Rhys Mathieson ... Daft prospect | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Rhys Mathieson ... Daft prospect

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Talk of us picking him up at 12 :help
Anyone out there want us to pick up Rhys Mathieson with pick 12 ?
If you havent heard of him check out his low lights package

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4tLObz2yb4

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
btoz_01 said:

Richmond supporters always seem to find out who the club will select way before the national draft.
Has been happening for years.
I heard about our interest in Mathieson about a month ago.
Like you said very average highlight package. A cheap version of Daisy Thomas
We to try to get Oliver. 2 Martins.

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
He likes to get involved in the play I will give him that much

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
zippadeee said:
Richmond supporters always seem to find out who the club will select way before the national draft.
Has been happening for years.
I heard about our interest in Mathieson about a month ago.
Like you said very average highlight package. A cheap version of Daisy Thomas
We to try to get Oliver. 2 Martins.
This old chestnut again.
Supporters of all clubs always hear stories out about their club's interest in players pre draft. I know someone who used to work in the office of players agents and he told me 90% plus leaks comes from agents, the players themselves and their family and friends. Very few draft leaks come from clubs.
Richmond is no different to any other club.
tigerdave said:
No one liked Corey Ellis this time last year either!
yes, there was massive angst about Corey Ellis being picked. There may have been some membership microwaving threatened ;D
I am sure we will get a good player at 12, the last 2 look pretty promising

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
btoz_01 said:

To be fair they've got footage of probably his worst two games(WA game he was knocked out) This kids a contested ball animal (Mitchell like I believe) anybody looks a little scrappy when their feeding the ball out from congestion. Recon he's got the mongrel were lacking in the middle. The only knock on him is maybe his attitude? I know he missed his interview with GWS at the combine. He basically trained his whole life to be an AFL player.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
btoz_01 said:

SCOOP is very keen on him I believe, has discussed him in depth on the other thread.

Stylo

Tiger Champion
Oct 13, 2012
mtench said:
To be fair they've got footage of probably his worst two games(WA game he was knocked out) This kids a contested ball animal (Mitchell like I believe) anybody looks a little scrappy when their feeding the ball out from congestion. Recon he's got the mongrel were lacking in the middle. The only knock on him is maybe his attitude? I know he missed his interview with GWS at the combine. He basically trained his whole life to be an AFL player.

Yeah, I'm led to believe he's a lot better than what the video suggests (which isn't a highlights package btw). I remember people crying about how Ellis' looked so vanilla last year based on his video(s).

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
mtench said:

Comparing him to Dawks Mitchell? WOW
Sure he gets in and under but constantly hand balling it out in the open to no one just in hope ?? WTF
Looks like he has no vision cant hit a target
Anyone got better highlights clip post the link

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Funny how people joke about Greg Miller recruiting via a player's video. And castigate him for it.
Yet quite a few are making judgements calls from using the same.
I think we've come quite aways in the last few years so I will trust those that actually study these kids in the flesh and by any other source.

Stylo said:
Yeah, I'm led to believe he's a lot better than what the video suggests (which isn't a highlights package btw). I remember people crying about how Ellis' looked so vanilla last year based on his video(s).

Exactly, Stylo.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
To be fair everyone here is a mug amateur and will admit that. Greg Miller was paid and was officially in charge of recruiting.

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Still trying to find Mathieson's elusive "highlight" package with an overall disposal efficiency of 67% ::)
Dont think his highlight package exists

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
willo said:
Funny how people joke about Greg Miller recruiting via a player's video. And castigate him for it.
Yet quite a few are making judgements calls from using the same.
I think we've come quite aways in the last few years so I will trust those that actually study these kids in the flesh and by any other source.

Yeah, Some junior watchers seem to know their stuff and do good analysis and have done for years. I like reading it and appreciate it. But as they have admitted, they aren't pros. They might be as good as the pros given the time and resources the pros have, I actually think some might give it a shake, but still we don't know that.

The pros work on this full time, have experience and resources like databases and professional networks, and also access to the players for in-depth assessments, all of which enables them to triangulate data and evidence to better make decisions.

On top of this there is the stakes factor. Even if you know your stuff, its much easier to say 'I would have taken x', than is to call out the name of a player who carries the hopes of 200K-odd people and upon whose success your reputation and livelihood rest.

Bit different to watching a highlight reel, a televised game and maybe a live game. (I know some enthusiastic amateurs spend a lot of time and watch a lot of games though, more referring to those who pick a favourite based on a youtube then whinge and carry on if they don't get picked).

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
tigersnake said:
Yeah, Some junior watchers seem to know their stuff and do good analysis and have done for years. I like reading it and appreciate it. But as they have admitted, they aren't pros. They might be as good as the pros given the time and resources the pros have, I actually think some might give it a shake, but still we don't know that.

The pros work on this full time, have experience and resources like databases and professional networks, and also access to the players for in-depth assessments, all of which enables them to triangulate data and evidence to better make decisions.

On top of this there is the stakes factor. Even if you know your stuff, its much easier to say 'I would have taken x', than is to call out the name of a player who carries the hopes of 200K-odd people and upon whose success your reputation and livelihood rest.

Bit different to watching a highlight reel, a televised game and maybe a live game. (I know some enthusiastic amateurs spend a lot of time and watch a lot of games though, more referring to those who pick a favourite based on a youtube then whinge and carry on if they don't get picked).

Can't argue with any of that, just on Mathieson, I've seen plenty of games where he's provided his team with plenty of grunt in the middle. He's not pretty but he's generally effective at winning contested possessions and winning those all important clearances. His contested possession ratio is up there with guys like Dangerfield & Cripps, players who can also look a little ragged at times. If his aerobic base was higher I would have him in the frame, however in our situation I think we'd be better served running with a player like Ah Chee who has some qualities that are much harder to come by.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
He sounds like another Jacko/Tuckie replacement which is all good, but we have just picked up Townsend and Moore for that role too. I'd like us to select a player with class, like Corey Ellis, because it rewards a team in many ways, not just having some mongrel.
Still like the look of Burton as I said earlier. Love guys with marking and goal-scoring power who can be dangerous up forward but move into the midfield or even add support down back too. If he can be anything like Stringer, would be a great addition. Although no idea if the go-home-to-Adelaide issue is a consideration at all.
BTW, haven't noticed Danger being too 'ragged', at least not when he breaks clear.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Burton's knee injury was very serious. Has to be a risk he will have further complications down the track.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Leysy Days said:
Burton's knee injury was very serious. Has to be a risk he will have further complications down the track.

That was the same with judd 's shoulders. The same with Stringers broken leg and the same with Darling drinking issues.
It's all a smoke screen.
If the club thinks he can get himself right and he is good enough they should select him
I'm over missing out on good kids because of so called issues physical or behavior issues.