Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Not if they keep playing him in the 2's. Whats the knock on him why he isn't making their 1st team? Simpkin still to come in over him.

Hugely rated talent when he was drafted, his draft profile reads exactly what we need. Speed, ball winning, so whats the knock. I didn't watch North much last year but his stats look pretty good for a 3rd year player when you take out the 2 games he was either subbed on or subbed off.

19.7 disposals, 8.5 contested possessions, 4.5 tackles, 4.1 clearances, 2.2 centre clearances, 4.2 score involvements, all from under 74% TOG.

Seems decent just wondering what others thoughts are on him. If North don't play him much this year, then there is no chance they get a 1st for him. Looking at trade value of the likes of Kennedy, Coffield, Hollands, Bruhn, Stephens, Dow, it won't be a 1st for him unless he plays a lot more. I'd be having a chat with him and his manager.

Perfect scenario for us would be trading up to 2 top 10's (2 mids), get a pick in the teens and draft Faull or O'Farrell as a tall, Philips with another pick and then get another player in the 20's.
He played 16 games in his first year, none in his second year because of glandular fever, and then 16 games last year, his 3rd year.
Not sure what his preseason has been like, but I reckon he's a talent.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Just one draft, in twenty years on here, I swear we will draft a bunch of pure mids and ignore back flankers.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
With Ross out for some period our midfield depth gets tested even further.

Currently it's Taranto, Shai/Dusty, Dow, McAuliffe & Graham. It's light on by AFL standards. Even when compared to Wet Toast now.

Reckon Sonsie & possibly even MJ are going to get opportunities through there. Hopefully they can show something.

Reactions: 3 users

Skipper9

Tiger Cub
Dec 21, 2022

Currently it's Taranto, Shai/Dusty, Dow, McAuliffe & Graham. It's light on by AFL standards. Even when compared to Wet Toast now.

Reckon Sonsie & possibly even MJ are going to get opportunities through there. Hopefully they can show something.
Planted or buried..

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Sorry mate, you spoke too soon, put a line through Taranto now.

What a mess, midfield depth? We need more than depth, we just need a warm body to play there . . . then there's the forward line.

DS

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Sorry mate, you spoke too soon, put a line through Taranto now.

What a mess, midfield depth? We need more than depth, we just need a warm body to play there . . . then there's the forward line.

DS
Down to Shai, Martin, Green , Dow, McAuliffe Graham and Sonsie ( midfielder from Mid season draft ? )

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
We got bullied by West Coast.
Kelly, Reid, Yeo bullied us.
West Coast.
Was hard to watch.

Injuries have decimated our midfield but I’m not sure it’s that great even with inclusions.
We need top end talent.

Reactions: 2 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
No side would have any chance covering the loss of Prestia, Taranto, Hopper and Ross. That's removing the entire engine room.

That being said, I think we could use this opportunity to experiment. I want to try both Riolis in the midfield for a start. Pace, tackling, and break away is a start.

Campbell is another who I think should be tried there. Sonsie is still stuck at half forward.

I think we've seen enough of the Dow/Baker/McAuliffe combination. Dow is not up to it, and maybe won't ever be. McAuliffe is a first gamer, and looks to have all the attributes, but needs some senior support in there. Baker's a gun, but I don't think an inside mid. Half back or forward pocket.

The other glaring elephant in the changeroom is Nank. He was diabolical in the ruck. Kosi was more competitive. We may need to bring in Naismith, just to give our young mids half a chance. When your ruckman is just getting jumped all over, it's hard to rove.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
ATM we have Taranto.

And HFF/MIDs Shai Bolton and Liam Baker, both elite or better.

Graham and Ross are defensive mids of different persuasions with Ross improving atm.

Dow is terrific for 20 minutes a game and then a liability.

Campbell may make a mid in time. Less likely Mansell and MoJu. Maybe change mids.

McAuliffe is lightning when he's knows where to run and could pass Graham next year as an outside defensive mid. But we have to develop him as a ball winner. And a spare. And he may make the grade. He was benchmarked agains Reid on the weekend but our man will only improve with experience.

We will have a good draft pick this year and may take another mid. There are a few around.

But our existing stocks are low. Taranto. Maybe McAuliffe. It's not enough. Even if we add one in this draft. We have to poach one. And we need to draft another. And another.

The thing about all these injuries is that we are accidentally massively improving our player depth from next year. And maybe we'll do that in 2025 as well. Meanwhile we have to hang on to what we've got.

Here's what we shouldn't do - become a basketcase.

Reactions: 6 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
With our front line mids all out injured we have little or no depth of true mids left, only part time mids and some cubs. On Sunday it showed how problematic it is and how much we missed having Tim Tarranto as a mids leader