these guys can be measured in a different environment to the U18s.
Spot on HK - good stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
There's a few young tall forwards to choose from if we go that way, Howes is one that has been mentioned, he looks a promising player. Is 2nd in the SANFL for contested marks, has a good kicking action, I like his agility and he looks good when the ball is on the deck.

Its a good pathway for talented players who didnt get drafted.
But some kids are not ready to play against mature 24+ grown men at 18 and a half.
If they play reserves or junior leagues they can get lost from view.
If they play as an overager in u18s i feel there's a big asterisk if theyre beating up on younger kids. The geelong ruck is an example

Reactions: 1 users
Not much to winge about with Howes. One grab. Moves well. Good size. Kick looks good. Not exactly a weed at 18yo.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
We need a developing key forward. He looks good. We get to see him up close for six months before deciding if we need another one in the national draft.
IMG_0512.jpeg

I thought you would’ve got that you pancake eating mother &#*%er!

One thing our VFL group have done well is really built the quality of the non AFL listed players. A few years ago we would have really young AFL players playing and no real support around them.
You can see it over the last few weeks when we have had 2/3 of the team as VFL listed players with only 7 AFL players available.
The VFL clubs have done a good job in the last couple of years as well with really just the Northern Bullants not competitive now. Williamstown, Southport, Werribee and Frankston in particular are all good teams this year and Coburg and Port Melbourne are not that far off.

Reactions: 5 users
One thing our VFL group have done well is really built the quality of the non AFL listed players. A few years ago we would have really young AFL players playing and no real support around them.
You can see it over the last few weeks when we have had 2/3 of the team as VFL listed players with only 7 AFL players available.
The VFL clubs have done a good job in the last couple of years as well with really just the Northern Bullants not competitive now. Williamstown, Southport, Werribee and Frankston in particular are all good teams this year and Coburg and Port Melbourne are not that far off.

Yeah I really like our VFL list build. With the salary cap set at a lower level for AFL listed VFL clubs you can go 1 of 2 ways. Get a bunch of similar (see average) listed players and hope your AFL quality will shine, or you do what we've done, get some experienced players with bigger bodies to be the core of the group, and use your scouting networks to bring in young players from various streams (recent 18 year olds that went undrafted, kids from other leagues etc).

I think we've set ourselves up really well with what we've done to give guidance to our young AFL players, but also to bring in young and hungry kids that just want an opportunity, and then get an early view of those kids potentially for recruiting into the AFL setup. We know we've had success from our VFL team over the last 5 or so years (either us or others - Essendon - drafting from our VFL list) but we are giving plenty of kids opportunities to be looked at for the next level up.

Reactions: 5 users
Its a good pathway for talented players who didnt get drafted.
But some kids are not ready to play against mature 24+ grown men at 18 and a half.
If they play reserves or junior leagues they can get lost from view.
If they play as an overager in u18s i feel there's a big asterisk if theyre beating up on younger kids. The geelong ruck is an example
Agree fully. It was really noticeable close up against Werribee, our young lads really struggled and couldn't handle elements of the physicality/strength that the 'Bee's could apply.

Reactions: 1 user