MY First ever footy game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

MY First ever footy game

Skills

Tiger Champion
Apr 19, 2004
Inner City
My first game...Round 22 1977: Richmond Vs St Kilda.
I still have vivid memories of Kevin Sheedy running through half-back, Alan Edwards, Neville Roberts (#2) & Kevin Bartlett getting knocked out by Val Perovic...Just ask KB, he still remembers that hit.
Tigers by 10 goals...

cam

Tiger Rookie
Apr 4, 2005
I think, my first game was Vs the Bulldogs. I could be wrong but i think we lost it my less than a goal (maybe 3 points)

This was probably 1992 or around then, maybe earlier.

Otis

Voodoo Child
Dec 24, 2004
Melbourne
My first game was Rich v St.K @ Waverley Park in 1994. We won without any pressure from the Saints, Scotty Turner kicked 4 goals (legend). I got some pretty good photos that day too. After that, the next 15 Richmond games I went to we actually won... until the 1995 qualifying final vs North Melbourne.

TheBigDog

The Champ is here!!
Nov 8, 2004
Melbourne
I remember my first game (non Richmond) The Old Man got tickets from 77 Brownlow winner Graham Teasdale ( He of the velvet tux) and took us from the country to see South Melb Vs Fitzroy at the Lakeside Oval in 1978. I was 8 years old, and all these teams and suburban grounds are gone....

Also came down on junior footy trips to see many Richmond games, KB's 400th was a highlight. We were in The Tiges Zone, so we got tickets, etc, also had Richmond players come to our school, 3 hrs from Melbourne for footy clinics, etc. Emmet Dunne, Stephen Mount, Merv Keane ( He was a local)

Very cool for a junior Tige...... :clap

kb7882

Tiger Champion
Jul 10, 2003
Lilydale
23.21.159 said:
The earliest game I know I was at was Round 1, 1970, not yet 7 years old. We played Fitzroy at the G on a Sunday! Sacreligious then but it was to accommodate a royal visit so Betty & co. could see the game. We got done.

Hey 23etc, that was my first game too. We got FLOGGED.

TigerGoneNorth

It all starts with One's defence.
Feb 6, 2005
London
Mine was v. Essendon in 1967 at the "G", the day Billy Barrot went off, got his face stitched up and then went back on again (no interchange in those days of course). Left a big impression on a 6 year old boy I can tell you!

tigeronaharley

Tiger Superstar
Jan 29, 2005
LAIDLEY HEIGHTS.QLD
Living in Melb as a young tacker used to travel by train to the different grounds in the 60's, still vivid in my mind was getting a job at the 'G'  picking up drink cans.. needless to say not many were collected as I sat in the isles watching the footy, even supplied with a white coat!  Used to sit with the RFC cheer squad and sing all the songs, [build a bonfire, 1..2..3..4.. who do we barrack for 5..6..7..8.. &we are the boys from the RFC & many others ]. I can remember the cheer squad leader was a fellow called 'Fred', hit over the head with a beer bottle one day by an opposition supporter & the 'ole black duffle coat with all the badges, Paddy Guinane's enormous hands, Barrott's dropkicks.. ah those were the days. And of course Punt Road... luv those Tigers.
                                                          'Go Tiges'  :thumbsup :tigerhead

B

Bill James

Richmond v Fitzroy at the G 1972. Tiges won by around 40 points. Lasting memories are of Craig McKellar pushing of the fence to take a big pack mark on defensive goal line and Neil Balme (with long hair) putting I think Harvey Merrigan in a headlock and ramming his head into the point post. I think this was pre padding not sure.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
As lived closer to Geelong mine was 1980 Geeloong V St Kilda and I wore my tiger jumper in 1980, I was only 5 but Cats supporters weren't happy with me.

A few weeks later went with my Pa who was Pies man to see us beat Collingwood and I stayed true to the Tigers as I thought it would be the start of a beautiful relationship, little did I know at age 6 that would be as good as it gets.

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
Wish to god I could remember it clearly (too many years and beers under the belt since then) but it was in 1966 and against the Roy Boys. All I really know is that day made me a Tiger for life and Billy Barrot would become a little kids life long hero.

BendItLikeBrown

He's Big, He's Strong, He's Good, It's Richo!
Feb 14, 2006
Mine was Richmond VS Collingwood, whooped their bums! Front row seats. I think it was 2001, 2002 or 2003. I can't remember. :)

Darth Tiger

The Sash is Back
Nov 24, 2004
Victoria
1st April 1978, Round 1 at the G, Richmond versus Carlscum. Sat in the old Southern Stand and can still remember the smell from the flooded urinals.

The Flea's 1st game and a (then) record score and winning margin against the Carlsum.

Still got the footy record complete with pie stains. Some of the pie got onto the scarf which hasn't been washed since.

Got Royce Hart's (very faded) signature on it from a clinic the year before in Bulleen.

checkside

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2005
Australia
My first game was in 1999 i think, It was just after i moved to victoria. I cant even remember who we played and if we won but it was the game at the MCG where the scoreboard caught fire. Other than that the only other thing i remember is me crying because i didnt think Nick Daffy was playing because he ran out in his Tracksuit

Jools

Tiger Champion
Sep 25, 2004
Hoppers Crossing
My first was around 1969, Richmond v South Melbourne at the MCG. Don't remember the score, but we must have won, because I became a Tiger for life. I had never been in such a big crowd in my life.
We moved to the country not long after, so didn't get to games. I took out a junior membership in the early 70's, remember listening to games on my radio because we didn't have a TV for a while.

Ready

The future is unwritten
Aug 21, 2004
Richmond Vic 3121
checkside said:
My first game was in 1999 i think, It was just after i moved to victoria. I cant even remember who we played and if we won but it was the game at the MCG where the scoreboard caught fire. Other than that the only other thing i remember is me crying because i didnt think Nick Daffy was playing because he ran out in his Tracksuit
Round 22, 1999 v. Carlton. We won after Justin Murphy ran through the mark in the closing stages and gave away a fifty-metre penalty. Jeff Gieschen's last game as coach and Ray Hall's debut.

BOOF

Tiger Cub
May 3, 2006
My first match was Richmond v North Melbourne, MCG night match, 1986. It was our last win for the year, and we hadn't won for a while before hand either. I was 5, and the things i remember are
Going into the city with mum to meet dad at work,
Tram ride to the ground,
Sitting in the old southern stand, second level, near the wing,
and the general feel of the footy. I don't remember it, but at least i saw Rioli play, Phil Egan etc.

Mum and dad went to KB's 400th match, i was 2 or 3, and had evidently contemplated taking me, only to leave me with nana and pa! Would love to have claimed that to be my first match!

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
My first match was uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm, oops alzheimers is setting in. I think I was about 5 & it was played at Footscray. :spin