Midfield Depth | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Midfield Depth

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
French Tiger said:
If we grab Lynch, we should then concentrate on mids in the draft

Trade out, Ellis, Mcintosh, lloyd, miles,
Go into the draft with 6-7 picks and pick every kid that has a good history of winning contested possessions.
Sloane, Parker, rammamakas were all late picks

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
SCOOP said:
Still think this year we need to draft some more.

Big contested beast but with class.

Nothing too hard to find.
Say it again Scoop.

Contested beasts. Our midfield the last two weeks have been monstered.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
Smoking Aces said:
Say it again Scoop.

Contested beasts. Our midfield the last two weeks have been monstered.

The fact we are missing Jack Ross still tells me we are still short. RCD wasn’t expected to play a role in 2019 but with the current rate of injuries it’s telling that he isn’t in getting talked up in dispatches indicates he is still some time away. And that’s fine. I think we need to go again with mids but also need to look at key backs.

The midfield of three years has a framework but still needs some work.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
SCOOP said:
The fact we are missing Jack Ross still tells me we are still short. RCD wasn’t expected to play a role in 2019 but with the current rate of injuries it’s telling that he isn’t in getting talked up in dispatches indicates he is still some time away. And that’s fine. I think we need to go again with mids but also need to look at key backs.

2020 - 1st tier: Dusty, Chimp, Prestia, Lambo, Ross, Pickett.....not enough. Still way below.

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
Hopefully the club is not stupid enough to think because we drafted a few talls and midfielders the last drafts we can go back to loading up on small forward types

I dont have much trust in blair hartleys list management tbh..nervous

If we draft even one small forward pocket player in the nd , in the words of terry wallace "i'll spew'

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
SCOOP said:

Agree re: RCD he's hardly tearing the VFL apart which is fine as you say there wasn't a great deal expected this yr. in missing Ross we are basically back to what we had last yr, IMO Lambert is a bigger loss than we realise as well. The type we need are in every Draft & we certainly need another 2 in the Draft, ideally one that is ready to go from next yr.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
We neglected drafting true midfielders for years and it’s now really biting us on the arse. Picking flankers the likes of Lennon, Cellis and Menadue has really hurt our midfield depth. Those 3 picks should now be part of the midfield rotation. Two are gone and the other likely will be at year’s end.

We’ve started to address it but we’ve still got a way to go so have no choice but to keep on the path. Unfortunately it looks as though we also need KPDs and another ruckman. Hard to do the lot in a short time frame.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Bosch said:
Hopefully the club is not stupid enough to think because we drafted a few talls and midfielders the last drafts we can go back to loading up on small forward types

I dont have much trust in blair hartleys list management tbh..nervous

If we draft even one small forward pocket player in the nd , in the words of terry wallace "i'll spew'
If anything we could do with trading 1 or 2 out, some Clubs are desperate for them & will pay a good price to get one from us.

Mids should be priority 1 along with KPB's as Astbury/Grimes/Rance won't be around forever. Another Ruck as well but they are few & far between.

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
The midfield has been slaughtered the last two weeks. The big bodies of the Cats dominated so much that they had a period of fifteen goals to one. If we think we can rebound in 2020 then get some ready made big bodies. If not maybe trade out a small forward or two and a future first round pick to try and bring in three or four good picks at once and bring them through together. The backup ruck, key forward and key back stocks need work as well though so it's hard to fix everything at once.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Midfield usually gets beaten when we are at full strength. Was always going to get smashed tonight.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
Minus 40 in contested possessions.
Minus 24 in clearances.

Amazing we were a goal down midway through the last qtr.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
SCOOP said:

No Nankervis, Cotchin and Lambert will do that.

Questions need to be asked about why we don't have a better 2nd ruck on our list. Some teams have 3 ffs.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
St Kevin said:
Questions need to be asked about why we don't have a better 2nd ruck on our list. Some teams have 3 ffs.
Yep, this is one of the most frustrating aspects.

It’s pure ignorance to think you can go through 2 seasons of AFL with only ONE true ruckman on your list. Soldo and Chol are/were never going to cut it as AFL ruckmen.

Sydney for example had Callum Sinclair, Sam Naismith and Darcy Cameron as their 3 rucks but went and got another one in Michael Knoll at the recent MSD. And they still have pinch hitters to play ruck after that in McLean and Amartey.