Caleb Daniel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Caleb Daniel

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Have been mulling over potential recruits for or third rounder and this little pocket rocket screams pick me. He's a midget at 168cm but he's every bit a footballer and would be a great replacement for Jake King. I just don't have any knocks on him apart from size, I look at guys like Jake Neade who is only 3 cm taller and I've come to the conclusion he can make an impact. He has a 16.1 beep under his belt, can run a sub 3sec/20 metres, can kick on both feet with above average accuracy, can apply great defensive pressure and can play both inside & out. What's not to like? Size, that's it, but he's the same height as Boomer so if you're good enough there is a role in AFL. If he's available by our 3rd pick I'd be very tempted, he's the exact type who could reap big rewards for such a lowly pick.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Leysy Days said:
Does he have truly elite acceleration & agility BH?

Did well in the agility test, also holds his ground in tackles and has a lovely sidestep. Daniel Kerr is the player who comes to mind, although he's fractionally shorter he has all the same weapons. Can also kick goals from outside the 50 metre arc and has wonderful peripheral vision. His DE was 90% over the three games he played at the carnival, truly staggering numbers. To put that in perspective, he amassed 217 Champion Data points in the round 6 game against Vic Metro, a number which I doubt has ever been replicated by an onballer in the history of the competition. Short he may be but everything else checks out, for mine he represents a gamble worth taking.

Gus

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 18, 2005
Leysy Days said:
Does he have truly elite acceleration & agility BH?

Mid range with his 3 sprint times and the repeat sprint test and top 25% for the agility test. His beep and V02 test results were great.
There might have been only one player that weighed in less than him

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Quality talent usually finds a way to make it. Flea Weightman, Daniel Kerr, Boomer Harvey, there's always room for a talented rodent in a football team, obviously not a whole team of midgets but nothing wrong with a good one tucked into a side.
Be interesting to see if anyone grabs him or not.

linuscambridge

Tiger Superstar
Jul 13, 2004
bullus_hit said:
Have been mulling over potential recruits for or third rounder and this little pocket rocket screams pick me. He's a midget at 168cm but he's every bit a footballer and would be a great replacement for Jake King. I just don't have any knocks on him apart from size, I look at guys like Jake Neade who is only 3 cm taller and I've come to the conclusion he can make an impact. He has a 16.1 beep under his belt, can run a sub 3sec/20 metres, can kick on both feet with above average accuracy, can apply great defensive pressure and can play both inside & out. What's not to like? Size, that's it, but he's the same height as Boomer so if you're good enough there is a role in AFL. If he's available by our 3rd pick I'd be very tempted, he's the exact type who could reap big rewards for such a lowly pick.

I totally agree. I think the reinvention of the tiny forward has come about with the forward press and player zones, these small players just don't get caught one out in a marking contest much anymore. Plus, with much smaller body weight and shorter levers the laws of physics mean they can change directions far more easily than the taller players. I would love to see Francis take a chance on him.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
This kid can seriously play and is ready to go immediately. On pure talent he is top 10 but height will make recruiters question.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
Whoever gets him have got themselves a beauty.

Remember Lewis Taylor this time last year.

Everybody saying he was too small - Rising star winner!!

Caleb Daniel is seriously good and we'd be naive not to look at him.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
tigerdave said:
Whoever gets him have got themselves a beauty.

Remember Lewis Taylor this time last year.

Everybody saying he was too small - Rising star winner!!

Caleb Daniel is seriously good and we'd be naive not to look at him.
I saw some highlights that were posted here and he did look a goer, but is he worth pick 12 or would we hope he falls through to our next pick?

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I like him.

I don't think he'll last till our round 3 pick.

The one thing I like is his penetration by foot.

Small but powerful peg.

tigerdave

Ya just gotta stand in line
Feb 1, 2006
CarnTheTiges said:
I saw some highlights that were posted here and he did look a goer, but is he worth pick 12 or would we hope he falls through to our next pick?

Late first early second i reckon.

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Something about his balance and kicking technique reminds me of Darren Jarman, albeit a very tiny version. And his sure-handedness is crazy good. If selected he'll be the smallest player in the comp, and he's not broad like Boomer, so who knows. Could be an absolute jet or just too small to make it. i suspect the former. Worth checking his highlights on Youtube just for the wow moments. i really hope we take a chance on him if we can.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Gus said:
Mid range with his 3 sprint times and the repeat sprint test and top 25% for the agility test. His beep and V02 test results were great.
There might have been only one player that weighed in less than him

Hmmm, mid range sprint is a concern ILO.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
I've just gone over his stats at SANFL level and his numbers are pretty similar to James Aish from last year, his DE has held up and is up around the 84% mark, this is Pendles territory and is as rare as hens teeth.

Leysy Days said:
Hmmm, mid range sprint is a concern ILO.

Just going on his SA combine results, he recorded a 2.99 sec/20 metre sprint, this is quick enough and is something which can be improved upon I believe, it places him around the top 3rd of competitors. At the National Combine his repeat sprints were average but still in the top 50%, agility top 25%, endurance top 1%.

With regards to the sprint times, whilst I believe it's very important for a small fella to have acceleration they also need the ability to stand up in tackles, Daniel has that and also has superb vision (finished in top 10 in clean hands test).

His running capacity is very similar to Billy Hartung, his height is the same as Boomer (although 7 kg lighter). Can he pile on the weight to have a more imposing frame? Difficult to know and I guess this will determine whether he makes it or not. I still think he's worth it with our 3rd rounder, hopefully the ceiling is a Zorko and not a Andrew Hooper (if you remember him from 2009).

tigerblood82

Tiger Rookie
Apr 3, 2007
Really like the look of him. Kid knows how to compete. Don't forget small guys also = more free kicks for high tackles especially at afl level... Get Kingy to teach him the arm lift and he'll go

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
PJ in Osaka said:
Liking the sound of him. Reckon the club is into him at all?

His attributes will be well known to us but due to height I think not although he looks to have all the makings of a star. We have taller quicks in mind i think - pity if so cause I reckon he would be a zippy thing.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
GEDS1 said:
His attributes will be well known to us but due to height I think not although he looks to have all the makings of a star. We have taller quicks in mind i think - pity if so cause I reckon he would be a zippy thing.

Yep, tend to agree, we usually shy away from players who are sub 176cm so I can't see us embracing a 168cm player. A shame really because with limited rotations the players with elite tanks will become more & more valuable. He will obviously need to put on additional 4-5 kg's but I think this will be possible with a couple of years in the system, the challenge will then be to maintain his aerobic capabilities. My gut instinct tells me he will go somewhere around the pick 50 mark, I think there would be a really good chance he'll be available by our third. No guarantees of course, Andrew Hooper starred at the carnival & blitzed at the combine yet only managed a rookie position at the Dogs, he was ultimately delisted after 7 games.