MILLER PLEDGE ON FRAWLEY MEMO | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MILLER PLEDGE ON FRAWLEY MEMO

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Miller pledge on Frawley memo
9:04:37 AM Thu 24 July, 2003
afl.com.au
Richmond Director of Football, Greg Miller has conceded the club is embarrassed and disappointed by the leaking of an internal memo which portrays senior coach Danny Frawley as unpopular with the club’s supporters.

The memo, prepared by the club’s communications manager, Paul Maley describes supporter opinion of Frawley as being ‘at an all-time low’ and recommends that the coach should show more emotion and passion for Richmond and its supporters.

"Make no mistake, our supporters are angry. In particular, their ire is being directed at Danny Frawley,” Maley writes in the memo dated 16 July and published in the Age and Herald Sun today.

Miller said the club would be acting quickly to resolve any ‘issues’ between Maley and Frawley, and that he personally would be acting to ensure that internal affairs remain internal.

“It’s probably been emailed to one too many persons and it’s leaked from an office somewhere. It’s disappointing for it to come out that way and it’s not nice for the senior coach to wake up before a big game and read that sort of information,” Miller told Sport927.

“I’ll be closing up some of the loopholes that have occurred for this to get out. There’s also an issue of communication around the place.”

“It is the communications manager’s position to weigh-up how he feels things are going. It happens at every club. His comments are taken in by me. Some of it I agree with, some I don’t,” he said.

Miller noted that Frawley had been less prominent in the media in 2004 and more measured when conducting press conferences, but he denied that the coach had been gagged.

“In the past he was covering too many areas. We haven’t gagged him, we’re just sharing the load,” Miller said.

“In that, the communications manager has read it that perhaps some people are seeing Danny a bit less passionate. That couldn’t be further from the truth.”

“Danny loves the Richmond Football Club and he’s putting his heart and soul into everything. That’s one of his strengths.”

“I’ll be reassuring Danny. He knows what my feelings are, absolutely. Danny’s doing everything possible to succeed for the Richmond Football Club and he’ll continue to do so this year and next year.”

Miller said that he understood the mood of supporters after nine straight defeats, but stressed that the players were right behind the coach.

“Of course the supporters would be concerned and upset. Some blame the coach, some blame the players and some blame me. It just goes with the territory when you’re losing matches.”

"(But) the support (for Danny) of the playing group is first-class and their attitude and morale around the place is fine. Our results haven’t been there and the execution of our skills hasn’t been there, but the endeavour and morale of the playing group is fine.”

Miller said that he expected Frawley to be available to the media at his regular pre-training conference at Punt Road on Friday.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
shawry said:
Miller said that he understood the mood of supporters after nine straight defeats…

It's actually eight straight. Just feels like more.

Then again, who's counting any more?

Me. :'(

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Atleast we know one person down there has their finger on the pulse.... ::)

Welcome to P.R.E........... Paul Maley ;) 8)

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
"Miller said the club would be acting quickly to resolve any ‘issues’ between Maley and Frawley, and that he personally would be acting to ensure that internal affairs remain internal."

The problem isn't with Maley. He is an educated man and has put forward a realistic view of the members/supporters based on his own research and communication with members/supporters. I wouldn't think he has any "issue" with Danny, but he would be negligent in his job if he didn't highlight the problems that we all discuss on PRE.

Poor Greg Miller is caught between a boulder and the hardest place on earth..

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Captain Blood said:
Maybe this article was leaked early, and Miller meant it to be published AFTER next Saturday night LOL. ;D

I feel better already CB. :-\

lotus2

I'm a llama!
Jul 13, 2003
If course we are upset,we love our club dearly ,that is why 85% of us know that Frawley is the problem,a coach is not only supposed to have a game plan and be tactical,but one of the main things hes gotta do is keep them motivated and having a red hot go like they did early in the year,i bet we could all take losing a little bit better if we new that they tried their guts out,its Dannys job to have them chompin at the bit,most players are playing badly because i reckon Richardson is secretly coaching the team,everything revolves around him like he,s some legend he has got Danny and everyone down there wrapped around his finger and its showing on the field,we need a coach with a strong presence and balls enough to tell the likes of Richo go stuff yourself you play the game like this or *smile* off,Sam Newman is always saying how the delivery to him is always *smile* and how he is a champion player,i reckon Sam is sleeping with him,i reckon its the way he leads to the flanks and also the fact of much pressure he is putting on suppliers if they do a *smile* kick,he is a bad apple in the cart and it is spreading because our coach has not got what it takes to change his childish behaviuor.For example imagine richo goes to Essendon or Collingwood,surley, honestly, i want you to think about this, can you see Richo leading to the flank with a buckley pass coming at him,he slips and misses looks at Buckley and shakes his fists in disgust,,,,,,,OOOOOOHHHHHHH yeh like *smile* i wanna see what Mick Malthouse and the rest of team would do....... I rest my case

lotus2

I'm a llama!
Jul 13, 2003
How come Holland goes to the forward line and kicks 3 goals in 2 quarters and richo did nothing,because Holland saves his energy and leads straight up the middle great leads=great passes=great goals=great wins.....Holland is not a superstar,but the last 2 weeks he has presented in the forward line and is honest,Richo does 100 leads to the flank in 1 quarter then wonders why is stuffed by half time,we need a smart coach who can control him and hes energy,like ayres is doing with carey,thats what i call disipline,thats what we are missing and that comes from the coach,if you cant do that after 4 years then forget it.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
lotus2 said:
…we need a smart coach who can control him and hes energy,

Totally agree lotus2 and you're not telling me or anyone else anything we probably didn't already know or understand.

What I am saying is that our footy Club has to make a decision that they know to be the 'right' decision.

Not a 'forced' decision.

They are in a better position to know the ins and outs. We like to think we know everything, but it's about time we sat back and let the Club run things for a change.

For the sake of our footy Club, have some faith in people.