Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood is pretty ****** right now.
Live action remakes of classic Disney cartoons, Music biopics & Marvel-Pixar sequels up the wazoo.
I'm getting older sure but FFS entertain me with some originality.
If you're looking for originality, there are some terrific Korean movies around at present. Burning (based on a Murakami story) is brilliant/disturbing - may be off the cinemas by now. Also Parasite is a ripper.

Reactions: 1 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Live action remakes of classic Disney cartoons, Music biopics & Marvel-Pixar sequels up the wazoo.

Disney's dominance is a big problem. Variable ticket pricing needs to be introduced, pronto.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
If you're looking for originality, there are some terrific Korean movies around at present. Burning (based on a Murakami story) is brilliant/disturbing - may be off the cinemas by now. Also Parasite is a ripper.

Yes, enough with the incessant superhero nonsense and endless Transformer sequels.

Korean films are the best! I like these classics:

Memories of Murder (provincial Korean cops trying to solve serial killer mystery - allegory of Korean politics of the 70s)
The Chaser (relentless minder for hookers tries to rescue one from a relentless serial killer of hookers)
Yellow Sea (Korean gangster makes enemy of the boss - violence ensues)
Bittersweet Life (Korean gangster makes enemy of the boss etc etc)
Old Boy (of course, the most accessible of the Vengeance trilogy)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (more arthouse-y than Old Boy)
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance (even more arthouse-y)

Super arthouse but great, anything by Kim Ki-Duc - Samaria, 3-Iron, Winter Spring Summer Fall etc etc.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Disney's dominance is a big problem. Variable ticket pricing needs to be introduced, pronto.
Recently tried to rewatch ‘The Last Jedi’ again hoping I’d missed something the first time I hated it. Nope just a steaming pile of rehashed Disney crap. After the first two films in that franchise everything has been woeful.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Thanks for the list. I've only seen Old Boy which was very intense and out there.

The others in the Vengeance trilogy are even more art-house so maybe pass on those. More accessible are Yellow Sea, Bittersweet Life. Great Korean gangster flix with heart and those amazing long action sequences.

Train to Busan is a great Korean zombie flick. The Host is another very good commercial action movie - strange large aquatic monster threatens Seoul - normally I hate films like that but its got a lot of heart and soul.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The whole Star Wars franchise. I loved the original but I was 12. Saw Alien shortly after and knew that was more my cup of tea even though I was in terror sweats for the second act - I think I was too dehydrated to sweat for the third. But then even Strikes Back and ROTJ seemed a bit sucky to me, especially those Ewoks. On the other hand, I was getting older. The whole Lucas prequels sucked balls. I understand how this guy feels

But to be honest, I just don't care enough. And these new ones.. Fan service anyone? Nauseating.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

Hollywood is dead and out of ideas, all its doing now is re making old popular movies and then pushing the Liberal PC agenda upon the masses changing characters actors, sexes and races to suit the modern PC paradigm.

Garbage.

Last edited:

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Another version of my favorite film, ‘apocalypse now’ to be released this week. Said to be the best of the 3. Very excited

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006

Parasite will win Best International (formerly Foreign) at the Oscars next year. And, while I'm at it, Cynthia Erivo will win Best Actress. (Head to Sportsbet to take the early odds.)

Michael

Tiger Champion
Nov 30, 2004
Parasite will win Best International (formerly Foreign) at the Oscars next year. And, while I'm at it, Cynthia Erivo will win Best Actress. (Head to Sportsbet to take the early odds.)
Yep Parasite is a ripper. I wonder if he's still down there

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Saw The Big Lebowski for the first time a couple of weeks ago - can't believe it took me that long. Hilarious.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
A movie released in 2011, The Guard, is another I recently saw that I enjoyed. Brendan Gleeson is a superb character actor and shines in this one. If you have a couple of hours to kill could do worse than watch this.

In Bruges another of his that is very good. (with a great cameo by Ralph Fiennes - the phone call dialogue he has with Gleeson is very funny).

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood. Worth seeing but I'd rather watch Basterds, Pulp or Jackie Browne another five times each before seeing it again.