Morabito question | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Morabito question

SCOOP said:
Trengove. He is a sure thing I am told by people who are a lot better then me at this.

I push Morabito on the assumption both Scully and Trengove are gone.

I am very anti Butcher.
Thanks Scoop. It would be a miracle to see Melbourne overlook Trengove.

Is your anti- Butcher sentiment mainly to do with his kicking issues or are there other underlying issues you are aware of?

Smoking Aces said:
Thanks Scoop. It would be a miracle to see Melbourne overlook Trengove.

Is your anti- Butcher sentiment mainly to do with his kicking issues or are there other underlying issues you are aware of?

Speaking of Butcher, check out his kick into the fwd line in the early stages of Martin's YouTube vid. Makes Patto look silky.

BrisTiger24 said:
Speaking of Butcher, check out his kick into the fwd line in the early stages of Martin's YouTube vid. Makes Patto look silky.
Very silky ;D

looking at those highlights,

Trengove looks a gun, luvs a tackle, looks one sided and missed some targets will play rnd 1
Martin looks a gun also and has great footskills would slot in at HB and do our kick ins from rnd 1

Rohan - looks real good and i like the look of him, can see him playing as an attacking CHB loves to run and could also play CHF is very creative (how tall is he)

Dont think we can loose with any of them, shame we dont have 2 picks

just checked Rohan's height only 186 so will only be a flanker - no thanks

martin or trengove for me

bullus_hit said:
Leysy, I'm no expert and I've attempted to qualify most of my remarks with 'from the limited footage I've seen', in saying that I have some concerns about Morabito and maybe some WAFL watchers can clarify these issues.

Firstly, I think Morabito looks rushed when he kicks and often misses targets from short range, he seems to take on all before him then fails compose himself at critical moments.

Secondly, he hits the packs at full pace which is very eyecatching but I don't see him as a natural extractor in the Scully mode. I also wonder whether this will be as effective when he's up against the bigger bodies of the AFL.

Thirdly, he's not a noted goal kicker, nor is he a big possesion getter. His athletic abilities seem to centre around his bursts of pace but how's his endurance?

Again, I'm no expert and would appreciate input from others more qualified but for mine, I see him as a risk not worthy of pick 3.
Just appears to me that all the flaws or imperfections you seem to highlight might easily upgrade him to elite if a bit of maturity and experience polishes him up. We are talking about 18 y.o. kids and all clubs are looking for the raw fundamentals needing to be developed. The fact that Rich was seen to be as developed as he was going to get was the main reason he slipped from one with a bullet to seven.

So whats the Morabito question ??

Is it the 3rd instalment behind Angels and Demons and the DaVinci code or what.

TigerMasochist said:
Just appears to me that all the flaws or imperfections you seem to highlight might easily upgrade him to elite if a bit of maturity and experience polishes him up. We are talking about 18 y.o. kids and all clubs are looking for the raw fundamentals needing to be developed. The fact that Rich was seen to be as developed as he was going to get was the main reason he slipped from one with a bullet to seven.

Fair comments, he's got upside which is why many people have jumped on the bandwagon. With regards to his endurance, I think we'll get a clearer picture after the draft camp and have some idea as to whether he'll cut it as a permanent midfielder. If he's not got the tank, I wonder where his best position will be - a wing maybe but I would hope for a true goal kicking wingman at pick 3 in the draft.

I don't think he'll slot into a team as seamlessly as Rich, similar build but Rich had quite a few more runs on the board both in terms of raw stats and impact at senior level. Rich's kicking was and still is elite, Morabito whilst being dual sided doesn't possess the same sort of pinpoint accuracy over both long and short distances.

Is he the right man for Richmond at present? I personally think not but I'm sure others may beg to differ.

Morabito may perhaps be the most dynamic player in the draft but will never be an elite kick. Elite kicking skills need to be already present by the age of 17/18 in a junior. If not, there is little to no chance these elite kicking skills can be developed going forward.

RFC needs mids with elite kicking skills....the choice(s) at 3 are clear.

Bloody Melbourne have royally screwed us with this priority pick business... Either of Scully or Trengove would have been perfect. The fact they will get both has me spewing :mad: :mad: :mad:

For anyone intrested at the U18 champs this year his kicking efficiency was %67.1.

Exactly the same as Tom Scully and Kane Lucas.

Aegean Tiger said:
Bingo!

Young DM actually reminds of me of a young Cogs....but with elite foot skills.

yep, martin reminds be very much of simon black.

mtench said:
Moribito = Introverted outside mid who waits for the ball and kicking acc is questionable. 0.8 kicking for goal in the champs. = NO THANKS!!!!

Gee I'd have to agree. I've only just watched 3 video highlights of Morabito, and maybe they are not representative of the way he normally plays, I dont know, but wow, there was alot of kick and hope. Doesn't seem to get into the packs at all, was always skirting the packs, and whilst he tended to send in alot of balls inside 50, I don't think I saw one that hit a target. All up and under, and long shots for goal terrible. Also saw that his tackles just dont stick. Even the skinniest guys were breaking his tackles with ease. I'm wondering how possibly he could even be considered a number 3 pick. Was there something I've missed?

TigerMasochist said:
The fact that Rich was seen to be as developed as he was going to get was the main reason he slipped from one with a bullet to seven.

Dont agree with this at all. The reason he slipped is that for a change there was a great depth of key position players in the draft of 2008. The cards swung the way that he managed to drop to 7th, not any perceived veiw that he wasnt going to improve. I was hoping like hell he would drop to 8th. Brisbane are probably still pinching themselves to see if it was a dream.

taraba said:
Bloody Melbourne have royally screwed us with this priority pick business... Either of Scully or Trengove would have been perfect. The fact they will get both has me spewing :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just another reason to peg McMuddle to the clothes line by his knackers.