Movies | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Movies

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I “liked” it (as much as you can like a movie about divorce). If you’ve been through a messy divorce you can relate to it.

NB is hit and miss for me. “Kicking and screaming” is a great kids movie, “While we,re young” I loved, and whilst I thought The Meyerwitz stories was a a level below I still appreciated it.

But yes, the Life Aquatic, Squid and the whale, Margot at the wedding and Greenberg ....zzzzzz.
I've been through a divorce. The amiability between the characters while her god-awful lawyer was going in dry on him was one of the least believable things of the movie.

The Life Aquatic was Wes Anderson, and leagues better than anything Baumbach has crapped out, with the exception of The Meyerwitz stories, which was good.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The missus and sister took the granddaughter to see Shaun the sheep, they reckon it was great. I went to the pub, I reckon that was even better.
They don't need to know about the skimpy barmaid.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Eagerly awaited Parasite to become available to stream after all the great reviews it’s had but it didn’t do it for me, found it slow and uninspiring. Maybe it suffered from all the great reviews. I went to see “Come from away” the stage musical back in December after all its great reviews and was disappointed in that so as I say maybe seeing things after they’ve been praised so much means they can’t live up to the hype.

Watched Renee Zellweger in Judy and she was fantastic. The movie itself was moderate but she blitzed.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Joker... hmmm. Hadn’t seen a Batman movie for 30 years and (perhaps stupidly) hadn’t assumed the connection. And on that level it works - as a (very dark) Batman prequel. Most of the movie comes across as a poor man’s Taxi Driver, with little nuance, until Arthur goes right off the deep end. It’s not clear what the riff-raff are upset about, other than some vague grievance against wealthy people, but the fictitious setting of Gotham City stops it from being too disturbing.

It was OK but the most interesting thing for me is that a movie like this should find widespread popularity. Might be one of those like Taxi Driver, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest and A Clockwork Orange that rarely screens on FTA. No classic for mine, though.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Fantastic to see Bong Joon-Ho sweep the annual complete crapshoot/clusterf@#k that is the Oscars.

If you watch it and like it, check out some of his others.

Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Joker... hmmm. Hadn’t seen a Batman movie for 30 years and (perhaps stupidly) hadn’t assumed the connection. And on that level it works - as a (very dark) Batman prequel. Most of the movie comes across as a poor man’s Taxi Driver, with little nuance, until Arthur goes right off the deep end. It’s not clear what the riff-raff are upset about, other than some vague grievance against wealthy people, but the fictitious setting of Gotham City stops it from being too disturbing.

It was OK but the most interesting thing for me is that a movie like this should find widespread popularity. Might be one of those like Taxi Driver, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest and A Clockwork Orange that rarely screens on FTA. No classic for mine, though.
OFOTCN is an absolute classic. If only they played it as much as Love Actually.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Watched Ride Like A Girl last night. Only positive is that I now have a new candidate when there's a debate about the worst sports movie of all time

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Just saw Parasite and regret not seeing it before now, its a goddamn masterpiece.

Same for me, Ian. Caught it yesterday. Simply brilliant blend of comedy and tragedy. Has to be to make the Yanks award their Oscars to an actual foreign film, Asian in fact and largely foreign language.

Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Same for me, Ian. Caught it yesterday. Simply brilliant blend of comedy and tragedy. Has to be to make the Yanks award their Oscars to an actual foreign film, Asian in fact and largely foreign language.

For those who want more K-Flicks, here's a starter. Be warned, many of these are very art-house.

If you want more accessible, try:

Thrillers/Gangster
Old Boy
The Chaser
Yellow Sea
Bittersweet Life
Miracle in Cell No. 7

The Host
is Bong's creature flick - but it's great. Similar themes of family emerge.

One of the things I like about Korean movies is they will kill off major characters that you love, just because.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users